Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
IMG_6589.jpeg

PSG’s record in Champions League since the Qatari takeover is delightful

Reactions: gary69 and luiginb

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
No. Since we're getting that 5th spot they count as qualifying via the league. Would be really funny though if after all the s*** EPL fans talked for the BuLi to be the first league to send 6 teams the CL :laugh:
If the BuLi had 6 teams in the CL... sheesh... that'd be more subsidies to farmers than even the US government pays out. ;)

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I know this isn’t the Transfers thread, but since he’s being discussed I think it’s fair game. To a degree I think it’s fair to question why Madrid would still be pursuing Mbappe. They’re overrated, but they’re getting results consistently enough with Vinicius Junior leading the way. Rodrygo and other players step up when the chips are down as well and I just wonder if Mbappe potentially disrupts the team’s cohesion even if only off the pitch. And sure there’s no transfer fee, but his wages will be astronomical.

Well technically Franco was a colchonero, he couldn’t use Atletico as political weapon against Barca because let’s be honest Real was the better Madrid team

Madrid was his team, plain and simple. Their entire historical success can be traced back to Franco really. That’s subjective to a degree, but the argument is easy to make.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I know this isn’t the Transfers thread, but since he’s being discussed I think it’s fair game. To a degree I think it’s fair to question why Madrid would still be pursuing Mbappe. They’re overrated, but they’re getting results consistently enough with Vinicius Junior leading the way. Rodrygo and other players step up when the chips are down as well and I just wonder if Mbappe potentially disrupts the team’s cohesion even if only off the pitch. And sure there’s no transfer fee, but his wages will be astronomical.

Madrid was his team, plain and simple. Their entire historical success can be traced back to Franco really. That’s subjective to a degree, but the argument is easy to make.
No he used Madrid as s political weapon, nothing more

Reactions: luiginb

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Football is dirtier than ever being backed by states that use slave labor. It's pretty pointless to debate who has the dirtiest history.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
No. Since we're getting that 5th spot they count as qualifying via the league. Would be really funny though if after all the s*** EPL fans talked for the BuLi to be the first league to send 6 teams the CL :laugh:
No, according to kicker the Bundesliga would send 6 teams in that case, but only if Dortmund stay in 5th place. Which could also lead to the weird situation that Frankfurt might intentionally lose against Leipzig on the last match day to ensure Dortmund stay 5th (but obviously only if Eintracht have secured 6th place themselves).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No, according to kicker the Bundesliga would send 6 teams in that case, but only if Dortmund stay in 5th place. Which could also lead to the weird situation that Frankfurt might intentionally lose against Leipzig on the last match day to ensure Dortmund stay 5th (but obviously only if Eintracht have secured 6th place).

Huh, I'll have to re-read about this in the morning. But I thought I checked on UEFA's website before the semis started.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Huh, I'll have to re-read about this in the morning. But I thought I checked on UEFA's website before the semis started.
Apparently the "performance spots" are awarded last. So it's the regular spots first, then the CL winner gets a spot, if he hasn't qualified via the league spots (hence why no 6th place if Dortmund make it to 4th place) and lastly the two best performing leagues are awarded an extra spot.

Reactions: gary69 and cgf

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Man if a German club wins the CL + EL, before Wirtz + Musiala lead the German NT to a medal this summer, we might never see that one poster again :-/
I'm OK with that.

I think any self-respecting neutral fan can't hold a grudge vs most German teams in Europe. Fan owned, amazing culture, lowly spending limits compared to the EPL and the Qataris, etc.

And they balled out this season.

As for the PSG-BVB game... I mean, PSG didn't just fizzle out, they played and they tried. But they didn't "deserve" anything for hitting the woodwork 6x.
Goals are the only things that count, not possession, not xG, not how many times your keeper made a brilliant save, etc.

BVB hung tough when they needed to, gutted it out, scored 2 more goals and went deservedly to the final.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Italy can also send 6 teams to the Champions League and 9 in total to the 3 competitions. If Atalanta wins the Europa League and finishes in the top 6 in the league for example.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
View attachment 866765
PSG’s record in Champions League since the Qatari takeover is delightful
That second leg record is brutal omg

I will tell you this much, there's some people in the capital that start to doubt they need Mbappe too

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

I will tell you this much, there's some people in the capital that start to doubt they need Mbappe too
Well, I do not think we NEED him per se, but anyone who could get a player of that quality should at least entertain the idea.

With Guler not getting many minutes and Endrick coming in in August, it is easier to see why some people think Mbappé is not needed. Add that all of Vini, Rodrygo and Mbappé prefer to play on the left and it becomes even more of a question. Brahim also performed wonderfully all year. Midfield is also stacked and we are rumoured to re-sign both Kroos and Modric.

That being said, I think we will need all the depth we can get considering the expansion of the CL AND of the Clubs World Cup. There should be enough minutes for everybody... and I have not factored in the inevitable injuries. I think, if we want to be able to compete on all fronts, we will need to rotate a lot. Having Valverde and Bellingham play virtually every minute of every game is not the best of ideas.

Now, the biggest hurdle might be incorporating Mbappé into the squad. I do trust Don Carlo to manage egos, but it is still a risk. Luckily, we do have a strong core of veterans in that lockerroom.

At the end of the day, I would not be mad if we decided not to sign Mbappé. The prime opportunity window has passed and we might be better off investing resources somewhere else. Carvajal is becoming older and we will need a proper replacement sooner rather than later. We could use another CB as well. I guess, at the end of day, it all depends on what Mbappé's goals are. If they align with ours, great. If they do not, fair enough.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Apparently the "performance spots" are awarded last. So it's the regular spots first, then the CL winner gets a spot, if he hasn't qualified via the league spots (hence why no 6th place if Dortmund make it to 4th place) and lastly the two best performing leagues are awarded an extra spot.

Yeah. Looks like I read that wrong.

Now there's nothing I'd like more than for BVB to win the CL as the 5th place team in the BuLi, after Frankfurt beats gladbach this weekend to secure 6th, leading to a final match day were Frankfurt needs to lose to Leipzig to ensure Dortmund stay in 5th. :laugh:

0 wins - 0 draws - 5 losses against BuLi clubs in the knockout stages :yo:

• Haha
Reactions: gary69

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad