Post-Game Talk: Leafs cakewalk to Win -> Habs suckage hits new levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
It is so amazing how worked up people get about everything the Leafs do. Like 31 out of the 32 other teams don't do the same thing the Leafs did?

It's really not hard to see the origins of the consistently terrible officiating the Leafs get in their games. I swear the refs feel they have some obligation to these thin skinned haters like Cox to make sure the Leafs get no calls.

All we need is Simmons and Berger to complete the trifecta of misery.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The D played the puck, albeit poorly, so it shouldn't be an assist. Its not a block or deflection, its a purposeful play on the puck which negates Marner's assist.
With that said, the NHL is usually a little more lenient than their actual rulebook.
The D didn't play the puck though. He moved his body part so that the puck would deflect off of it, but players deflect pucks with their body parts all the time and it doesn't count as possession. If he had gone down and blocked a shot that deflected off him to somebody else, would that negate the assist? No. It wouldn't count as possession for offside. It wouldn't count as possession for calling a penalty. Why would it count as possession here?

The rulebook's wording is very vague, but we have tons of evidence of how possession is treated in the NHL, even for assist situations like this. Repeated precedent determines this should have been an assist. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but it's just an unnecessary kick in the teeth to one of the league's top players who made a nice play that directly contributed to the goal. We all know that if McDavid was chasing 150 and did that, it would be an assist.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Cox being bitter about the fans and team that rejects him as any kind Leaf observer? Shocking.

While Cox is an expert on being hated, his $0.02 has no real value to anyone.

Just a pathetic irrelevant hack looking for clicks.
Do you recall the other team that played their emergency callup goalie this year?

All I can remember is that everyone seemed to agree it was a special sporting moment.

Why this is a big deal in Leafland is absurd

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The D didn't play the puck though. He moved his body part so that the puck would deflect off of it, but players deflect pucks with their body parts all the time and it doesn't count as possession. If he had gone down and blocked a shot that deflected off him to somebody else, would that negate the assist? No. It wouldn't count as possession for offside. It wouldn't count as possession for calling a penalty. Why would it count as possession here?

The rulebook's wording is very vague, but we have tons of evidence of how possession is treated in the NHL, even for assist situations like this. Repeated precedent determines this should have been an assist. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but it's just an unnecessary kick in the teeth to one of the league's top players who made a nice play that directly contributed to the goal. We all know that if McDavid was chasing 150 and did that, it would be an assist.
Come on FFS, he clearly kicked the puck. Get over it. Seriously, he moved his body part ??

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

The rulebook's wording is very vague, but we have tons of evidence of how possession is treated in the NHL, even for assist situations like this. Repeated precedent determines this should have been an assist.
He purposes made a play on the puck with his leg/ foot. The way the rule is written doesnt require possession, just a play on the puck which happened.

The dman made a decision to completely change the direction of the puck with an attempt to clear the zone.

Do you recall the other team that played their emergency callup goalie this year?

All I can remember is that everyone seemed to agree it was a special sporting moment.

Why this is a big deal in Leafland is absurd
Edmonton

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He purposes made a play on the puck with his leg/ foot. The way the rule is written doesnt require possession, just a play on the puck which happened.

The dman made a decision to completely change the direction of the puck with an attempt to clear the zone.

Edmonton

He kicked the puck. The same guy who said that Holl did not pick Cirelli and Nylander did not pull up in the corner when the video clearly shows differently is now saying the Habs dman "moved his body part so that the puck would deflect off of it, " when the video clearly shows a kicking motion.

I'd like to see what D4D would say if that puck had gone into the Leafs net. You can bet it would not be "He moved his body part". LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teeder Keon

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Whatever you think the rulebook says, that's not how possession is applied in the NHL in any situation, including scoring purposes.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I'd like to see what D4D would say if that puck had gone into the Leafs net.
I would say the exact same thing. Why would I argue that a player shouldn't get credit for his earned points, just because it's against us? Seems like a weird thing to rally against.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Did someone drop Chris Wideman on his f***ing head?
Hes in the best hockey league in the world but whining about it being too tough lol. Brutal.

Time to hang them up then.

I never played any sport near this level but there was enough games the team I was on got killed and I'd be pissed off.

It sucks to lose. You just say go get them next time. Not whine about a good team beating you fair and square.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Tanking after just drafting first overall the year before is just pathetic. I'll be pretty pissed if they pick #1 again, even if they get in the top 3 it's pretty embarrassing.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
pilot-sweating.gif
I think the Woll thing is them just playing dumb before the Knies thing plays out.

I don't think they can say "ya, we will call Woll up on an emergency basis after we sign Knies"
Dubas is going to give Pridham a heart condition

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I would say the exact same thing. Why would I argue that a player shouldn't get credit for his earned points, just because it's against us? Seems like a weird thing to rally against.
Only weird in your mind. If they called that so-called "deflection" a goal, you'd blow a gasket and say it was kicked. I know I would.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Tanking after just drafting first overall the year before is just pathetic. I'll be pretty pissed if they pick #1 again, even if they get in the top 3 it's pretty embarrassing.

Well when you draft one of the worse performing 1st overall picks in 50 years, ya kinda need to take a couple of years in a row.

Every time we win on HNIC there is some pisssy thread on the main boards lol.

Start Sammy on Monday and then Woll Tuesday and Thursday imo.

Start Woll all three games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad