Sportsnet: Leafs have 18.45 million in cap room this offseason

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I'd imagine they will be leaving quite a bit of empty cap space for next season, since they need to splurge around 15-18 million to lock up Matthews and Marner for 2019/20.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
So 18.45 in cap space, does that account for Matthews and Marners bonuses for next season? I'd say they have to be pretty careful with this cap space. Guessing we will know the plan when they sign Matthews to his next contract.

Reactions: Devonator

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
I'd imagine they will be leaving quite a bit of empty cap space for next season, since they need to splurge around 15-18 million to lock up Matthews and Marner for 2019/20.

I see them spending all the money on a bunch of 1 year deals to try and win before they give Marner and Matthews their big contracts.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It will be interesting to see what the leafs do this year, they could offer Tavares or Carlson big money on a 1 year deal. I think a lot is going to ride on how well they do in the playoffs this year.

It will give top UFA's a chance to see just how close Toronto could be to a cup.

With the leafs 3 core players all still in their ELCs we really don't have an accurate handle on the teams situation and needs long term in the current cap structure. They are able to greatly stack their roster with the close to 20m in cap added cap efficiency from the kids and they still have holes. First we will have to see where they are at next year with loss of multiple UFAs, and then which holes they are able to fill the following year once all the core is locked in long term.

Anyone who thinks the leafs should sign JT is being so unrealistic is plain foolish imo. Although Carlson makes sense in terms of a needs standpoint, he will be quite expensive and there is a risk in how long he will be able to maintain his current level of play over that deal.

Reactions: remote

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This coming year is easy, but besides for maybe 1 bigger deal with term(Tavares, Carlson?) everything basically has to be 1 year deals as the real crunch is 19/20 with Matthews, Marner, and Gardiner needing new deals.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
So 18.45 in cap space, does that account for Matthews and Marners bonuses for next season? I'd say they have to be pretty careful with this cap space. Guessing we will know the plan when they sign Matthews to his next contract.

They can just dump Brown/Hyman/not sign gardiner for 2019-20 if it gets that bad.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I see them spending all the money on a bunch of 1 year deals to try and win before they give Marner and Matthews their big contracts.

Thornton is a pretty reasonable target for a big 1 year deal. Most big UFA names are probably looking for more term though.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Yes the initial post indicates that the bonuses are covered.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
*litmus test*.

Toronto is a similar spot going into next year as the Oilers were coming into this year. Yes, they have a bunch of cap space in theory, but that space is absolutely gone after next year when Matthews and Marner need extensions. They’ll also need to make a decision on Gardiner.

Haha the second I posted that I realized I probably misspelled it. Not a great look for me lol, juggling a lot of things at work atm. Ty for the correction.

Also you totally get it.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Add another 5 million to that if the cap does go up to 80 Million.

We only have 16 players signed which is not a lot. Nylander is lickely getting 6.25-6.5 IMO and we need both a 3C and 4C.
we have 3 rfa's which brings that number up to 19 and the holes can be filled internally. our top-6 up front is fine as is our top-4 on the back end.

hyman-matthews-nylander
marleau-kadri-marner
johnsson/leivo-?-brown
johnson/martin/leivo-?-kapanen

reilly-hainsey
gardiner-zaitsev
dermott-carrick/?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It will be interesting to see what the leafs do this year, they could offer Tavares or Carlson big money on a 1 year deal. I think a lot is going to ride on how well they do in the playoffs this year.

It will give top UFA's a chance to see just how close Toronto could be to a cup.

Neither of those players are signing a 1 year deal. They will get big money on long term deals already, term wont change anything.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I'll disagree with the author's numbers. Yes the Leafs have include this year PB on their cap next year. But in order to get maximum cap room for 2019/20 the Leafs should be paying the approximate 3.5m in PB in 2019/20. And in order to do that Horton' salary has to be include on the opening day roster. After game one he's put on LTIR for cap reason and the Leafs can add. So after Nylander and some lower RFA signings, the Leafs have about 12m in UFA....and these would be one year signing.
So actually the cap in 2019/20 is manageable, since Horton can be on LTIR during the summer (the PBs aren't big in 2019/20) and you can have no PB carryover on the 2019/20.
Without that 12m in UFA signing in 2018/19 and ridding themselves of the Hainsey/Gardiner 7m contracts, the Leafs have money in 2019.20. It's finding the replacements for Hainsey and Gardiner is the issue, right now it's Borgman and Liljegren that are options/

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
Nylander will get 6.5 million per, and you need to keep that Cap space if you would like to sign Austin Matthews next yr..

This

Spending that cap space might be tempting when you have a Tavares available on the market, but the smart move would be to save it for 2019 when Matthews, Marner and Gardiner are all up for a new contract.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
we have 3 rfa's which brings that number up to 19 and the holes can be filled internally. our top-6 up front is fine as is our top-4 on the back end.

hyman-matthews-nylander
marleau-kadri-marner
johnsson/leivo-?-brown
johnson/martin/leivo-?-kapanen

reilly-hainsey
gardiner-zaitsev
dermott-carrick/?
It may not be the worst idea to let JVR walk but resign Bozak. Finding 2 decent centers is going to be tough. Plus I expect Lilj to get a long look with Dermott next year. I actually think our D may be set with the assets we own

Reactions: iSophagus

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
I assume the Leafs will be looking at 4-5m in bonus money too (Jets paid 4.6m this year)

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
With the leafs 3 core players all still in their ELCs we really don't have an accurate handle on the teams situation and needs long term in the current cap structure. They are able to greatly stack their roster with the close to 20m in cap added cap efficiency from the kids and they still have holes. First we will have to see where they are at next year with loss of multiple UFAs, and then which holes they are able to fill the following year once all the core is locked in long term.

Anyone who thinks the leafs should sign JT is being so unrealistic is plain foolish imo. Although Carlson makes sense in terms of a needs standpoint, he will be quite expensive and there is a risk in how long he will be able to maintain his current level of play over that deal.

Just take it year by year, and what everyone knows is that this year they will have a lot of cap space to play with.

Im pretty sure that if Tavares and Carlson make it to market that the leafs will discuss different scenarios on potential contracts that will include 1 year deals. Do i think that Tavares/Carlson would sign 1 year deals, no but honestly anything is possible, i've seen crazier things happen.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
so lets say around 16m for those 2

will be fun next year to sign Matthews and Marner
great plan m8
2019-20
Salary cap: 85M
Salary: 84.263M

Hyman(2.25) Matthews(10) Nylander(6.5)
Marleau(6.25) Kadri(4.5) Marner(6.5)
Johnsson(1.25) Tavares(10) Brown(2.1)
Grundstrom(.925) Aaltonen(1) Kapanen(1.5)
Leivo(1)

Rielly(5) Doughty(9)
Dermott(.863) Zaitsev(4.5)
Borgman(1.5) Carrick(1.5)
Liljegren(.925)

Andersen(5)
Sparks(1)

Kessel (1.2)

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Not including RFAs of course, specifically Nylander who will likely cost at least 4 million+, but could they make a move since the cap hell is coming in 2019-20?

Only players leafs can sign or trade fort are players with 1 year on their contracts because they have at least 17 million in pay raises coming the following year with just 2 players....Matthews and Marner.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
2019-20
Salary cap: 85M
Salary: 84.263M

Hyman(2.25) Matthews(10) Nylander(6.5)
Marleau(6.25) Kadri(4.5) Marner(6.5)
Johnsson(1.25) Tavares(10) Brown(2.1)
Grundstrom(.925) Aaltonen(1) Kapanen(1.5)
Leivo(1)

Rielly(5) Doughty(9)
Dermott(.863) Zaitsev(4.5)
Borgman(1.5) Carrick(1.5)
Liljegren(.925)

Andersen(5)
Sparks(1)

Kessel (1.2)

lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden