McKenzie: Leafs don't want to, but may be forced to trade 2021 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Dubas is going to wait on draft night and see if Braden Schneider is available at 15 before making any moves, and then trade down for more picks.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I think Dubas is hoping to parlay 15OA for help on the blue line first. If that doesn't materialize he hopes Schneider is available. If not, Dubas may try and trade down and parlay that pick into blue line help.

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
I mean.. if they want a defensively reliable Top 4 D man, it's gonna cost more than a 2021 1st round projected to be in 20-30 range. At that range, finding a top 4 NHL d-man can already be considered a good pick. Not to mention, people are saying the 2021 crop isn't that good.

Leafs have to pay the price for a good D-man. That price can be anything from this year's 1st to one of their talented forwards... Of course, if it's the forwards, then it would likely be a top 2 D-man unless the opposite side gives more. A lot of people here are far too optimistic or greedy about possibilities

Your best outcome would be to find your own Josi/Hedman/Heiskanen caliber player even if it means giving away a great forward.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Just don’t really see a lot of young top 4 defenceman with term going to be floating around a lot during the flat cap. Could be expensive if some do shake loose.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Dubas knows he needs to fix his defense, but doesn't have the guts to actually make a trade that he should make, to fix it.

He needs a Drouin for Sergachev type move, but just seems to love hoarding his forwards.

Well said. A year or so back I had already suggested the Pesce for Nylander deal when Nylander was holding out. Look I like all our forwards That are part of the core but fundamentally we are a flawed team and need to trade some of that upfront talent to put together a D Corp that is somewhat competent.

We have had one of the worst D Corp for a team that finished with close to 100 or above points the two previous seasons. Our reliance on Andersen has been our Achilles heel in each of the past three seasons. By addressing our D concerns we could alleviate some of the pressure on our goaltending situation.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well said. A year or so back I had already suggested the Pesce for Nylander deal when Nylander was holding out. Look I like all our forwards That are part of the core but fundamentally we are a flawed team and need to trade some of that upfront talent to put together a D Corp that is somewhat competent.

We have had one of the worst D Corp for a team that finished with close to 100 or above points the two previous seasons. Our reliance on Andersen has been our Achilles heel in each of the past three seasons. By addressing our D concerns we could alleviate some of the pressure on our goaltending situation.

If the Leafs needed astar on defense I might agree but I don't think they do.

I think 2 of Savard Manson Larsson Hjalmarsson Risto Hamonic Brodie Pietrangelo Gudas Tanev, Letang etc. Would be good enough

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Dubas is going to wait on draft night and see if Braden Schneider is available at 15 before making any moves, and then trade down for more picks.
I see him moving down, but it not being dependent on Schneider.

I'll say this, us Leaf fans always overhype our draft picks (as all fans of all teams do). But there are so many Leaf fans enamored with Schneider cause he fills a specific need, that these people will be anointing a future #1 RHD.

It's great to be able to fill a need when it is BPA or you are working in a draft where the need is the strength of the draft. But when the need is the major weakness of the draft, oh you are asking for trouble.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
So Bobby Mack was on the radio on Leafs Lunch today and he said that they are looking very hard for a D man with term and that while they don't want to trade their 2021 1st especially. Since they didn't have one last year they may not have a choice because the Marlies have been depleted since most of them are now NHL players.

Look it's not ideal but I'm OK with it because deapite what some will tell you the Leafs are in full on go for it mode and should be, their top 9 is locked up, the backup goaltending, which was a MAJOR problem is fixed for this season and next.

The 2021 pick won't be as high as this pick could be because you won't have Michael Hutchinson pissing away points like he did this season.

So if you can use the 2021 1st to get a RHD with term why not?

It's the last major hole they have.

You will not get an ED exempt Dman with 2021 1st

You might be able t get a RD from a team who has 4+ Dmen expansion eligible and they only plan on protecting 3 but has RD farm help. Likely this player has 2-3 yrs left in terms of contract

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
leafs have hit a wall where they are now making suicidal moves that an aging cup winner would make to keep a proven core together. they should accept reality and trade tavares primarily for picks and use that cap space in the ufa market this year.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
and now they have a 1st. I believe Dubas is after two RDs. He'll go hard after Pietrangelo for the top RD and use the 1st to acquire the #2 RD.

Rielly Pietrangelo
Muzzin (#2 RD)
Sandin Holl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad