Post-Game Talk: Leafs fold quicker than a cheap lawn chair, lose 6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Guys like Sandin and Timmins can't be in our top 6 for the start of the playoffs...they are not ready like Liljegren.

Tampa’s forecheck is going to be deadly. It’s wave after wave of speed and aggression from every line. Outside of Brodie I don’t think there’s a defenseman on this roster that isn’t going to get blown up along the boards on the forecheck at least once in that series. We saw it last year, you can bet Tampa is gonna bring that same energy this year.

Reactions: OVO16

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
So apparently Keefe in his post game said that things happened pretty quickly with Murray's playing status and then Samsonov was asked when he knew he was playing and said the coach told him yesterday. Sort of reminding me of the Freddie Andersen's last year, something is up BTS.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Because I expect Tampa to exclusively target Sandin in that case, dump it in his corner every time and break him down. Brodie is great, but can he carry someone while taking top matchups against Kucherov/Point? Trying to shelter Sandin may be better

Timmins won't play in the playoffs, I think we run either of the following:

Rielly, Brodie, Lilly, Giordano, Holl, Sandin

or

Rielly, Brodie, Lilly, Giordano, Holl, TDL acquisition
I think you're overstating how much trouble Sandin has with a heavy forecheck. He can think fast and has surprisingly good agility despite not being the quickest. As long as he gets proper support from his partner and forwards, he should be fine in that category.
a bit of an old article, but the skills are clearly still in his game

He definitely does have weaknesses that a good team can exploit, but it's not like you can take him out of another playoff series. He needs to show if he can handle the playoffs or if you have to cut him loose

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Wow if Mathews gets injured n the playoffs lookout! Hope other teams don’t figure it out. If we were confident matchups wouldn’t matter.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I think you're overstating how much trouble Sandin has with a heavy forecheck. He can think fast and has surprisingly good agility despite not being the quickest. As long as he gets proper support from his partner and forwards, he should be fine in that category.
a bit of an old article, but the skills are clearly still in his game

He definitely does have weaknesses that a good team can exploit, but it's not like you can take him out of another playoff series. He needs to show if he can handle the playoffs or if you have to cut him loose
And we saw how Montreal broke him down in the 2021 playoffs. Maybe he has improved from that, but I don't think putting him on a pair with Brodie is a reasonable solution, especially since we will be relying on Brodie to play against 2 of the best playoff players in the NHL

You give Sandin 3rd pair minutes in the playoffs and see how he plays in them. Provide him offensive zone starts, and utilize his offensive tools as much as possible

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Because I expect Tampa to exclusively target Sandin in that case, dump it in his corner every time and break him down. Brodie is great, but can he carry someone while taking top matchups against Kucherov/Point? Trying to shelter Sandin may be better

Timmins won't play in the playoffs, I think we run either of the following:

Rielly, Brodie, Lilly, Giordano, Holl, Sandin

or

Rielly, Brodie, Lilly, Giordano, Holl, TDL acquisition
That's all the more reason to try and get Sandin more games and experience and have a vet like Brodie to help him out so that come playoff time he's more prepared. If you don't believe he might be up to the task of playoff hockey, then why not try your best to prepare him during the regular season? Same goes for Timmins. Its not like the Leafs are fighting for a playoff spot and can't afford to give their younger less experienced players more icetime and the leeway to make mistakes while hopefully improving at the same time.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
That's all the more reason to try and get Sandin more games and experience and have a vet like Brodie to help him out so that come playoff time he's more prepared. If you don't believe he might be up to the task of playoff hockey, then why not try your best to prepare him during the regular season? Same goes for Timmins. Its not like the Leafs are fighting for a playoff spot and can't afford to give their younger less experienced players more icetime and the leeway to make mistakes while hopefully improving at the same time.
Oh I'm not against it in the regular season, throw him on the top pair and see how he goes. We have lots of time to experiment and maybe he proves me wrong

it went well. third date. still no score but she seems cool :)

lol glad I didn't bail to smoke up and watch this game.
Happy to hear it! Definitely sounds better than the atrocity that was this game lol

Reactions: saffronleaf

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Was a weird game with the Matthews injury and Murray getting bounced in warm ups so not as bad as the scoreline suggests

Disappointing that we forgot how to play team defense

Holl showing why he is way worse then his advanced stats as well. Giveaways are the most undercounted stat in the league and it's his expertise. If I'm Tampa in a playoff series I repeatedly dump it into his corner

Reactions: Eye Test and horner

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
1674901349691.png

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Witness the Leafs without Matthews. Any competent GM should trade him before the end of this season. Why? Because this team as Dumbas has constructed it is going nowhere. You cannot, I repeat you cannot let Matthews go into his walkaway for free year next year, nor can you afford to give him any sort of raise that will compromise this "team" even further.

What a waste of talent. Bad overpays by Dubas have WASTED the best talent pool the Leafs have ever had.
WELL SAID....

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Oh boy and here we go

Yeah, battling a lack of confidence....

Rielly's skating, confidence level, decision making, situational awareness, basic shooting and puckhandling and maybe even conditioning have been pretty bad since coming back. Kind of wonder why he's back at all when he's not even 85%.
Mentally he's in Turks & Cacos prepping for the Wedding in May...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad