McKenzie: Leafs don't want to, but may be forced to trade 2021 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
and now they have a 1st. I believe Dubas is after two RDs. He'll go hard after Pietrangelo for the top RD and use the 1st to acquire the #2 RD.

Rielly Pietrangelo
Muzzin (#2 RD)
Sandin Holl
With what cap space? He doesnt seem willing to move Nylander, the most likely one traded. The cap being flattened hurt just about every team and badly hurt the Leafs. Best bet is he signs someone like Gudas and a borderline top 4 and ships out Johnsson.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If the Leafs needed astar on defense I might agree but I don't think they do.

I think 2 of Savard Manson Larsson Hjalmarsson Risto Hamonic Brodie Pietrangelo Gudas Tanev, Letang etc. Would be good enough

Pietrangelo is a top 10 maybe top 5 RHD in the NHL currently. I am not saying you’re necessarily wrong about adding two of the names mentioned makes the leafs an infinitely better but it would have too be one of the really strong players and then a meh player or two of the decent names on that list such as Mason and Savard.

If you were add those two names we would not be able afford the cap hit without moving a Nylander or Marner (which I would do).

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I think it's unlikely that 2020 1st rounder moves.

Draft is before free agency, Leafs will have a better stance on where they will be after free agency starts.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Pietrangelo is a top 10 maybe top 5 RHD in the NHL currently. I am not saying you’re necessarily wrong about adding two of the names mentioned makes the leafs an infinitely better but it would have too be one of the really strong players and then a meh player or two of the decent names on that list such as Mason and Savard.

If you were add those two names we would not be able afford the cap hit without moving a Nylander or Marner (which I would do).

I'm aware Pietrangelo is a star but I also named 8? 9? other players? No you don't need to move Marner or Nylander to add 2 mid level D

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I'm aware Pietrangelo is a star but I also named 8? 9? other players? No you don't need to move Marner or Nylander to add 2 mid level D

Again you may be right but we again have to burn through draft capital to acquire said players. Pietrangelo costs us nothing but the cap hit he will command Dictate moving a large contract.

Not sure where you are getting your calculations from but if we add Manson and Savard that’s just over 8 million. We need to still resign Mikheyev, Dermott if we don’t trade him and A 4th line RW/LW. It’s not as simple as you suggest. Obviously it doesn’t meanany of the big 4 are gonna but AJ or Kerfoot are likely gone.

Personally if we can trade Nylander for Pesce, great RHD who is in mid twenties and plays solid D I take that deal all day. The roughly 2.9 million in additional cap space can be used on a reclamation project like Anderson or a player like Virtanen who has fallen out of favor/cap casualty.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Again you may be right but we again have to burn through draft capital to acquire said players. Pietrangelo costs us nothing but the cap hit he will command Dictate moving a large contract.

Not sure where you are getting your calculations from but if we add Manson and Savard that’s just over 8 million. We need to still resign Mikheyev, Dermott if we don’t trade him and A 4th line RW/LW. It’s not as simple as you suggest. Obviously it doesn’t meanany of the big 4 are gonna but AJ or Kerfoot are likely gone.

Personally if we can trade Nylander for Pesce, great RHD who is in mid twenties and plays solid D I take that deal all day. The roughly 2.9 million in additional cap space can be used on a reclamation project like Anderson or a player like Virtanen who has fallen out of favor/cap casualty.

Depth pieces, no matter how good they are can always be replaced, that's what makes them depth pieces they are ALWAYS replaceable.

Core pieces are much harder to replace.

What I'm saying is if bringing in Manson and Savard costs you Kerfoot and Johnsson it is what it is.

A team with a top 6 as good as Toronto's

With a top 4 of

Savard Rielly

Manson and Muzzin

With Freddy and Campbell in net.

That can win a title and that's the goal and if it costs you Kerfoot and Johnsson that's fine .

And yes, if you can get to the finals with Khudobin you can win with Freddy

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Dubas knows he needs to fix his defense, but doesn't have the guts to actually make a trade that he should make, to fix it.

He needs a Drouin for Sergachev type move, but just seems to love hoarding his forwards.

The fact that this type of garbage post gets so many likes says a lot about this site.

Doesn't have the guts? He's been around 2 seasons and he brought in Muzzin already, made an attempt with Barrie who was definitely a top 4, and is in the mix for Pietrangelo.

What exactly are you expecting? Can you name all the top 4 defencemen up for trade?

Everyone is full of cirticism but I never see an actual plan. The guys Toronto need (young, top 2, RD, with term) simply aren't on the market. There is no Sergachev on the market right now.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
they should accept reality and trade tavares primarily for picks and use that cap space in the ufa market this year.

Yeah but then who's your #2 Centre? or even #3 Centre? You think Nylander can be your #2 consistently? That's a steep step down from Tavares to William.

With a top 4 of

Savard Rielly
Manson and Muzzin

That can win a title.

So who's on your bottom 6? Who's on your bottom pair? Just a heads up, sure the Pens' top end players were better than the Habs' but every time they put on their "depth pieces" MTL lit them up. That's how that play-in went down, we beat them on depth. Heck we even had Domi on our 4th line so PIT never got to breathe.

Also you're underestimating what Khudobin did for Dallas. He was phenomenal.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah but then who's your #2 Centre? or even #3 Centre? You think Nylander can be your #2 consistently? That's a steep step down from Tavares to William.

So who's on your bottom 6? Who's on your bottom pair? Just a heads up, sure the Pens' top end players were better than the Habs' but every time they put on their "depth pieces" MTL lit them up. That's how that play-in went down, we beat them on depth. Heck we even had Domi on our 4th line so PIT never got to breathe.

Also you're underestimating what Khudobin did for Dallas. He was phenomenal.

I know he was but realistically is he a better goalie than Freddy? I don't think so, if you gave most people a choice between Freddy and Khudobin next year, I think most would take Freddy even after Khudobin run because we know Freddy can play 60 games, can Khudobin? We don't know the answer to that.

As for the bottom 6 there are quality depth plyers signing cheap deals every year case in point Jason Spezza.

Given the current reality of the situation more players that ever will be signing cheap deals, the Leafs will have options

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
and now they have a 1st. I believe Dubas is after two RDs. He'll go hard after Pietrangelo for the top RD and use the 1st to acquire the #2 RD.

Rielly Pietrangelo
Muzzin (#2 RD)
Sandin Holl

Doesn't make sense with the cap or upcoming expansion draft. If the leafs get Pietrangelo they need to shed forward salary and fill out the rest of the D cheap.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
well the obvious point (that's probably already been made) is that the Leafs need good young prospects to have cheap ELCs and RFA bridges, because they are so top heavy in cap.

They must be able to find good depth UFAs

Ledge And Dairy

Ryan Ellis?
Ellis will cost a crap ton. He had a fantastic year and I have no idea why he got zero Norris votes yet somehow Tony-sucks at D-Angelo got 11th in voting. You can't even make the argument that "Josi won it so Ellis shouldn't be in the running" since both Slavin(5th) and Hamilton(7th) were in the top 10 for votes.

I imagine the ask for Ellis would be around Marner. Leafs fans won't like that though but Ellis is extremely good and signed on a long term team friendly deal. Nashville would also likely require Liljegren going back to compensate for the now massive hole on RD after trading both Ellis and Subban on consecutive offseasons. Now before I get bashed for saying blasphemy, no I do not think Ellis is worth Marner and Liljegren, I think his value is a little less than Marner's so the add would probably include Tomasino/Tolvanen for sure + something else like Bonino (50%).

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Depth pieces, no matter how good they are can always be replaced, that's what makes them depth pieces they are ALWAYS replaceable.

Core pieces are much harder to replace.

What I'm saying is if bringing in Manson and Savard costs you Kerfoot and Johnsson it is what it is.

With a top 4 of

Savard Rielly

Manson and Muzzin

That can win a title and that's the goal and if it costs you Kerfoot and Johnsson that's fine .

Well you're not getting Manson and Savard with those two pieces so you better find a different angle.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
So Bobby Mack was on the radio on Leafs Lunch today and he said that they are looking very hard for a D man with term and that while they don't want to trade their 2021 1st especially. Since they didn't have one last year they may not have a choice because the Marlies have been depleted since most of them are now NHL players.

Look it's not ideal but I'm OK with it because deapite what some will tell you the Leafs are in full on go for it mode and should be, their top 9 is locked up, the backup goaltending, which was a MAJOR problem is fixed for this season and next.

The 2021 pick won't be as high as this pick could be because you won't have Michael Hutchinson pissing away points like he did this season.

So if you can use the 2021 1st to get a RHD with term why not?

It's the last major hole they have.

So we are doing this again. Nobody is trading thier top4 rhd in thier 20's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad