Sportsnet: Leafs have 18.45 million in cap room this offseason

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Not including RFAs of course, specifically Nylander who will likely cost at least 4 million+, but could they make a move since the cap hell is coming in 2019-20?

Reactions: Ori

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
I'm pretty sure that with the rise in the cap the leafs will have between 25 and 27 million in cap space this year. Some of that will go to Nylander.

Reactions: Kurtz

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
the rfa's will have to be dealt with first of course. then, big spending time:)

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Add another 5 million to that if the cap does go up to 80 Million.

We only have 16 players signed which is not a lot. Nylander is lickely getting 6.25-6.5 IMO and we need both a 3C and 4C.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure that with the rise in the cap the leafs will have between 25 and 27 million in cap space this year. Some of that will go to Nylander.

Cap friendly has them at $50 million, which includes Horton's $5.3 million. So, take that out and it's down to $45 million for 16 players. Plus any carryover of bonuses.

So, it's pretty sizeable.

Nylander is the big one to settle on, but after that though. But, they have to consider the jump the following season for Mathews and Marner. Any multiyear additions have to fit into the cap for 19-20 season.

Reactions: uncleben85

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Keep it, and prepare for the defenceman bidding war thats coming next year

I'm sure its already set in stone

It's go after Tavares, Thornton for a 1 year deal, Stastny if he takes a 2 year deal or just go for lower priced players.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think this is a litness test for how well you understand the NHL. While they do have a lot of cap this year, the following year it is going to get messy. So any long term contracts will likely come at the cost of another roster player when the time comes. A lot of that "free cap" is allocated in young core players future deals.

So unless Tor is going to go big on a 1 year deal which is more uncommon it really isn't that useful.

Maybe someone like Kovi might fit that though or an older player like Jumbo Joe

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
It's go after Tavares, Thornton for a 1 year deal, Stastny if he takes a 2 year deal or just go for lower priced players.
Tavares isnt taking a 1 year deal but Thornton probably will. Thornton is probably the most realistic and smartest big splash the Leafs could make this summer. Then next summer he leaves and they throw a fistful of money at one of the marquee dmen.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
I think this is a litness test for how well you understand the NHL. While they do have a lot of cap this year, the following year it is going to get messy. So any long term contracts will likely come at the cost of another roster player when the time comes. A lot of that "free cap" is allocated in young core players future deals.

So unless Tor is going to go big on a 1 year deal which is more uncommon it really isn't that useful.

It will be interesting to see what the leafs do this year, they could offer Tavares or Carlson big money on a 1 year deal. I think a lot is going to ride on how well they do in the playoffs this year.

It will give top UFA's a chance to see just how close Toronto could be to a cup.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
If there was ever a time for a crazy high salary on a 1 year deal, this is it. Because this room is only going to last one year before Matthews/Marner kick in.

Guys like Thornton or Kovalchuk might bite on a 1 year deal. Don't think it's realistic to expect a younger guy to take that route.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

*litmus test*.

Toronto is a similar spot going into next year as the Oilers were coming into this year. Yes, they have a bunch of cap space in theory, but that space is absolutely gone after next year when Matthews and Marner need extensions. They’ll also need to make a decision on Gardiner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad