Post-Game Talk: Leafs don't show up in Annapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
No matter what happens the rest of the season it doesn't look like we can overtake the Bs and Bolts. As such I am only judging this team by what it does in the playoffs when they play for keeps. That is when we will see what this team is made of and decide who stays and who goes.
I agree.

The rest of the season is playoffs training camp.

The Leafs should just do whatever they need to do to prepare for the playoffs -- whether that's working on certain aspects of play, trying new things with personnel -- or not! I don't know what they need to do. I just know the moment is here.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Agreed. The white uniforms were hideous, the camera angle was awful, the lighting sucked, and the Leafs didn't show up.

Brutal.
Their unis looked like my grandsons pajamas. Good for bed-time stories (about when Davey Keon won the Cup) but not such a good look on the ice.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
The one encouraging thing is this team hasn't played close to their best yet this year, and they are still a playoff team easily. Most other teams have hit their peaks, hopefully we hit ours going into the playoffs.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Outdoor games shouldn't count. The ice is usually terrible, sometimes it rains and it is generally pretty boring imo

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
Someone made a good comment a while back that no top 5-10 teams ever trade away talent at the deadline.

Even though I would have liked to see a few guys out the door for futures, I understand why moves were not made.

I am certain this management group has a plan b,c and d. They have gotten this team this far in such a short time. Have faith and let's see how this unfolds.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I agree.

The Leafs should just do whatever they need to do to prepare for the playoffs -- whether that's working on certain aspects of play, trying new things with personnel -- or not! I don't know what they need to do. I just know the moment is here.

They also have to win and remember how to win.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Only upside I can find from that garbage witnessed last night is they should put on a really good performance in Buffalo for those of us in attendance.

Reactions: Elephanto

alliuk12

Feb 1, 2011
This is all on management they did nothing to improve on the team it’s the same every year they know the weakness of the team and they do nothing

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Only upside I can find from that garbage witnessed last night is they should put on a really good performance in Buffalo for those of us in attendance.

In Babcock's post game presser it sounded like Leaf players are going to get bag skated today at practice as Babs put it "for not showing up yesterday".

He was ticked off at the performance and said (paraphrased) "it looked like Washington made it look like they were playing against kids out there today".

PS. In Buffalo has seldom been a place Leafs have thrived.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Leafs definitely need to be punished for that "performance."

"Display" might be a more apt term.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I had to be up at 5 this morning so I'm glad I didn't watch much of this gong show. 0/10, bad game, would not watch again.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
In Babcock's post game presser it sounded like Leaf players are going to get bag skated today at practice as Babs put it "for not showing up yesterday".

He was ticked off at the performance and said (paraphrased) "it looked like Washington made it look like they were playing against kids out there today".

PS. In Buffalo has seldom been a place Leafs have thrived.
This will be my second visit, they won pretty easy last year when I showed up.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I agree.

Yeah the dream of catching Boston is pretty much dead. The obvious thing to do now is to start giving guys games off to rest while seeing what we have in Holl and Johnsson, maybe someone else? If we do go far in the playoffs we'll probably suffer some injuries so best get an idea of who can help now and who can't. Especially Holl, would be a huge mistake not giving him some games.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Trigger men and net presence guys never drive the play, they stand in front and tip and jam or they float on the perimeter and snipe. If you are looking for the classic 200 ft game look elsewhere. Personally I like JVR but think the 6-7 mil a 25 -30 scorer that he is, could be better spent on a top 4 d or... Tavares.

Sure but asset wise if you now lose JVR and get nothing of what you mention for free, well, you've taken a hefty asset loss.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yeah the dream of catching Boston is pretty much dead. The obvious thing to do now is to start giving guys games off to rest while seeing what we have in Holl and Johnsson, maybe someone else? If we do go far in the playoffs we'll probably suffer some injuries so best get an idea of who can help now and who can't. Especially Holl, would be a huge mistake not giving him some games.

I am off the opinion that they have to keep their foot on the gas. Until you clinch a divisional spot, at least. With the way Florida is going and with all of their games in hand, you never know. You don't want to go into the playoffs through the back door. Although, playing Holl and Carrick over Polak probably helps us win anyway.

Reactions: Mork

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
as a side note, it took until game 67 to pull a goalie for the first time. if our defense was really as bad as people claim, it would have happened a lot sooner

Reactions: Mugzy97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad