2024 NHL Entry Draft Discussion, June 28-29th

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
You forgot about two offensive players that will most likely be on this team still in Kesselring and Durzi. Having big bruising D-man in the playoffs is how you win. I don't want them taking Parekh. You can't pass up on a Russian Unicorn like Silayev. This guy is BA's wet dream.

Silayev-Durzi
Simashev-MavLam
Moser - Kesselring

If things pan out that is a D-core with a great mix of skill, size, and toughness. Don't forget, MavLam has offensive potential. He put up 33 pts in 39 games in the Q this season.

I don't disagree but on the flip side I think Boston is struggling with Florida's ability to get the puck back in their zone constantly. A big part of that is from Montour and Forsling and yes, OEL.

Bouchard just had a huge game again the Canucks. And speaking of the Oilers, their defense was extremely one dimensional and borderline a joke until they landed Ekholm and Bouchard.

Trust me if we take Silayev I'll be ecstatic because him and Levshunov have the highest ceilings. If it was my pick and all of Dickinson, Silayev and Yakemchuk were available I'd probably take them in that order. But tomorrow I could easily take Yakemchuk over Silayev. I do think I have Dickinson at the top of those three now. He brings a lot of intangibles and leadership along with proven two-way play.

I think my greatest fear with Silayev is that he becomes a faster Tyler Myers. That's. Lot better than a normal Tyler Myers but not someone I necessarily want to spend a top pick on.

I trust this scouting team though.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
I think my greatest fear with Silayev is that he becomes a faster Tyler Myers. That's. Lot better than a normal Tyler Myers but not someone I necessarily want to spend a top pick on.
Myers was a fast, puck-moving offensive dman in his Calder-Cup-winning rookie season (paired with defensive, 2-way partner in Tallinder). He was told to 'bulk up' which dramatically changed his game.

Silayev seems to lean more defensively. I don't think they're comparable, other than height.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Myers was a fast, puck-moving offensive dman in his Calder-Cup-winning rookie season (paired with defensive, 2-way partner in Tallinder). He was told to 'bulk up' which dramatically changed his game.

Silayev seems to lean more defensively. I don't think they're comparable, other than height.
Silyev is a breathtaking skater. Elite size/skating combo. He’s much meaner than Myers ever was. I can see why some folks have him top three. 7 of the 10 NHL head scouts McKenzie polled in his most recent article had Silayev top 4. Two had him 2nd, three 3rd and two 4th. I get it.

But I’m not a scout so I struggle to project skills that aren’t there yet. With Silayev I see unimpressive puck skills. Off puck, he’s an A+. With the puck he’s like a C- maybe. It’s hard for me as a fan to watch him play so many games and not really see many glimpses and project that into him. I’m not knowledgeable enough to see that kind of thing.

rt

May 13, 2004
Parekh was very impressive against Owen Sound. He was an offensive force at EV and PP. And despite being targeted physically, he was able to play his game. I was very unimpressed with him against the SOO and London. He was dominated physically. Rag dolled and injured. Slow to get up. Threw tantrums. Smashing sticks and whining. Avoided hard areas. Got injured. Largely mitigated at EV. Still put up 6pts in 9gp but just one goal and most of those points were not impressive.

Dickinson has been unbelievably good defensively and has really stepped up his physical game. He’s been so smart and valuable in all three zones. If you throw out his first round mismatch (only fair since I did it with Parekh) he’s got 10pts in 12pg in rounds 2-4.

I watched all their games. I saw Parekh wilt under the pressure of the post season. I saw Dickinson bloom in it. He thrives in the playoffs where Parekh barely survived the playoffs. This matters to me.

London is toying with Oshawa currently and looks to be a lock for the MemCup. Saginaw is hosting. I look forward to the Dickinson v Parekh rematch. For me, I don’t have this close any longer. I’ve got Dickinson well ahead.

rt

May 13, 2004

Looks like Habs fans are overwhelmingly supporting Iginla, here. So Buium will be available for us to vote for. I’d be so pumped if we got this kid.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017

Looks like Habs fans are overwhelmingly supporting Iginla, here. So Buium will be available for us to vote for. I’d be so pumped if we got this kid.
Same here. This defensive class is stacked and its hard to tell who will hit and be a top line player. I think Buium is your best bet as a two way stud. Buium, Levshunov and Dickinson are the 3 I like the most.

Reactions: rt and Summer Rose

rt

May 13, 2004
Sennecke was my favorite ‘24 player last season. I really liked Ritchie and watched a ton of Oshawa. Sennecke’s play making and slippery skill with his long frame always stood out to me as having amazing potential. He entered this season in my top ten. He had a slow start and other guys overtook him. He was in my 20s when the playoffs started. He’s been INCREDIBLE these playoffs. Looks like a top 5-10 pick easy based on tools talent and production. It’s nice that he’s not really a flash in the pan per se. He didn’t come out of nowhere. He’s been highly touted a long time.

That said, this is worrisome:

IMG_0968.jpeg

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sennecke was my favorite ‘24 player last season. I really liked Ritchie and watched a ton of Oshawa. Sennecke’s play making and slippery skill with his long frame always stood out to me as having amazing potential. He entered this season in my top ten. He had a slow start and other guys overtook him. He was in my 20s when the playoffs started. He’s been INCREDIBLE these playoffs. Looks like a top 5-10 pick easy based on tools talent and production. It’s nice that he’s not really a flash in the pan per se. He didn’t come out of nowhere. He’s been highly touted a long time.

That said, this is worrisome:

View attachment 869391
Scouts do like them some recency bias and i think Senneke may make someone in the top 5 say “yes please” based on his playoffs. We still likely go D imo.

rt

May 13, 2004

rt

May 13, 2004
My top 6

Celebrini
Lindstrom
Silayev
Levshunov
Yakemchuk
Demidov

I'll be pretty darn happy with any one of them and with some others too.
I need to do some tweaking. Mem Cup needs to be factored in and the WC and I haven’t really adjusted for u18s yet, honestly. So this will likely change a fair bit:

1. Celebrini
  2. Demidov
  3. Buium
  4. Dickinson
  5. Levshunov
  6. Yakemchuk
  7. Silayev
  8. Lindstrom
  9. Iginla
  10. Parekh
  11. Sennecke
  12. Brandsegg-Nygard
  13. Catton
  14. Helenius
  15. Surin
  16. Chernyshov
  17. Miettinen
  18. Luchanko
  19. Eiserman
  20. Jiricek

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Using this fun little tool Draft Simulator
I did 2 drafts. One without trades and one with trades:

Without trades:

6 - Anton Silayev D
38 - Jett Luchanko C
49 - Tomas Galvas D
63 - Carter George G
71 - Stian Solberg D
89 - John Whipple D
90 - Julius Miettinen C
98 - Emil Vinni G
103 - Owen Allard C
135 - Eriks Mateiko RW
167 - David Svozil D
192 - Yegor Klimovich LW
199 - Adam Kral D

With trades:

6, 199 to CGY for 9, 29, 41
29, 41, 49 to MIN for 15
38, 71, 98 to DET for 47, 49

9 - Anton Silayev D
15 - Carter Yakemchuk D
47 - Brodie Zimmer RW
49 - Yegor Surin RW
63 - Carter George G
89 - Jesse Pulkinnen D
90 - Julius Miettinen C
103 - Ondrej Kos LW
135 - John Parsons G
167 - Tory Pitner D
192 - Miro Satan C

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Using this fun little tool Draft Simulator
I did 2 drafts. One without trades and one with trades:

Without trades:

6 - Anton Silayev D
38 - Jett Luchanko C
49 - Tomas Galvas D
63 - Carter George G
71 - Stian Solberg D
89 - John Whipple D
90 - Julius Miettinen C
98 - Emil Vinni G
103 - Owen Allard C
135 - Eriks Mateiko RW
167 - David Svozil D
192 - Yegor Klimovich LW
199 - Adam Kral D

With trades:

6, 199 to CGY for 9, 29, 41
29, 41, 49 to MIN for 15
38, 71, 98 to DET for 47, 49

9 - Anton Silayev D
15 - Carter Yakemchuk D
47 - Brodie Zimmer RW
49 - Yegor Surin RW
63 - Carter George G
89 - Jesse Pulkinnen D
90 - Julius Miettinen C
103 - Ondrej Kos LW
135 - John Parsons G
167 - Tory Pitner D
192 - Miro Satan C
Yep, I'd pretty much kill to get both Silayev & Yakemchuk...not to mention Surin, Pulkinnen & Satan

Make it so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad