Post-Game Talk: Leafs don't show up in Annapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I turned it off after 3-1. I knew it wasn't going to be enjoyable win or lose. It was already ugly enough at that point.
Yeah. It was just ugly hockey. Nobody could find or handle the puck, you couldn't really see anything, the players couldn't see anything, the goaltenders looked like they were just guessing most of the time. I was just thinking to myself the whole time that how on earth could this be good for the league? Anyone watching for the first time must have thought that there's really not much skill to this sport.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Yeah. It was just ugly hockey. Nobody could find or handle the puck, you couldn't really see anything, the players couldn't see anything, the goaltenders looked like they were just guessing most of the time. I was just thinking to myself the whole time that how on earth could this be good for the league? Anyone watching for the first time must have thought that there's really not much skill to this sport.

Someone mentioned in the GDT that the NBC feed cut out the game early for the local/national news?, which is pretty pathetic for the NHL. I don't think we're going to be seeing a huge rise in the salary cap anytime soon (similar to the NBA) if the major networks see the product that way.

I thought the goalies were having a hard time tracking the puck too, until I saw Holtby later into the game get more comfortable, particularly with his glove-hand just snatching pucks with ease from guys primed in the slot (Rielly, Marleau's two chances come to mind)...which made me rethink if the stadium lighting and shadowing were all that bad....or if Andy was just awful tonight.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

If I was a player I would loathe playing outdoor games. Especially since they have to pretend that they love it and it's great for the fans and all that nonsense.

It's one thing if it's a special occasion like our games against Detroit but this was a random, pointless affair. They had to sacrifice playing an actual game of hockey for no good reason.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I thought the goalies were having a hard time tracking the puck too, until I saw Holtby later into the game get more comfortable, particularly with his glove-hand just snatching pucks with ease from guys primed in the slot (Rielly, Marleau's two chances come to mind)...which made me rethink if the stadium lighting and shadowing were all that bad....or if Andy was just awful tonight.
Didn't they tinker a lot with the lights at one point? Might be that it got fixed there.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Not sure what everyones complaining about?.....Fans asked for a Euro style/soft/perimeter team that has the ability to skate fast while trying to hide from physical teams...Coached by a guy who's Ego is uglier than his mug... who will soon be the GM also.
As for the Dubas talk..he couldn't even be an agent without his players firing him?..He will be a perfect "what ever you want Babs guy"...MORE PAIN

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think Zaitsev deserves until around next year Trade deadline to judge where he is at. That is almost 3 seasons of play with time to work out his mental breakdowns and become fully accustomed to north american game. We gave Andersen time after his disastrous start in 16/17. He ended up being amazing. It's nearly impossible for Zaitsev to be overpaid if he gets back to his earlier season form. He makes 4.5 million which is very good if he can become a 3/4. Right now he's playing like a bottom pairing defender. He deserves some leniency, with the injury, and kid. I mean rielly this season and last is night and day. Rielly pre-injury to know is also a big gap. Injuries can be nagging and slow down a players game. I suspect Zaitsev returns to being a 22-minute defender who is good at transitioning the puck and being physical, along with giving 25-30 points. I think he rebounds next season. I would be more worried about Marleau. He really looks horrible a lot of time on the ice. Looks so passive and disengaged at times. I think signing him was a mistake.

the argument some people want to give is that Z is not a "typical sophomore" because he has KHL experience etc and that he's 27. But i just feel with everything that he has had to go through, he deserves a little bit more time. if not - he can go to seattle or i bet they'll find a way to dissolve the contract and he goes back to Russia, it's not that big of a deal.

Reactions: hullsy47

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Dubas might be the new GM next year, while Lou might take on an advisory role...let Hunter do his thing at scouting and drafting.
sounds like ;ou can hang around like scotty bowman does if he wants ..but I thinlk the parameters of any major trades are in place now ..I'm sure the capologist and dubas and his analytics are gearing up for july 1st ..I can see anyone not mamed andderson or Mathews being moved if the right stud D man can be had ,
I'm happy with year 2 of this rebuild ,but year 3 has to show improved play on the backend ,our goalie or Mathews cant bail us out every game in the playoffs

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Plekanecs stepped into a back to back situation as his first two games. He has one practice under his belt with the team so far. And then his third game is an outdoor one.

If you're judging the trade off his first three games here, you're a moron.

thank you.
however people are mad we gave up a 2nd anyway so Plek could look like the second coming of Lindros, and people would still complain about it because we lost a 2nd.

Reactions: Macallan18

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Reading through the thread and we have our first “Lou should fire Babcock and coach the playoffs himself” suggestion.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Perfect team Uni's BTW.....dressed like Marshmallows

a second look and now i am torn between Marshmallows and/or Tampons?..you be the judge

Last edited:
Reactions: Leafmon1

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The only thing worse than the game last night is reading the nonsensical, sky is falling, commentary on here. Wow.

Reactions: OddyOh

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Reading through the thread and we have our first “Lou should fire Babcock and coach the playoffs himself” suggestion.

well didn't NJD win the cup when they did that the one time? i am all for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad