GDT: Leafs@Blackhawks 8 PM SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Whether they score or not I hope these new lines show some spark and energy all night, if only to keep pressure on Babcock not to revert to the same garbage. This goes double for playing Marner with Kadri and keeping Komarov off this line.
Scoring is not the key tonight. Trust is the key. This line needs to be positive in it's metrics.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner needs the sheltering.
And he is being sheltered.
As Mess, says ... big test coming up.

Babcock is already on record to say Komarov is going to be back with Kadri once the Leafs return home. This is a road thing only to give the top 6 a more offensive punch.

Last year Babcock used Brown with Matthews-Hyman on the road to make the line more defensive without last change, and at home when he could dictate the matchups he used Nylander.

Now he might do this with Marner and Komarov with Mitch on the road with Kadri and at home its Leo, but that will only be the case if Marner has success the next few games.. If that line gets burned the experiment is over, but if that line has success offensively and defensively this is Marner' real opportunity to break and stay in the top 6 forwards and get more TOI/g as a result.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This is a HUGE test for Marner these next 2 games against Hawks and Stars on the road.

To this point Babcock hasn't had a lot of trust in Marner, and felt the need to protect/sheltered him on the 3rd and sometimes 4th lines going against easier competition (QofC) of the opposition. Part of that due to his size, but also in part due to the black holes defensively JVR & Bozak are also.

Now we get to see Marner in a top 6 role with 2-way responsible linemates Marleau and Kadri. Mitch can drive a line offensively so with both Kadri (1 goal 1 assist 2 points in last 22 games) and Marleau struggling at ES 5v5 he is intended to give them a spark offensively while also not himself being a defensive liability and draw the line down at the same time which as Komarov's role and strength.

Today the Kadri line is going to go up against either the Kane line or Toews line tonight, with coach Q having last change and deciding who faces who, and it would be interesting if we see Marner and Kane on the ice at the same time.
Marner wasn't being sheltered, it was the other two. A little guilt by association going on here.

Reactions: DarkKnight

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why should this matter? The Leafs arent playing.

Why are you quote tweeting a random dude anyways?

He's a really good Marlies reporter/blogger. One of the few that do.

If it didn't matter, Dermott would be going to the All-Star game as well.

It might mean that the Leafs expect Soshnikov back very soon and Kapanen will go down to make room.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Unfortunately my guess is that it won't matter how Marner/that line plays, Babcock will go back to status quo

Ya... I'm afraid of that too. Just gotta hope that Marner and the whole line play amazing and force Babcock's hand.

And if they do play amazing and Babcock still goes back to his old lines, then at least it's more clear evidence that Babcock isn't a good coach.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Should be a good game, I hope Marner can spark Kadri because he's been awful offensively. We need a lot more out of him if we want to complete. I've refrained from criticizing Kadri because anytime I do people act like I have a grudge against him. I want him to do well. When he succeeds so does the team but he's been ice cold for almost half the season.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Should be a good game, I hope Marner can spark Kadri because he's been awful offensively. We need a lot more out of him if we want to complete. I've refrained from criticizing Kadri because anytime I do people act like I have a grudge against him. I want him to do well. When he succeeds so does the team but he's been ice cold for almost half the season.

I am hoping Mitch can spark Kadri and Kadri and Marleau can cover for Mitch. You need both to happen.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
People are arguing who's sheltered and who isn't... I say who cares?

The whole point of this is to change things up. Marner has played just fine recently and needs to get minutes. He possibly cannot do any worst than Komarov in the same role. It gives that line some talent and skill to find 2 former 30 goal scorers.

We finally get to see Komarov in a 4th line role, something he has deserved for awhile with Martin sitting out a game after being pretty invisible most games. Komarov has shown that he doesn't push the needle enough.

This line change serves at giving softer minutes to Komarov and help out the fourth line, while giving the Kadri line a much needed boost offensively.

Reactions: Marner

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
People are arguing who's sheltered and who isn't... I say who cares?

The whole point of this is to change things up. Marner has played just fine recently and needs to get minutes. He possibly cannot do any worst than Komarov in the same role. It gives that line some talent and skill to find 2 former 30 goal scorers.

We finally get to see Komarov in a 4th line role, something he has deserved for awhile with Martin sitting out a game after being pretty invisible most games.

This line change serves at giving softer minutes to Komarov and help out the fourth line, while giving the Kadri line a much needed boost offensively.

Sure he can. Leo is much better defensively. That line has been ice cold offensively but Marner can absolutely do a worse job than Leo if that line starts getting scored on while not putting the puck in. I think it's a good swap but let's not undersell Leo's role.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That doesn't make any sense, all three of them were being sheltered.

Agreed.. Marner is a -11 +/- (worst on the team) even sheltered minutes and easier QofC.

That +/- of Marner has his as the 46th worst mark in the entire NHL in fact.

How is the guy with the worst mark suppose to be the one making his linemates better defensively, no question they're also dragging him down at the same time?

So with the promotion now to better defensive linemates they should be able to shelter Marner defensively. However now facing better opposition should make defending even more difficult. If Kadri line is going against and trying to contain Patty Kane, then the possibility that +/- stat takes another hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: HamiltonNHL

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sure he can. Leo is much better defensively. That line has been ice cold offensively but Marner can absolutely do a worse job than Leo if that line starts getting scored on while not putting the puck in. I think it's a good swap but let's not undersell Leo's role.

No, they can't be really that much worse. That line has been putrid offensively and haven't done much defensively. There's noting to suggest Marner can't do better than Komarov because the latter hasn't exactly been doing much outside of PKing. Having someone that can do more than dump and not chase would be good for that line.

I like Komarov but he definitely deserved this 'demotion'. This change might just be the need that rejuvenates their offence, and perhaps ignites Komarov because he's literally been a ghost.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I like Komarov but he definitely deserved this 'demotion'. This change might just be the need that rejuvenates their offense, and perhaps ignites Komarov because he's literally been a ghost.

Komarov did all the dump and chase forechecking and won the puck battle to setingt up Marleau for Leafs goal against Colorado.

Lets hope Marner can do that for Marleau today against the Hawks.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Agreed.. Marner is a -11 +/- (worst on the team) even sheltered minutes and easier QofC.

How is the guy with the worst mark suppose to be the one making his linemates better defensively, no question they're also dragging him down at the same time?

So with the promotion now to better defensive linemates they should be able to shelter Marner defensively. However now facing better opposition should make defending even more difficult. If Kadri line is going against and trying to contain Patty Kane, then the possibility that +/- stat takes another hit.

Reactions: stickty111

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
He's very important to this team's offense, a core piece. He's just not skating as well, IMO. Hoping for a spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad