Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Talk about depth. 8 forwards and 2 dmen with 40+pts

Matthews,Marner,Nylander,JVR,Kadri,Bozak,Marleau,Hyman,Rielly,Gardiner

I dont think any other team has more than 7, but I could be mistaken

Reactions: BayStreetBully

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Best team in the league with the widest roster and the sharpest top end. People have been underestimating the Leaf's and Matthews for too long, this will change when they dominate the Play-offs and advance to at least the SCFs.

Reactions: Hokinaittii

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Think the Bruins have 8... Backes and McAvoy, who missed a lot of time would have probably hit it with a full 82 game schedule. Tampa has 9, Palat who is under 60 games just barely missed it at 35 points.

I get the feeling that Rick Nash would have hit 40 as well if he hadn't been injured. Who knows though. The top 3 in the Atlantic are all deep.

The Leafs also have 6? 20+ goal scorers while the Bruins have 12 players who are double digit goal scorers. They are deep.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Good team. Would've been better in the coming years if they got something back for Bozak and JVR. They're about to make the same mistake with Gardiner, too.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Another "we have been particularly lucky with injuries, therefore we have good stats" thread...

And re bolded, yeah, you're indeed very mistaken.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Think the Bruins have 8... Backes and McAvoy, who missed a lot of time would have probably hit it with a full 82 game schedule. Tampa has 9, Palat who is under 60 games just barely missed it at 35 points.

Yup. Also Nashville has 8 and Jarnkrok has 35 points but missed 14 games and Ryan Ellis out for half a season with a knee injury but he still has 32 points in only 44 games. They would have easily hit 40.

As I already said, this is a thread glorifying good luck re no injuries.

Reactions: bluetib

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Wow, that’s great depth. Probably the best forward depth in the league. I am very impressed.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Good team. Would've been better in the coming years if they got something back for Bozak and JVR. They're about to make the same mistake with Gardiner, too.

This could be one of the best chances to win a cup with the stars on their ELC and fans wanted the Leafs to get a late first if they were lucky and a 2nd for Bozak, kill their depth, and to add another prospect to an already stacked system without enough room for everyone.

Another "we have been particularly lucky with injuries, therefore we have good stats" thread...

I don't see what is so hard about just being happy for another team. There have been many, many times the Bruins have been praised for something, many have even called them the best team in the NHL. Just because it's not a Bruins are the greatest thread doesn't mean other teams haven't accomplished some impressive feats.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Yup. Also Nashville has 8 and Jarnkrok has 35 points but missed 14 games and Ryan Ellis out for half a season with a knee injury but he still has 32 points in only 44 games. They would have easily hit 40.

As I already said, this is a thread glorifying good luck re no injuries.

Leafs had tons of injuries...lol

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
How the hell in Toronto's long history with so many Cups are 105 points and whatever wins their club record - thats very low compared what most of other teams best regular season numbers are and those 105 points are inflated with SO wins (I know other team profited from that too).

Reactions: bluetib

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Leafs had tons of injuries...lol

Of course they did, but they set tons of new personal bests anyway. He's just mad because the Leafs did really well, and have MUCH better top-9 depth than the Bruins, contrary to his claims for earlier in the season.

And he hates the fact that Leaf fans will make it known, too.

WOOT. :)

Reactions: Yamazaki

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
No players over 70 points is interesting(Marner at 69 though, kid surprised me the most this year). But the depth scoring seems really strong, I wonder how that holds up with the clampdown defensively in the post season.

Bruins have 2 players over 70
PHI has 3
TB has 2
Pitts has 3

The only other "top" team with no 70+ point scorers is NSH.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
No players over 70 points is interesting(Marner at 69 though, kid surprised me the most this year). But the depth scoring seems really strong, I wonder how that holds up with the clampdown defensively in the post season.

PHI has 3
TB has 2
Pitts has 3

That's okay. Matthews missed 20 games, but scored at better than a PPG. And Marner was close enough for me. Not bad for 20 year olds.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't think this is a good way to judge depth since it's way too dependent on health.

How the hell in Toronto's long history with so many Cups are 105 points and whatever wins their club record - thats very low compared what most of other teams best regular season numbers are and those 105 points are inflated with SO wins (I know other team profited from that too).
Because we've been a crap organization for 50 years.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

PHI has 3
TB has 2
Pitts has 3

I think their offensive depth bodes quite well for the playoffs. How do you stop all 4 lines?

I also think Rielly and Gardiner can also play a huge role in the playoffs. While not forwards, they contribute greatly to the offensive depth of the team. I believe they are, along with Nashville, the only team to have two 50 point scoring defencemen.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk

PHI has 3
TB has 2
Pitts has 3

You mean the president's trophy winning preds

I'll take scoring depth over 1 or 2 high scorers anyday

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
This could be one of the best chances to win a cup with the stars on their ELC and fans wanted the Leafs to get a late first if they were lucky and a 2nd for Bozak, kill their depth, and to add another prospect to an already stacked system without enough room for everyone.

I don't see what is so hard about just being happy for another team. There have been many, many times the Bruins have been praised for something, many have even called them the best team in the NHL. Just because it's not a Bruins are the greatest thread doesn't mean other teams haven't accomplished some impressive feats.

It's not just being happy for one's own team, though. It's being happy for one's own team AND stating that it's so much better than all others.
The latter part of the statement (in italic) is solely due to other teams missing players for many games. It is just NOT a clear cut "we have 10 players with 40 points and duh, the better the others did is 7".

Tampa has 9, Boston and Nashville 8 and these teams had players who were close to 40 but missed a lot of games for injury. Had they had similar level of health as the Leafs, they too would have had 10 players with 40 points.

So, it is not such a unique feat like OP was inferring. I don't understand why so many of you always like to use skewed numbers (=without presenting any context) to make a point. It's not like there's some very complicated calculations involved. One quick look at the stats page at nhl.com and the "uniqueness" of the performance evaporates in no time.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

wouldn't some injuries to top line players (who pass 40 points anyway) give more opportunity and to lower line players to score 40 as well?

for example, if Bergeron and Krejci don't get injured, Riley Nash spends more time on the 4th line and only scores 30 points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad