Sportsnet: Leafs have 18.45 million in cap room this offseason

yourbestfriend

May 28, 2010
I didn't say Tavares would take a 1 year deal, I said he'd be a target because every team will offer him a deal

He'd be a target because every other team is offering deals...what does that even mean? The Leaf's can't afford to give him a long term deal, which presumably all other teams will be doing if he decides to go UFA. The Leaf's can only afford a 1year deal.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It may not be the worst idea to let JVR walk but resign Bozak. Finding 2 decent centers is going to be tough. Plus I expect Lilj to get a long look with Dermott next year. I actually think our D may be set with the assets we own
i'd rather look for a long term solution at 3C (anisimov possibly) or sign a better 3C than bozak. someone that is above average defensively, can chip in quite a few points (35-40) and does not need to be sheltered. a guy like paul stastny comes to mind. he may not want a 1 yr deal but who knows. if he doesn't get a lot of long-term offers, which he most likely will, i hope the leafs sign him to a large 1 year deal. i also believe our defense is set, but only as of now. this time next year is when the big decisions will be made. half our top-4 are pending ufa's (gardiner and hainsey) and hainsey might retire and gardiner may be too pricey for us. lets hope one or two of lillegren/borgman/rosen/holl make the team out of camp and play some limited bottom pairing minutes for this team and take the next step to becoming top-4 dmen

Reactions: remote

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
Neither of those players are signing a 1 year deal. They will get big money on long term deals already, term wont change anything.

I never said that they would sign those deals, its just an example of what toronto will be able to do in free agency. I don't see toronto offering a multi year deal this offseason to anyone unless its under 5 million per.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I never said that they would sign those deals, its just an example of what toronto will be able to do in free agency. I don't see toronto offering a multi year deal this offseason to anyone unless its under 5 million per.

I get what you are going for but they will never sign those deals so its not something the leafs will be able to do. Examples should be realistic

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I think this is a litness test for how well you understand the NHL. While they do have a lot of cap this year, the following year it is going to get messy. So any long term contracts will likely come at the cost of another roster player when the time comes. A lot of that "free cap" is allocated in young core players future deals.

So unless Tor is going to go big on a 1 year deal which is more uncommon it really isn't that useful.

Maybe someone like Kovi might fit that though or an older player like Jumbo Joe

A litness test is measured at a Travis Scott concert.

Reactions: Meeqs

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
so not doughty then.
I don't know what doughty wants, I can't predict the future.

I know he wants to win, I know he is childhood friends with Kadri. I know the Leafs are a up and coming team with a great young core. I know they are coached well. I know they are managed well. I know the leafs can offer endorsement deals like they presented stamkos with.

I don't know what kind of cap hit doughty will agree to.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
I get what you are going for but they will never sign those deals so its not something the leafs will be able to do. Examples should be realistic

Get past the names, the point is that they can overpay a player that fits for 1 year. Thats what they will be able to do this year and only this year.

Reactions: Meeqs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He'd be a target because every other team is offering deals...what does that even mean? The Leaf's can't afford to give him a long term deal, which presumably all other teams will be doing if he decides to go UFA. The Leaf's can only afford a 1year deal.

If you don't offer a player of that caliber a deal you aren't doing your job.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
I don't know what doughty wants, I can't predict the future.

I know he wants to win, I know he is childhood friends with Kadri. I know the Leafs are a up and coming team with a great young core. I know they are coached well. I know they are managed well. I know the leafs can offer endorsement deals like they presented stamkos with.

I don't know what kind of cap hit doughty will agree to.

interesting that you would predict a future leafs line up with lots of leaf friendly money deals.

Reactions: KingTrouty

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
Lots of options available: Let's say we trade Martin over this summer, and then Marleau sometime next year, Ron Hainsey comes off the books suddenly we have an extra 12 million dollars to spend right out of the blue. Along with no bonus money being used here's how it breaks down (via capfriendly) (lets say all of the above happens for 2019-2020):

Grundstrom(0.925)- Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri (4.5)- Brown (2.1)
Hyman (2.25)- Nylander (6.5)- Kapanen
4LW- 4C- Leivo?

Rielly (5m)- RD
Gardiner - Zaitsev (4.5)
Dermott (0.863)- Liljegren? (0.925)
Carrick? ()

Andersen (5)
Sparkie (0.675)

Kessel (1.2)
Horton (5.3)- LTIR

Total 34.4m
Lets say the Cap is 80m.
Available space: 45.6m
To sign: Matthews, Marner, Johnsson, Kapanen, a 4th line, Gardiner, a RD.
Matthews (10m), Marner (7m), Johnsson (1.5?), Kappy (1.5m?), 4th line?, Gardiner (6m?), RD?
So far: 26m used on Matthews, Marner, Johnsson, Kappy, Gardiner.

So we have 20 million left to sign a RD, and a 4th line. More than enough space to even have a bad contract (like Martin- 2.5) and sign a big ticket RD (12m) and still have 5-6m dollars for two fourth liners (and any differences in the salaries of anyone mentioned above).

Of course if Tavares is signed, we wont have space for that big ticket RD, and probably gonna have to trade Marleau/Martin, but it is doable for sure.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
That number seems off. CapFriendly shows us having $25,229,167 for next year not counting the cap rise. Take off 2.55 for overage and that puts us closer to 23 mil which is a 5 million disparity. You figure Nylander comes in around 6ish and that is 17 needing 8 players with Carrick and Johnsson both needing new deals that will be under a mil. That is 15 needing 6.

The following year another 11 mil comes off books though Gardiner and Hainsey are big parts of that.

I'd say this is the year to grab a D like OEL or Doughty and forget Taveres. At least if you go for the big D you are upgrading on of the two I mentioned long term and their current cap hit is going toward that, Taveres would just create a huge problem when Marner and Matthews come in for their 17-18 mil.

Seriously we're better of with Nylander at C and moving Brown and Kap higher up the food chain on the right flank.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
If they could nab Carlson they could try to sign him+resign Nylander(although since they'll have to eventually resign Matthews amd Marner they might have to let Gardiner walk if they do sign Carlson.)

Reactions: Funk21

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
cant really do much more than 1 year deals, so I dont really expect them to do much with the cap space.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
interesting that you would predict a future leafs line up with lots of leaf friendly money deals.
I think we can all agree it's theoretical, and dont know what the actual deals will be. Leafs have signed our rfas to great deals. Hyman brown rielly Kadri etc.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
You seriously think the cap will go up by $10M?

If we use Cap friendly as an example, the leafs will have 25 million in cap space for next year, take away the 2.5 million with the bonus overage and add the projected 5 million cap increase. I don't think that cap friendly is 100 percent accurate so i estimate that it would be between 25-27 mill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad