Proposal: Leafs - Flames (JVR)

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
JVR + Sparks (G)

For

Bennett

Flames need top end scoring and goaltending depth for their playoff push. Leafs need depth down the middle.

Given that JVR is a rental, a move like this would have to suggest that Calgary are gunning for a playoff seed even though there's a lot of competition (LAK, STL, Minn, Anaheim) and a logjam for that last wildcard slot. Is that a "gutsy" or "questionable" strategy? I'd lean towards questionable.

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
So lets see if i have this straight, we are heading into the playoffs, so we trade a guy who right now has 25 goals and 38 points for a guy who has 8 goals and 21 points...and a career high in points that's less than what JVR has right now?? And then we add?

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
JVR + Sparks (G)

For

Bennett

Flames need top end scoring and goaltending depth for their playoff push. Leafs need depth down the middle.

LMAO. The Leafs do NOT need "depth down the middle" at all. We're actually really strong down the middle, with Matthews, Kadri, Bozak and Moore. And at any time, Nylander or Marner can slot in at Centre too, if needed. At most, the Leafs could use an upgrade on Moore at 4C, for a playoff run. But if we don't get it.....no biggie.

Silly proposal.

Reactions: TrentonF

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
No thanks from the Flames.

A LHS LW that is most likely a rental and if not is only staying for a big time overpay does not make sense for the Flames.

As for the Leafs all saying no the reason I think TO would consider it is that they are unlikely to win a round and almost certainly not winning two and the organization seems committed to their plan which wasn't to win this year so if they see JVR as a goner perhaps they figure they can lose in the first round without him just as easily as with them.

That said because teams are worried about optics even though it makes sense I doubt TO moves any of their FA's.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Bad for Flames in value. No need at all to do it from Toronto POV.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
No thanks from the Flames.

A LHS LW that is most likely a rental and if not is only staying for a big time overpay does not make sense for the Flames.

As for the Leafs all saying no the reason I think TO would consider it is that they are unlikely to win a round and almost certainly not winning two and the organization seems committed to their plan which wasn't to win this year so if they see JVR as a goner perhaps they figure they can lose in the first round without him just as easily as with them.

That said because teams are worried about optics even though it makes sense I doubt TO moves any of their FA's.

What in the world gave you the impression that this is the organization's plan?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
lol wtf are u nostradamus? unlikely to win a round? crawl back to your basement pls..

I don't think I have to be nostradamus to predict that a team will lose to the higher ranked team in the play-offs.

Not sure why it is a big deal to say that the Leafs are unlikely to beat Boston or TB.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Listening to what they have said, watching the moves/lack of moves they have made this year, watching how they are handling Marner and Nylander seeming to still be in the teaching mode and putting their development over immediate success.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

What else did you expect? The Leafs have a top ~5 offense, ~5 PK, ~15 PP, ~10 defense, ~5 goaltending.

The management is smart. They aren't trying to win, this is all just an elaborate ruse to give the illusion of winning. Leafs plan on losing every game from here and tank for Dahlin.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
What else did you expect? The Leafs have a top ~5 offense, ~5 PK, ~15 PP, ~10 defense, ~5 goaltending.

The management is smart. They aren't trying to win, this is all just an elaborate ruse to give the illusion of winning. Leafs plan on losing every game from here and tank for Dahlin.

Why do Leafs fans always have to be so dramatic.

The plan is not to go all in and win this year. That doesn't mean they are tanking.

Is it really that hard for you guys to see the middle ground. Shannahan/Lou/Babcock have a long term plan for the team and that plan wasn't that they were expecting to be competing for the Cup this year. Now that they have a good team it doesn't mean they are going to quit the season just that they are going to make decisions based on that long term plan not make short term moves because of some hot play.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calgary passes, Toronto passes,everyone passes.

Passes all around.

You get a pass, you get a pass, you get a pass!
Both teams politely decline. Doesn't make much sense for either team. TO's gearing up for a playoff run, Calgary shouldn't give up on a kid like Bennett.

Bennett is nearing Yakupov territory so no....

IF you watch him, independent of if he's scoring, Bennett normally has a positive game impact (of course minus a game here or there where he takes a bad penalty). If the guy doesn't ever turn it around offensively, he'll be a bottom 6 player in the NHL for the next 10-15 years. He skates and thinks the game well; something just hasn't clicked offensively for him. That and Calgary does him no favors; normally centering a 3rd line with barely NHL'ers, playing LW with struggling players and no PP time anymore. He does play the PK; and is great in that role.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Listening to what they have said, watching the moves/lack of moves they have made this year, watching how they are handling Marner and Nylander seeming to still be in the teaching mode and putting their development over immediate success.

Most recently our coach is on the record as having said he wants to win now and force management to make adds due to our good play. If we're to trade JVR it would almost certainly have to be move that does not significantly hurt us now, like say in a package for a D upgrade, but such a move also seems unlikely. Bennet is objectively just making us worse.

As for "Unlikely to win a play off round" that is of course subjective as hell.

This season we are 1-1 with Tampa and 2-1 over Boston. Assuming Tampa wins both their games in hand on us that puts them 8 points ahead of us and this is after an incredibly hot start. That is not a world of difference. In view of our lack of knowledge about who will improve what, who will get injured and who will be hot it's pretty hard to say right now they have a significant advantage beyond playoff experience. Our goalie is playing at a pretty high level right now also.

I know it is difficult for people to come to terms with but the Leafs are now a top team, #6 if I recall correctly. Considering 8th seeds take out #1's all the time it is ridiculous to think we have no chance.

Of course we are not favorites but the favorite only wins something like 20% of the time. No sane GM is going to give up on winning it all before we try, nothing worth having ever comes easy and even if we got knocked out of the 2nd round it would be quite a growth experience for our team.

People need to stop acting like we are a wild card team that is just lucky to be in the playoffs, we are a good team that could very well make some noise come playoff time. We are a better team than the one that gave President's trophy Washington some headaches, so why should we suddenly be afraid of Boston and Tampa?

No logic at all.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

I think part of the growing plan is for the Leafs to win at least one round in the playoffs this year. They got their taste against Washington last year and I doubt the Shanny/Lou are content on getting a first round exit this time around. They are building a winning environment, and getting deeper in the playoffs would give them more experience to draw upon. Even though the Leafs want to get as far as possible in the playoffs this year I don't see them selling a bunch of futures off in an attempt to do so, which may be where your argument is coming from.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Way too early for all the Bennett bust talk. I'm guessing a lot of people thought the same about couturier at this point in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad