Confirmed with Link: Leafs bring back Malgin on a 1 year deal, $750k

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
I’m glad to see him responding well in a bottom 6 role. He didn’t look like himself when he was playing in the top 6, was deferring too much. He’s playing way more directly and confidently now and trying to make chances himself. I hope Keefe keeps that line together.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Absurd amount of negativity and hate in this thread right now considering Malgin busted his ass in two key games and was a game changer in both. Having a high work ethic, offensively skilled guy in the bottom 6 is a nice change from the beginning of the season.
This. But the usual suspects......yikes.

Apparently if he's not Gretzky or Probert, he's useless. At $750k

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
Never understood the hate for Malgin, and to see it now just seems like people are way too attached to their ego. Cheap, effective player, with a unique skillset... that, even against my thinking, has been effective in the bottom six. While we would all love more points, look at his salary, temper expectations, and enjoy the player for what he's doing.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Never understood the hate for Malgin, and to see it now just seems like people are way too attached to their ego. Cheap, effective player, with a unique skillset... that, even against my thinking, has been effective in the bottom six. While we would all love more points, look at his salary, temper expectations, and enjoy the player for what he's doing.
Ego is mankind's ugliest trait.

As seen in here.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Two good games with fancy corsi that yielded nothing on the scoreboard is enough to get the moisture levels on this board off the charts. This is why Leaf fans are considered the most obnoxious fanbase in the league lmao.
I have no idea how talking about Malgin, on our own board, makes us obnoxious. All teams in every sport I’m sure have fans that talk about the depth players just like we do.

The sheer mass of our Fanbase means instead of 2 pages of discussion there ends up being 50, which other fan bases probably find annoying. The guy who was being an ass towards Dubas’s grandma on Twitter last week definitely give us a bad look. Imho one of the biggest reason we’re hated is that pretty much every arena we go to there’s a Go Leafs Go chant.

If fans of other teams find a Malgin discussion annoying than they should probably go back to their own boards.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yes, Malgin had two very good games this weekend. If people have been paying attention, he's played well in more games than that. For people actually paying attention to his play, not just in preseason, but last year at the World Hockey Championship, and league play, it's not surprising either... it's expected. I get the easy to hate narrative, another small Dubas player.... yup, easy target there, and must be a tough pill to swallow, when he can actually contribute.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
He looks really effective out there. He's clearly skilled, but it also looks like something clicked with him in terms of his work away from the puck

He’s solid as a line driver but bad as a passenger. He’s in a unique position driving offensive zone time alongside 2 offensively inept player. Logic suggest it shouldn’t work, but it is working really well.

ZAR - Kampf - Malgin has consistently been our most effective line so far

Reactions: Ashdown2

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I've been very happy with him.

Guy drives offense in the bottom 6 while remaining strong defensively. He will be important for depth production going forward. Good for him!

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It's not like playing cheap skill in the bottom 6 is a new idea, mid-2000s teams had guys like Afinogenov/Wellwood/Raymond stashed away on a 3rd line to exploit bad matchups.

If established grinders are making 3.5+, the league drifts to running cheaper skill on the bottom lines until a team wins with that strategy and the B-C tier skill gets overpriced again. Then inevitably an LA style team will win again with newly cheap grinders like Clifford and Lewis smothering you and the whole cycle repeats.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I've noticed in the past week, he actually finishes his checks one the forecheck if he gets a chance. It's not going to be thunderous but it's nice to see that commitment.
100% he’s turning into a nice player, works hard and it seems they get chances when he’s on the ice.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I’ve been reading here for the first time about Malgin .
Excellent points from everyone and especially from his backers .., that’s cool 😎
That’s not my take as you know .
But I do want to clarify my position and opinion on our new fluffy little toy poodle out there 🤪😉😉😉
It’s not about him or his talents ( that he has ) in some offensive skills for sure , you can tell he was probably that rink rat friend or the new kid that we all knew with his crazy ability to stuck handle and the best shifty skater , you all know the one , could even been you ? Certainly not me 🥸
My gripes about him and or 47 and players like that , the tall and beautiful with long necks or tiny and cute buttons that they are , aren’t actually directed to them as talents , look they are in the freakin NHL , they are good ok .
But it’s that , here it is agsin and again … yawn
We don’t need these types of players !!!!!!
That’s why are always doing “ Leafy things “!!!!!
It’s not our talent and skill , enough already , we don’t need any more , especially tiny ones or tall ones that obviously haven’t added anything to our journey and “ passion “ .
How many more times do we as a fan base have to endure any more with the AM and Mm and J T and on and on and on get their faces slapped and punched and hit hard and giving no respect what so ever !
It’s sickening, you were all fans of the Leafs teams that were at least dogged on the puck , hitters , taking the body always , defenders of each other , some fighters , but always always tough !!! Always having pride in each other ( for those of you that don’t have a clue about “ dressing room “ shiiiit then you just won’t get this .
I’m tired of defending our super super soft team overall ! And I call out for the first time Shanny and Dubas !! What the hell is going on , why can’t we have , young , tough , awesome skating hungry a bit crazy at times line ?? It’s crazy .
So when you see 62 and 47 and 19 and 15 skating around majestically and gracefully and on the odd game they come up with a good one , yayyyyy . In the playoffs , you all know we haven’t gone past the 1st friken round in friken forever with an amazing 5 players of super skill !!!!!
We need to change our philosophy and get some balance and different ingredients.
Enough !!
So to you Mr Malgin and Mr Engvall , you’re good and beautiful.
But we need Real good and ugly in the bottom .
Oh by the way this Will also add points to our superstars as they won’t have to defend themselves anymore and worry about getting rocked so hard that it’s over .
They will play a more relaxed head high game .
I don’t want Simmonds players either , they are over the hill .
But bring back at least one line of nasty young ones that are actually players as well .
So please look at the hits every game , think back to the playoffs .
I love my Leafs just as much as all you old die hards and new ones as well .
But I hate hate hate that we might have the softest , most passive , non stickup for your teammates team in the league and definitely in our history .
I don’t like it and I confident that the number 1 reason why we haven’t been successful when it counts and it’s on the line is our makeup this important ingredient .
You guys and gals and respectfully anyone else that know the score here and why we are where we are .
Fun to watch
Great players
Excellent coach
Fast
Skilled
Great stats
Team records
But

0 success where it counts
Playoffs !!!

I’ll never give up on them ever !
But I dislike our weakness and every other team knows it !
Yuk !
Go freakin Leafs Go
We ain’t the Shabs !!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I've noticed in the past week, he actually finishes his checks one the forecheck if he gets a chance. It's not going to be thunderous but it's nice to see that commitment.

He always had commitment. He just was rarely on a checking line and you don't really notice it much at his size.

Plus it is hard to throw many checks when you have the puck all of the time.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Malign is starting to grow on me a bit. Maybe put a shooter on his line. Aston-Reese cost Malgin an apple tonight.

Wouldn’t mind giving Robertson a shot on that line with Kampf and Malgin. Or re-unite Robertson-Kerfoot-Malgin from preseason and then you could re-unite Engvall-Kampf who had chemistry last year. Tavares-Marner have chemistry this game and Matthews-Nylander are just elite when their on.

????/Bunting- Matthews - Nylander
Bunting/????? - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Kerfoot- Malgin
Engvall - Kampf - Jarnkrok

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
You can only shuffle the same forwards around and around so many times before you realize that what we have here up front is not quite right. Need to shuffle a few players off to other teams and shuffle some different ones back in.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I’ve been reading here for the first time about Malgin .
Excellent points from everyone and especially from his backers .., that’s cool 😎
That’s not my take as you know .
But I do want to clarify my position and opinion on our new fluffy little toy poodle out there 🤪😉😉😉
It’s not about him or his talents ( that he has ) in some offensive skills for sure , you can tell he was probably that rink rat friend or the new kid that we all knew with his crazy ability to stuck handle and the best shifty skater , you all know the one , could even been you ? Certainly not me 🥸
My gripes about him and or 47 and players like that , the tall and beautiful with long necks or tiny and cute buttons that they are , aren’t actually directed to them as talents , look they are in the freakin NHL , they are good ok .
But it’s that , here it is agsin and again … yawn
We don’t need these types of players !!!!!!
That’s why are always doing “ Leafy things “!!!!!
It’s not our talent and skill , enough already , we don’t need any more , especially tiny ones or tall ones that obviously haven’t added anything to our journey and “ passion “ .
How many more times do we as a fan base have to endure any more with the AM and Mm and J T and on and on and on get their faces slapped and punched and hit hard and giving no respect what so ever !
It’s sickening, you were all fans of the Leafs teams that were at least dogged on the puck , hitters , taking the body always , defenders of each other , some fighters , but always always tough !!! Always having pride in each other ( for those of you that don’t have a clue about “ dressing room “ shiiiit then you just won’t get this .
I’m tired of defending our super super soft team overall ! And I call out for the first time Shanny and Dubas !! What the hell is going on , why can’t we have , young , tough , awesome skating hungry a bit crazy at times line ?? It’s crazy .
So when you see 62 and 47 and 19 and 15 skating around majestically and gracefully and on the odd game they come up with a good one , yayyyyy . In the playoffs , you all know we haven’t gone past the 1st friken round in friken forever with an amazing 5 players of super skill !!!!!
We need to change our philosophy and get some balance and different ingredients.
Enough !!
So to you Mr Malgin and Mr Engvall , you’re good and beautiful.
But we need Real good and ugly in the bottom .
Oh by the way this Will also add points to our superstars as they won’t have to defend themselves anymore and worry about getting rocked so hard that it’s over .
They will play a more relaxed head high game .
I don’t want Simmonds players either , they are over the hill .
But bring back at least one line of nasty young ones that are actually players as well .
So please look at the hits every game , think back to the playoffs .
I love my Leafs just as much as all you old die hards and new ones as well .
But I hate hate hate that we might have the softest , most passive , non stickup for your teammates team in the league and definitely in our history .
I don’t like it and I confident that the number 1 reason why we haven’t been successful when it counts and it’s on the line is our makeup this important ingredient .
You guys and gals and respectfully anyone else that know the score here and why we are where we are .
Fun to watch
Great players
Excellent coach
Fast
Skilled
Great stats
Team records
But

0 success where it counts
Playoffs !!!

I’ll never give up on them ever !
But I dislike our weakness and every other team knows it !
Yuk !
Go freakin Leafs Go
We ain’t the Shabs !!
Well said !!!!!!!!!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That's the difference between him now and when he started the season in the top 6. It's interesting because he was playing this way in preseason but when the regular season started it seemed like he got overwhelmed and started to play timid. Thankfully he's got some mojo now on his line and seems to be playing with a lot more confidence. I wonder he'll get a look in the top six again.

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Absurd amount of negativity and hate in this thread right now considering Malgin busted his ass in two key games and was a game changer in both. Having a high work ethic, offensively skilled guy in the bottom 6 is a nice change from the beginning of the season.

He's a warm body that tries hard. If he were replaced by another tweener, we wouldnt know he was ever here.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
“ Malgin busted his ass in two key games “
That’s the problem
“ two “
“ games “

How about the other games ?
This is a professional sport and this team is trying to win the big prize ,
6-10 games out of 80 ish of “ busting “ ass which I still think is a bit bull shitery isn’t enough and with his size and style that effort isn’t going to win in the real games ( playoffs )
Enough with this crazy talk about the J S Sauve look alike ( look him up ) better skilled than Tiny Malgin but almost always played only on the PP
We don’t need any more semi skilled players with wet fart efforts and lack of tenacity and meanness and size .
GLG

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
“ Malgin busted his ass in two key games “
That’s the problem
“ two “
“ games “

How about the other games ?
This is a professional sport and this team is trying to win the big prize ,
6-10 games out of 80 ish of “ busting “ ass which I still think is a bit bull shitery isn’t enough and with his size and style that effort isn’t going to win in the real games ( playoffs )
Enough with this crazy talk about the J S Souve look alike
We don’t need any more semi skilled players with wet fart efforts and lack of tenacity and meanness and size .
GLG
Our 4th line has been very good lately. I disagree with your overall sentiment.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Our 4th line has been very good lately. I disagree with your overall sentiment.
We are talking about mini Malgin not the 4th line
Disagree all you want
Here’s the reality
“0” playoff round wins !!!!!!!!!
“0” count ‘em !!!!
Of course this isn’t on him , but if we continue with players like him in our bottom 6
That “0” number will continue to be “0”
Do you actually know that with all of our top loaded talent that we’ve won “ 0” ?????
Do you think that we should possibly try a different way ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad