Prospect Info: Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #7

Prospect Ranking #7

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Durzi really should not have been in the top 5. Korshkov and Bracco both make more sense there.

19yr old OHL Scoring (regular season and playoffs)

W J.Bracco 1.38ppg
D S.Durzi 1.28ppg

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

W J.Bracco 1.38ppg
D S.Durzi 1.28ppg
wasn't Durzi's NHLe really high relative to his draft class? yeah he was an overage player, but still. That offensive upside is pretty nice

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
His coach called his playmaking 'elite'. When promoted above the Marlies 4th line, he was PPG, and even so, produced better numbers overall at 21 than, say, Tyler Bozak at 23, who wasnt' stuck on the 4th line when a Marlie. No one produces when stuck on a 4th line, Not Bracco, not Brooks, who likewise produced when promoted. Also, neither Nylander or Marner produced much when they were sent to Babcok's 4th line doghouse.

Sure. As I said, he's going to get a bigger role next year, so things could change quickly for him.

But you don't get extra credit for things you haven't done. Brooks would have done a lot better if he played with Johnsson and Grundstrom all year, but he we don't evaluate him as if he did.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
Engvall, guy took MAJOR strides last year on NA ice. He should not be overlooked. Usually I’d put Korshkov here but with his injuries i’ve become a bit concered with his development.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Sure. As I said, he's going to get a bigger role next year, so things could change quickly for him.

But you don't get extra credit for things you haven't done. Brooks would have done a lot better if he played with Johnsson and Grundstrom all year, but he we don't evaluate him as if he did.

Which is why Bracco doesn't finish #2 or #3 in the voting. He got #6 because of how we view what he was able to accomplish as an AHL rookie with the opportunity he was given and his apparent potential. This is after all a 'prospect' ranking poll. Not a 'veteran' ranking poll.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Inquiry coming from genuine ignorance; what's the fascination with Korshcov? I've seen the WJ highlights, and I see the size, but he's done nothing since to justify taking him where he was taken, especially as an overager. Rosen has grown since he came here, after developing really well in Sweden. He's trending up. Korshcov seems stagnant to me.

By all means, tell me why I'm wrong. I'd love to be excited for a big skilled winger.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
Inquiry coming from genuine ignorance; what's the fascination with Korshcov? I've seen the WJ highlights, and I see the size, but he's done nothing since to justify taking him where he was taken, especially as an overager. Rosen has grown since he came here, after developing really well in Sweden. He's trending up. Korshcov seems stagnant to me.

By all means, tell me why I'm wrong. I'd love to be excited for a big skilled winger.

I don’t think you are wrong at all. Although, we have a few dman in the system I am far more excited about than Rosen. T-Lilly, Borgy, Sandin, Durzi. Unless you just mean AHL guys. Then scratch the last two.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

W J.Bracco 1.38ppg
D S.Durzi 1.28ppg

I think context is important here. While Durzi's numbers were good, Bracco was a 1.88 with the Rangers on a top line role and would very likely have finished with over 100pts. His overall numbers came down when he was put on a checking line for the Spitfires.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
the continued fascination with Bracco is so weird to me.

a one diminsional skill player who doesn't score.

You must have really hated Bozak then. And I guess on your ideal team there are only puck hogs and absolutely no playmakers, Especially not 'elite' ones like Bracco (don't blame me for that term for his talent, I'm only quoting Bracco's Calder Cup winning coach.) or you know, like Nylander or Marner.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
What? Korshkov should be before Bracco & Durzi Imo. All solid prospects but I think Korsh could probably step into the NHL.

As what? A 4th line checker? He can barely pick up 0.5 ppg on his team in the KHL, routinely out performed performace wise on that team by the likes of AHL castoffs and players who are max 20 pt NHL bubble players. IMHO, even Engvall has moved ahead of him on the depth chart.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Andreas Johnsson was the best forward in the CalderCup run and we voted him in already. The best Dman over the same stretch was Calle Rosen, IMO. Time to vote for Rosen.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
wasn't Durzi's NHLe really high relative to his draft class? yeah he was an overage player, but still. That offensive upside is pretty nice
It had no age regression, and when age regression is applied at the junior level to junior numbers it makes a significant difference.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Durzi really should not have been in the top 5. Korshkov and Bracco both make more sense there.

It's a community vote. The majority of people around here disagree.

I think it's easy to see why some really like Durzi over Korshkov and Bracco.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It's a community vote. Whether you agree with it or not is pointless because the majority of people disagree.

Then I guess it is a comment about how the community is misinformed about Durzi's upside (in comparison to Bracco and Korshkov anyways).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think it's easy to see why some really like Durzi over Korshkov and Bracco.

Flashy offensive game from a defenseman... Fools the best of them I guess.

At least it was not a runaway vote. 26% in the top 5 typically means it was not a consensus vote. Only other time that happens is when people are split between picking between guys like Kapanen and Dermott for 2/3 behind Liljegren.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Then I guess it is a comment about how the community is misinformed about Durzi's upside (in comparison to Bracco and Korshkov anyways).

Korshkov hasn't really improved that much. Bracco had a bit of an up and down season. Both have upside but Durzi has the skillset to be just as valuable and with more upside. To be honest, #5 to #8 likely could interchange by mid-next season.

It's not like there's a huge difference between them. They all have middle line/pairing upside.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Korshkov hasn't really improved that much. Bracco had a bit of an up and down season. Both have upside but Durzi has the skillset to be just as valuable and with more upside. To be honest, #5 to #8 likely could interchange by mid-next season.

It's not like there's a huge difference between them. They all have middle line/pairing upside.

I guess. Plus defense vs. winger I guess too.

The main concern with Durzi, and why I did not think he should have even been considered a 2nd round pick, is that he is an offensive defenseman, but does not possess the skating or puck moving ability that would let him become a productive one. He may not even be able to play special teams or key defensive situations either, which could essentially make him like what Connor Carrick is right now. He'll need a few strong leaps over the next few years to be seen as a more valuable player than what Korshkov and Bracco could become (top 9 players; which is not far off from where they are right now).

Personally, I would even put Rasanen and Woll ahead of Durzi. I think Rasanen has similar upside but a higher floor due to how you could adapt his style of play. He may be more raw, but he is also younger and I think it would take less work to refine his game to at least an everyday bottom pairing level player than it would to refine Durzi. Woll requires more work than both because he is a goalie, but I think the upside of being a strong starting goalie exceeds Durzi's, and possibly Rasanen's, overall package.

So I would put Durzi in the 9-11 range probably. Then again, it is based off what I have seen since scouting him last year, and people may see things differently.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Engvall for that between the legs goal from the prospect camp should put him at #1

That was actually the Latvian, Rodrigo Abols who did that. Meanwhile, Brady Ferguson, who scored twice at the camp game and almost got a hat trick, picked up 4pts in 5 games this spring, for some reason has been left of this list entirely. Weird.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad