GDT: Leafs @ Flyers - 3/19/24 7 EDT on TSN - Bay Street vs Broad Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't know to what degree Brodie would be better if he got some rest, but we will need defensive depth in the playoffs. If in fact he's nursing somethings.. .which most players are at this time, perhaps sitting him for a bit is best, with the hopes that his game is better for the playoffs, in case we need him. Plus, sitting him might who how we play without him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Treliving said yesterday we were the top team in the league 5 v 5 last 20 odd games.

I'm not worried about the PP, but our PK is our Achilles, better figure that out. Marner and Jarnkrok back will help, I'm looking to see what Dewar and Edmundson can bring. Bill and Brodie are awful on the PK.

The PK needs to be better but generally I think it's been ok.

I think the PP being this hot and cold is a much bigger issue. Right now it's not even cold, it's miserable. There's no reason for the PP to be that bad with the talent. Last few weeks they have far to many issues getting set up and creating at least chances... Half the PP is just chasing the puck and making turnovers.

Last edited:
Reactions: authentic

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't know to what degree Brodie would be better if he got some rest, but we will need defensive depth in the playoffs. If in fact he's nursing somethings.. .which most players are at this time, perhaps sitting him for a bit is best, with the hopes that his game is better for the playoffs, in case we need him. Plus, sitting him might who how we play without him.

He's been a lot better lately. I suspect we will see load management in the last week or so. Not sure if Brodie will get that.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Couple of back to back games this week, would like to see different personal on the d-core to see what works best.

There's no reason to run the same d-core for all 4 games.
Except Boosh is out with the flu, Gio with a concussion.... until we are healthy, our options are Timmins and a Marlie. But if Boosh is back, I fully agree with you.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
The PK needs to be better and generally I think it's been ok, but I think the PP being this hot and cold is a much bigger issue. There's no reason for the PP to be that bad with the talent. Last few weeks they have Farr to many issues getting set up and creating at least chances... Half the PP is just chasing the puck.
Problem with the powerplay is they are too stationary and have one threat, and that is try to work it around for 34 to have a clear shot, it gets easier to defend. While the really solid teams have 2-3 options, Boston for example has perfected.. pass to the bumper slot after working it down low for a one timer, or second, they are able to work it around the goal line and cross crease pass to Pasta.

Toronto special teams will make or break this team in the playoffs as it always does..

https://x.com/lukefoxjukebox/status/1769809917307670676?s=46&t=kdLFqX_qElsBvROXeNdJYw

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The PK needs to be better but generally I think it's been ok.

I think the PP being this hot and cold is a much bigger issue. Right now it's not even cold, it's miserable. There's no reason for the PP to be that bad with the talent. Last few weeks they have far to many issues getting set up and creating at least chances... Half the PP is just chasing the puck and making turnovers.
Okay but we have the 5th best PP and 25th PK, so overall I'm more worried about that. I take your point though, it's hard to fathom how bad we can look on the PP with that talent.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Problem with the powerplay is they are too stationary and have one threat, and that is try to work it around for 34 to have a clear shot, it gets easier to defend. While the really solid teams have 2-3 options, Boston for example has perfected.. pass to the bumper slot after working it down low for a one timer, or second, they are able to work it around the goal line and cross crease pass to Pasta.

Toronto special teams will make or break this team in the playoffs as it always does..

https://x.com/lukefoxjukebox/status/1769809917307670676?s=46&t=kdLFqX_qElsBvROXeNdJYw

Clearly we have more than one threat... Matty has 15 goals, Nylander 9, Marner 7, Tavares 7, Bertuzzi 5. Yes, Matty is the biggest threat... but they need to take advantage of that, as it should leave others more open, and design plays around that.

The biggest problem right now is Marner is out, and he's the main QB for the PP.

I agree we have to get it back on track, and clicking at the rate we were earlier this year, especially in the playoffs.

Reactions: authentic

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Okay but we have the 5th best PP and 25th PK, so overall I'm more worried about that. I take your point though, it's hard to fathom how bad we can look on the PP with that talent.

Fully agreed. It needs to be better. They need to be in the 85%+ and they have been hovering the 75% mark far too much. Average goaltending doesn't help much there.

I think with the PP we've been relatively very healthy and for it not to be dominant game in and out is a concern. We're what.. 1 and 18 or something last few weeks?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Which version of Sammy chooses to show up tonight? The good version or the sack of crap that found a way to blow a 4-2 lead with under 2 minutes to go?

Tune in to find out.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

The Leafs absolutely have to sort out their PP. If the PP continues to shit the bed in the playoffs, the opposition knows it can do whatever they want 5v5 because they won't get punished. If we have a lethal PP, it affects everything the opposition does at 5v5.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I hope they interview Tortorella before the game and ask him about that power play controversy last game "running up the score" so to speak. Wonder what his take is.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I hope they interview Tortorella before the game and ask him about that power play controversy last game "running up the score" so to speak. Wonder what his take is.
I'm sure that's all long forgotten. Tonights game will be their focus.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I'm sure that's all long forgotten. Tonights game will be their focus.
Right the playoff race negates all of that. I just want to know what he thought of his coach yelling at Keefe and all the talk in media.

Also apparently Flyers captain Sean Couturier is being healthy scratched a month after being named captain.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Right the playoff race negates all of that. I just want to know what he thought of his coach yelling at Keefe and all the talk in media.

Also apparently Flyers captain Sean Coutourier is being healthy scratched a month after being named captain.
Everything is a big story here. I'd be surprised if it was even mentioned in Philly.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I wish Keefe would show the same accountability that Torts does for his star players.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Couturier out. Deslauriers in.

Looks like the FLyers may goon it up tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad