GDT: Leafs@Bruins 7 PM CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Saturday NHL game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Boston Bruins

Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask, drafted by Leafs in 2005, hasn’t lost in regulation in 19 games.

Saturday NHL game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Boston Bruins | Toronto Star

rielly_rask.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x724.jpg

Leaf Morgan Rielly drives the net and beats Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask when the eams met last season. (Rick Madonik / Toronto Star file photo)

By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Fri., Feb. 2, 2018

TD GARDEN
FACEOFF:
7 p.m.
TV: CBC
RADIO: TSN 1050
KEY PLAYERS
Rask/van Riemsdyk
Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask, drafted 21st overall by the Leafs in 2005, has earned points in 19 straight games (17-0-2) . . . Leafs forward James van Riemsdyk scored against the Rangers on Thursday, hitting the 20-goal mark for the fifth time.
NEED TO KNOW
Bruins centre Patrice Bergeron has five goals and five assists over his past seven games … The Bruins are 17-1-3 in their last 21 games, and 17-6-4 overall on home ice. They have not lost in regulation since Nov. 26 . . . Boston’s David Pastrnak has a seven-game point streak (three goals, six assists) . . . Ryan Spooner has seven goals and five assists in his last 13 games . . . They’ve sold out the TD Garden for 365 straight regular-season and playoff games since Dec. 5, 2009 . . . All-star forward Brad Marchand is still serving a five-game suspension for elbowing, but defenceman Charlie McAvoy might be back after missing time with an abnormal heartbeat.
UP NEXT
Monday vs. Anaheim Ducks, 7 p.m.

Game Day: Maple Leafs at Bruins
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan

Game Day: Maple Leafs at Bruins

bergeron4webb-e1517635979749.jpg

Boston Bruins centre Patrice Bergeron. (MARY SCHWALM/AP)

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS at BOSTON BRUINS
Saturday, 7 p.m., TD Garden
TV: CBC, Sportsnet Radio: 1050 AM
THE BIG MATCHUP
Auston Matthews vs. Patrice Bergeron

As much as Auston Matthews has been able to create offence despite often facing the opposition’s top centre, the wily, crafty, sound Patrice Bergeron brings a different element entirely. Matthews is not one who gets frustrated easily, but Bergeron, a four-time Selke winner, has made based his NHL career on being a defensive gem. Still, in four career games against the Bruins, Matthews has five points.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
1. Quick and relentless
The Maple Leafs have gone 142 minutes 17 since allowing a goal, with several factors leading to the solid defence. “We’re coming back hard,” Patrick Marleau said of the Leafs’ attention to effort. “And having a third guy high was important early on in the game (against the Rangers on Thursday).” The Leafs must continue on that path.
2. Boost for the Leafs D?
We should have a good idea following the morning skate whether defencemen Morgan Rielly (arm) or Ron Hainsey (illness) will return to the Leafs lineup. The defence corps has held up without them, but you can bet both would be welcomed back. It’s Game 54, but given the ramifications in the standings, the addition of either would be a bonus.
3. It’s a four-pointer
The Leafs will have one more chance to beat the Bruins, on Feb. 24 in Toronto. With Boston three points up and with four games in hand, consider it a must-win for Toronto with first-round home ice at play. “Toronto is an opponent we might see,” Patrice Bergeron said. “We’re trying to get away from them in the standings and push them down.”
4. Moving parts
Like the Leafs, the Bruins didn’t practise on Friday, and it will be determined on Saturday whether defencemen Charlie McAvoy and Kevan Miller will play. McAvoy has missed four games with a heart ailment. “He hasn’t been ruled out,” Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. “Not going to say he’s in either yet. We’ll keep monitoring that.”
5. No Marchand
Brad Marchand is a thorn in the side of each opponent, but because he can’t stop himself from crossing the line every so often, he will be serving the fourth game of a five-game suspension. The Leafs will say they just worry about themselves, but it’s a benefit they won’t have to plan for Marchand, who has 50 points in 38 games this season.
MAPLE LEAFS LINES
LW-C-RW
Zach Hyman-Auston Matthews-William Nylander
Patrick Marleau-Nazem Kadri-Mitch Marner
James van Riemsdyk-Tyler Bozak-Connor Brown
Leo Komarov-Dominic Moore-Kasperi Kapanen
Defence pairs
Jake Gardiner-Nikita Zaitsev
Travis Dermott-Justin Holl
Andreas Borgman-Connor Carrick
Goaltenders
Frederik Andersen
Curtis McElhinney
BRUINS LINES
LW-C-RW
Danton Heinen-Patrice Bergeron-David Pastrnak
Jake DeBrusk-David Krejci-Ryan Spooner
TBA-Riley Nash-David Backes
Tim Schaller-Sean Kuraly-Frank Vatrano
Defence pairs
Zdeno Chara-Brandon Carlo/Charlie McAvoy
Torey Krug-Adam McQuaid
Matt Grzelcyk-Kevan Miller/Paul Postma
Goaltenders
Tuukka Rask
Anton Khudobin
INJURIES
Bruins — D Charlie McAvoy (heart), F Noel Acciari (lower body), F Anders Bjork (upper body), D Kevan Miller (upper body).
Maple Leafs — D Morgan Rielly (upper body), D Ron Hainsey (illness), D Roman Polak (illness).
SPECIAL TEAMS
Power play
Maple Leafs: 20.6% (12th)
Bruins: 21.7% (7th)
Penalty kill
Maple Leafs: 83.7% (4th)
Bruins: 83.3% (5th)

Hockey Night in Canada: Maple Leafs vs. Bruins

Free live stream on CBC Sports app

CBC Sports · February 2

WATCH | HNIC: Maple Leafs vs. Bruins | CBC Sports

cut.jpg

Reactions: bax

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
I do like our forward depth a lot more than theirs. It's one reason where playing 4 of 7 on the road may not hurt our chances so much.

That said, their two-month run cannot be overlooked. Despite the depth, this may be a game you see Matthews eclipse 20 minutes.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Catching up to Boston isn't as important as making sure they don't catch up to Tampa imo

to me it's a potato/potahto situation.
we win, we're this much closer to second. meaning. Boston isn't. and if they lose, they don't catch Tampa. Win win.

Not afraid of either team.

me either.
I'm not disrespecting either team but I believe whole heartedly we'd be able to give both of them a big run for their money in a seven game series. (especially if we do some tinking).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
to me it's a potato/potahto situation.
we win, we're this much closer to second. meaning. Boston isn't. and if they lose, they don't catch Tampa. Win win.

me either.
I'm not disrespecting either team but I believe whole heartedly we'd be able to give both of them a big run for their money in a seven game series. (especially if we do some tinking).
I think we match up pretty well against Boston. for whatever reason we just seem to have their number now, although they're still a pretty dangerous team.

When a team has an elite 1c, elite 1d, elite 1w, and elite 1g as well as some good depth, the last thing we should want is to see them in the playoffs. Tampa is scary

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think we match up pretty well against Boston. for whatever reason we just seem to have their number now, although they're still a pretty dangerous team.

When a team has an elite 1c, elite 1d, elite 1w, and elite 1g as well as some good depth, the last thing we should want is to see them in the playoffs. Tampa is scary

we're gonna have to face'em sooner or later.

Reactions: bax

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I'm just hoping we keep playing well and that leads to victory. Can't stand the Bruins the playoff loss a few years ago still lingers. Redemption comes this spring.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yeah it really is interesting as even with our play improving so dramatically that first PP unit has still been absolutely useless. Biggest problems I have seen is to start they just can not seem to win that initial faceoff to get an early set up and that leaves them scrambling around to break in and then set up on the fly....and when doing that it's like they have no plan and have just been easily filtered to the outside. All of this in turn leaves the Matthews unit with like 40-45 seconds of scraps to work with. It's great that we seem to have gotten the big problems sorted but getting our PP back is going to be key heading into the playoffs.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Boston has the best record in the NHL over the last 2 months, but when we're firing on all cylinders, we can beat anybody.

I wouldn't be surprised if it went into overtime tonight.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Hoping Rielly and Hainsey return tonight.
I hope not, actually. Same with Polak. Want Dermott, Holl, etc to keep rolling, to see what they can do. Only way to force Bobcat to play some of these kids is to have injuries to the vets.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Just to a stroll through the Bs GDT....2 things, they really hate us (LOL) and they are still riding game 7 of the past pretty hard. Hopefully this complete new roster gives them something new to think about....GO LEAFS!!!

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I hope not, actually. Same with Polak. Want Dermott, Holl, etc to keep rolling, to see what they can do. Only way to force Bobcat to play some of these kids is to have injuries to the vets.
....you hope our best 2 defenseman don't return for what it's likely our biggest game so far??

Reactions: realgoodleafs

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Just to a stroll through the Bs GDT....2 things, they really hate us (LOL) and they are still riding game 7 of the past pretty hard. Hopefully this complete new roster gives them something new to think about....GO LEAFS!!!
Most B's fans don't hate the Leafs or their fans.

As a STH in Boston for many years I have always liked the visiting Toronto fans. I also went to a game up there in 2014 and loved the city. The fans teased my daughter and myself but knew their hockey and were friendly.

I dislike the Habs (of course), the Flyers and the Nucks.

I hope for a great game tonight with no injuries to either team.

See you there (There are always many Leaf fans at the Garden).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Most B's fans don't hate the Leafs or their fans.

As a STH in Boston for many years I have always liked the visiting Toronto fans. I also went to a game up there in 2014 and loved the city. The fans teased my daughter and myself but knew their hockey and were friendly.

I dislike the Habs (of course), the Flyers and the Nucks.

I hope for a great game tonight with no injuries to either team.

See you there (There are always many Leaf fans at the Garden).
yeah i saw you say nice things about Leafs fans, thank you for that. Anyone who dislikes the Habs, Flyers, and Canucks can't be all bad

Hope this is a good game tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad