Leafs bottom pairing D?

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I really like Harrington and Corrado's games. Percy I think will never have an NHL career because he's is one more serious head-injury away from not playing but having said that I think Stuart deserves a fair shot at playing the system with Leafs.

Why?

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Leafs
Martin Marincin
Frank Corrado
Scott Harrington

Marlies
Rinat Valiev
Viktor Loov

Traded
Jared Cowen
Stuart Percy

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I think Percy will be the odd man out next year. He just hasn't progressed. He still has the same weaknesses he had when he was 20. If he is even 180 lb right now I will eat my hat.

Who knows maybe he will hulk up over the summer but it hasn't happened yet. Depending on how deep the Marlies go he might not have much offseason. The current leafs and Zaitsev will all have a nice long offseason to get ready.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leaf 2016 defence

Gardiner, Reilly, Hunwick
Zaitsev
Would like to Polak resigned, after he traded at the TDL
Really don't think Percy and Harrington are NHLers.

Maracin not resigned

So maybe a vet or two signed till Dermott, Valiev, Neilson are ready.

Did we forget Robadas?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
A bit early yet. Why hasn't Zaitsev signed yet ? Wasn't it supposed to happen weeks ago ?

Of the guys we currently have

Rielly, Gardiner and Hunwick are locks. If we sign Zaitsev I put him as a lock too. I also believe Cowen gets a year.

Rielly Hunwick
Gardiner Zaitsev
Cowen

That leaves two spots for Marincin/Corrado/Percy/Loov etc. which will be determined at training camp, I would say Corrado has the inside track on one spot and the last one is totally up for grabs. If Zaitsev does not sign it's yet another spot. We do not really have much of a glut. Then do we sign any free agents ?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Next season the Leafs should have a plethora of supposedly bottom pairing dman (that are nhl or some what nhl ready). The list includes but is not limited to (and not limited to the fact that they may only be bottom pairing d-man)

Victor Loov (23)
Scott Harrington (22, turning 23 in march)
Stuart Percy (22, 23 in may)
Rinat Valiev (20, 21 in may)
Frank Corrado (22, 23 in march)
Jared Cowen (25)
Martin Marincin (23, 24 in a few days)

Who do you see staying with the Marlies next season, who do you see on the leafs and who do you see off the roster?

just for the fun of it project the Leafs D next year as well as the Marlies if you want

Throw Zaitsev into that group as well... he's not officially a Leaf yet, but that seems to be a forgone conclusion.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Waivers: Harrington

New acquisitions: Zaitsev

Call-ups: Percy

Traded: Polak, Cowen

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Corrado
Percy - Hunwick

I guess Harrington can sit as the 7...Once we get that top 4 RHD, Corrado slots down to third pair.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Harrington will be penciled in over Percy for a number of reasons not limited to his experience with Hunter and the fact he was a piece of the Kessel trade. He already made the team this year (before being sent down) and it doesn't appear as if mgmt is a fan of Percy. I like Stu but I just don't understand how people think he's realistically going to be written in over Harrington unless he has an unreal training camp.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Leafs
Harrington
Percy
Zaitsev-Assuming he signs

Marlies
Loov - Doesn't need to clear waivers

Gone
Cowen-Bought out or traded
Marincin-Traded/not qualified

Looks something like

Hunwick Rielly
Gardiner Zaisev
Percy Corrado
Harrington

Ideally they bring in a vet top 4 d who can log tough minutes.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
A bit early yet. Why hasn't Zaitsev signed yet ? Wasn't it supposed to happen weeks ago ?

Of the guys we currently have

Rielly, Gardiner and Hunwick are locks. If we sign Zaitsev I put him as a lock too. I also believe Cowen gets a year.

Rielly Hunwick
Gardiner Zaitsev
Cowen

That leaves two spots for Marincin/Corrado/Percy/Loov etc. which will be determined at training camp, I would say Corrado has the inside track on one spot and the last one is totally up for grabs. If Zaitsev does not sign it's yet another spot. We do not really have much of a glut. Then do we sign any free agents ?

cant sign until his khl season is over i believe

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Leafs
Harrington
Percy
Zaitsev-Assuming he signs

Marlies
Loov - Doesn't need to clear waivers

Gone
Cowen-Bought out or traded
Marincin-Traded/not qualified

Looks something like

Hunwick Rielly
Gardiner Zaisev
Percy Corrado
Harrington

Ideally they bring in a vet top 4 d who can log tough minutes.

This projected D pairings has me excited for our chances top pick top 5 next year. Let the young guys play, hopefully learn and add another top pick in the draft. If we get lucky we'll have drafted our #1C, a future top pair D and a goalie over the next couple drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad