Leafs bottom pairing D?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Next season the Leafs should have a plethora of supposedly bottom pairing dman (that are nhl or some what nhl ready). The list includes but is not limited to (and not limited to the fact that they may only be bottom pairing d-man)

Victor Loov (23)
Scott Harrington (22, turning 23 in march)
Stuart Percy (22, 23 in may)
Rinat Valiev (20, 21 in may)
Frank Corrado (22, 23 in march)
Jared Cowen (25)
Martin Marincin (23, 24 in a few days)

Who do you see staying with the Marlies next season, who do you see on the leafs and who do you see off the roster?

just for the fun of it project the Leafs D next year as well as the Marlies if you want

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Staying - Leafs
Victor Loov (23)

Staying - Marlies

Traded
Jared Cowen (25)

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Staying - Leafs
Victor Loov (23)

Staying - Marlies

Traded
Jared Cowen (25)
Bingo.

Except I think Cowen sticks around. Will be given a chance to find a place in the top 4 short-term.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Marincin-Corrado is my bet, with Percy getting traded, Valiev staying in the Marlies, Loov staying on the Marlies (Don't think he gets claimed), Harrington as the 7th D who replaces someone when they have a bad game or get injured, and Cowen traded or bought out.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
Marincin-Corrado is my bet, with Percy getting traded, Valiev staying in the Marlies, Loov staying on the Marlies (Don't think he gets claimed), Harrington as the 7th D who replaces someone when they have a bad game or get injured, and Cowen traded or bought out.

Loov absolutely gets claimed IMO

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Next season the Leafs should have a plethora of supposedly bottom pairing dman (that are nhl or some what nhl ready). The list includes but is not limited to (and not limited to the fact that they may only be bottom pairing d-man)

Victor Loov (23)
Jared Cowen (25)

Who do you see staying with the Marlies next season, who do you see on the leafs and who do you see off the roster?

Loov - Marlies because he's still waiver exempt
Harrington - Leafs
Percy - Leafs
Valiev - Marlies
Corrado - Leafs
Cowen - traded or bought out
Marincin - traded or waived

also if he signs add...

Zaitsev - Leafs

That's 4 of them on the Leafs, with Gardiner, Rielly and Hunwick, which leaves 1 of them on the 2nd pair, unless of course we sign a stop gap or trade for someone who fits in which case Harrington, and Percy are likely competing for the final spot as Corrado is a righty so he probably stays

Rielly - Hunwick
Gardiner - ______
Percy - Zaitsev
Harrington - Corrado

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Loov absolutely gets claimed IMO

Loov absolutely doesn't need to go through waivers until 2017-2018 season

91Kadri91*

Rielly - Hunwick
Gardiner - ______
Percy - Zaitsev
Harrington - Corrado

D4axYzY.gif

91Kadri91*

Oh I really want a better partner for Rielly. If they could get someone that makes sense this offseason please do it. But I think we're probably stuck with that for another season.

I think you're right, unfortunately.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
gardiner rielly
hunwick corrado
percy zaitsev
cowen

^^^ imo defense is so.ething like this to start season baring something crazy happening

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Between scratches and injuries, I can see 4 of above staying with the leafs..
Percy..due for a chance.
Corrado...looking good now
Harrington..definetly worth a shot.
Cowan...gets a shot with Babs..potentially into next season.

Valiev and loov in the AHL

Marencin...don't care, not an NHLer

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
I'd honestly like to keep all those guys except for Marincin. Maybe trade Cowen if he can get a good return with his buyout capspace bonus thingy.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
gardiner rielly
hunwick corrado
percy zaitsev
cowen

^^^ imo defense is so.ething like this to start season baring something crazy happening

if Gardiner and Rielly are together, who plays defense?

no but they need to be separated as they both play better with the puck and the freedom to jump up or pinch... Either they get burned a lot or they aren't playing their true game which holds them back.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

Don't know about Zaitsev and his impact, or what trades may happen, but Marincin-Corrado will likely be the pairing after the trade deadline, will be interested to see how they do. Sheltered minutes for sure, they may be a pleasant surprise.
ps, for all the Marincin haters, probably not fans of Gardiner either and want to re-sign Polak? :sarcasm:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Staying - Leafs
Victor Loov (23)

Staying - Marlies

Traded
Jared Cowen (25)

I agree with this. I don't think this management group are big Percy fans.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Staying - Leafs
Victor Loov (23)

Staying - Marlies

Traded
Jared Cowen (25)

I really like Harrington and Corrado's games. Percy I think will never have an NHL career because he's is one more serious head-injury away from not playing but having said that I think Stuart deserves a fair shot at playing the system with Leafs.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
I am really hoping Percy finally takes a spot. Time is running out on him in Toronto and believe he's a smart defenseman that will carve out a career for himself. I really think we'll regret not giving him a chance.

I think he could learn and excel along side Hunwick like Rielly this year. It appears like 4 spots will be open before next year on the roster. Rielly, Gardiner and Hunwick appear to be the guys staying.

Corrado I could do without, Marinicin I want gone. I would be highly surprised if the Leafs don't sign a vet UFA, perhaps a 1 yr deal. I would say Harrington, Percy, Valiev, Loov and Cowen are those that compete for the 3 remaining spots.

I absolutely love the idea of playing as many kids as possible, it's unrealistic.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Leafs: Three of Corrado, Percy, Harrington or Marincin
Marlies: Loov and Valiev
Traded: The odd one out of that group of four above and Cowen.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It's almost a given that 1-2 of these guys will either be traded, bought out potentially in Cowens case, or lost to waivers.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Well here are the locks:

Rielly
Gardiner
Zaitsev
Hunwick (if we don't trade him)

Let the rest of the defencemen battle it out in training camp and trusts Babcock's judgement. Then Marlies or trade for those that don't make the cut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad