GDT: Leafs@Blackhawks 8 PM SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Wednesday NHL game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Chicago Blackhawks

Nazem Kadri, Patrick Kane players to watch Wednesday night at the United Center.

Wednesday NHL game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Chicago Blackhawks | Toronto Star

kane_leafs.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x710.jpg

Patrick Kane and the Chicago Blackhawks host the Maple Leafs on Wednesday night. (Rene Johnston / Toronto Star file photo)

By Mark ZwolinskiSports Reporter
Tues., Jan. 23, 2018

UNITED CENTER
FACEOFF:
8 p.m.
TV: Sportsnet
RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN
KEY PLAYERS
Kadri/Kane
Leaf Nazem Kadri will likely draw the checking assignment on Patrick Kane, who leads the Blackhawks in scoring and remains one of the most dangerous offensive players in the NHL. Kadri performed another admirable checking job on Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon in Monday’s loss to the Avalanche, holding the NHL’s second-leading scorer pointless.
NEED TO KNOW
The Blackhawks are last in the Central Division and playoff contention is slipping away. With top goalie Corey Crawford still out indefinitely, reportedly with vertigo, and the offence cold they’re in danger of missing the post-season after nine consecutive appearances — including three Stanley Cups and two more trips to the conference final … The Hawks have lost three in a row and trailed every team in their division by at least seven points heading into Tuesday night’s action. They were also seven points out of a wild-card berth . . . They have scored just six goals in their last five games, four of them losses. In Monday’s 2-0 loss to Tampa, Chicago outshot the powerhouse Lightning 17-5 in the second period and had a four-minute power play but failed to score … Good news on the injury front: forward Artem Anisimov returned Monday after missing 10 games with an upper-body injury.
UP NEXT
Thursday at Dallas Stars, 8:30 p.m.

'We’ll see how it goes': Maple Leafs juggle lines ahead of meeting with Blackhawks
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan
‘We’ll see how it goes’: Maple Leafs juggle lines ahead of meeting with Blackhawks

kad1k.jpg

Jake Gardiner and Nazem Kadri on Jan. 23, 2018 (DAVE ABEL/POSTMEDIA)

line1k.jpg

Komarov, Moore and Kapanen (DAVE ABEL/POSTMEDIA)

Don’t expect Nazem Kadri to try to get fancy with Mitch Marner lining up beside him.
“My job really is simple,” Kadri said on Tuesday following Maple Leafs practice. “I just have to get open and be ready to be a shooting threat and hopefully cash in.
“I’m able to get in open spots and he can do his thing and be elusive on the ice and find the open guy and be the playmaker that he is.”
Putting Marner on Kadri’s right side — and dropping Leo Komarov to the fourth line — was one of several changes made by Leafs coach Mike Babcock during a half-hour practice at the MasterCard Centre.

The Leafs, who play in Chicago against the Blackhawks on Wednesday and will be in Dallas to clash with the Stars on Thursday, remain in a solid playoff position in the Eastern Conference. With 57 points, the Leafs were in third place in the Atlantic Division, 12 points up on the fourth-place Detroit Red Wings, heading into Tuesday night’s slate of games.
Barring a complete collapse by Toronto, they will face the Boston Bruins or the Tampa Bay Lightning in the first round of the playoffs.
Still, there’s concern about the lack of wins in recent weeks. As much as Babcock likes the scoring chances the Leafs have been creating, the cold fact is they’ve won once in their past six games and just six times in their past 18.

Going with a new look among the forward lines was long overdue, though Babcock indicated he will have Kadri and Komarov back together when the team plays at home again, next Wednesday versus the New York Islanders following the all-star break. Kadri, with one goal and one assist in his past 20 games, needs to put points on the scoreboard.
“Anything to try to generate a spark,” Kadri said. “Offensively, we have to switch some things up and hopefully it will work.”
Sent to the Toronto Marlies was Frederik Gauthier, while Kasperi Kapanen was recalled. Kapanen will skate on a line with Komarov and centre Dominic Moore, who will play after sitting nine games in a row as a healthy scratch. For the second time in 2017-18, Matt Martin will be a healthy scratch.

“I’m trying to have more depth,” Babcock said of the changes. “I like Leo there (with Kadri) because he gives Naz a tightening about 10 times a game to keep him in line.
“We’ll see how it goes in Chicago. At home, they’re going to play together anyway. I’m looking to have more balance and more attack, especially on the road, when I don’t have last change. We have to try some (different) things.”
Auston Matthews remained between Zach Hyman and William Nylander, while Tyler Bozak again centred James van Riemsdyk and Connor Brown.

Do the Leafs have to be reminded that the playoff cushion they have is not necessarily a luxury?
“I don’t think anybody in here thinks they are in Comfortville and I don’t think our game indicated that (Monday) night at all,” Babcock said, referring to the 4-2 loss against the visiting Colorado Avalanche.
“I think we played hard and played well, we gave up very little, to say the least, but we didn’t win the game. Now we have to dig in and win one in Chicago.”

Kadri concurred, insisting the Leafs aren’t getting complacent with their spot in the standings. The Bruins were five points ahead of Toronto prior to games on Tuesday, while the Lightning, first in the Atlantic with 67 points, had a 10-point bulge.
“We want to catch the teams in front of us, we are not necessarily looking at the teams behind us,” Kadri said. “Home ice is a definite advantage in the playoffs, so we want to work toward that.
“We know there is always a sense of urgency coming down the stretch in the last couple of months. That’s a sense of motivation because we put ourselves in a spot where we can decide our own destiny.”

Game Day: Maple Leafs at Blackhawks
Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby

Game Day: Maple Leafs at Blackhawks

kane4webb-e1516767292981.jpg

Patrick Kane of the Chicago Blackhawks. (JONATHAN DANIEL/Getty Images)

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS AT CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS
Wednesday, 8 P.M., United Center
TV: Sportsnet RADIO: FAN 590
THE BIG MATCHUP
RW Patrick Kane vs. D Jake Gardiner

Kane is Chicago’s only 20-goal scorer in a puzzling season where the Hawks rank last in their division in offence. He usually does well against the Leafs. Speaking of perplexing, Gardiner has four points his past two games, but as always, his own-zone game is under extra scrutiny.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
Blackhawks down
The Leafs might not get a better chance to end a long slide in the Windy City, without a win since 2003 in their sporadic visits. With goalie Corey Crawford out, the Hawks are treading water at home with a .500 record and were shut out by Tampa Bay on Monday. “That hole’s getting deeper,” coach Joel Quenneville warned after the Bolts blanked them.
Goals in great demand
While Chicago has struggled with just six goals in its past five games, Toronto’s offence has slipped, too. Only twice in its past six have they reached three in a game and other than Auston Matthews getting in gear, there hasn’t been much secondary scoring. Matthews, by the way, had an OT winner against the Hawks at the ACC in October.
Fred sees red
Frederik Andersen is hitting a bump just before the all-star break, giving up six goals on 44 shots over his past two starts. Chicago’s Jeff Glass made 29 stops on Monday against the Bolts. This likely will be Andersen’s last start before the break, with Curtis McElhinney up to play Dallas on Thursday.
Line dancing
The Hawks mixed things up before losing to Tampa Bay, while Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock added Kasperi Kapanen on Tuesday and will move Mitch Marner to Nazem Kadri’s wing in hopes of getting both forwards rolling .
De-stabilized
In its second game without injured Morgan Rielly, the Leafs defence was a lot less cohesive. But look for a big game by Connor Carrick in his home town.
BLACKHAWKS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Brandon Saad Jonathan Toews Anthony Duclair
Patrick Sharp Nick Schmaltz Patrick Kane
Alex DeBrincat Artem Anisimov Ryan Hartman
Tomas Jurco David Kampf Vince Hinostroza
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Duncan Keith Jordan Oesterle
Erik Gustafsson Brent Seabrook
Michal Kempny Connor Murphy
GOALIES
Anton Forsberg
Jeff Glass
SICK BAY
G Corey Crawford
D Michal Rozsival
F Marian Hossa
LEAFS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Zach Hyman Auston Matthews William Nylander
Patrick Marleau Nazem Kadri Mitch Marner
James van Riemsdyk Tyler Bozak Connor Brown
Leo Komarov Dominic Moore Kasperi Kapanen
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Jake Gardiner Ron Hainsey
Travis Dermott Connor Carrick
Andreas Borgman Roman Polak
GOALIES
Frederik Andersen
Curtis McElhinney
SICK BAY
D Morgan Rielly
D Nikita Zaitsev
F Nikita Soshnikov
SPECIAL TEAMS
Power Play
Toronto 20.4% (10th)
Chicago14.8% (29th)
Penalty killing
Toronto 83.8% (3rd)
Chicago 82.5% (10th)

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Chicago has always been a tough game but this season they're 7 points out of a playoff spot and recently have lost 3 in a row. A good opportunity to get back on track tonight.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
As much as Babcock likes the scoring chances the Leafs have been creating, the cold fact is they’ve won once in their past six games and just six times in their past 18.
ewwwww

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Matthews line absolutely dominated the Kane line when we played in the first few games of the season. Hopefully, Matthews can keep up what he was doing against Colorado and have another strong night. Intrigued by Marner-Kadri combo, I think it could look really strong.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Changing the lines to get some guys going is a positive thing rather than sticking with combos that don't work, just because

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It really can get worse.

There's a lot more room to get better and this could run off some bad cold streaks.

So stagnating lines wasn't working and we have 1 regulation win in weeks. I don't think it can get much worse than that, but I guess it can get worse in some aspects.

Replacing Gauthier with Kapanen is a massive upgrade in itself anyway.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
In light of the line changes, for those promoting the theory that Komarov is responsible for Kadri’s slump consider this:

When Kadri was hot to start the season, Leo had 6 points in 20 games.

Over Kadri’s 20 game slump, Leo also has 6 points in those 20 games.

I hope Kadri can get it going with Marner... he’s running out of options.

I’m also hoping that Marner can work on the defensive part of his game with Kadri.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
It really can get worse.

26 goals in their last 13 games.... one of which they scored 8 goals (vs Carolina).

They are basically .500 since Nov 1st.

Could it get worst in the sense of 'they can lose the game'? Sure, of course. But spinning your wheels with the same lineup that has effectively done squat for 2 months isn't the answer either.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It really can get worse.

The risk is that the Bozak contributions go cold.

For all the flack they take, Marleau has 8 points in 20 games to lead his line. I won’t tell you who has 2.

Marner has 16. Bozak 13 and JVR 10 over that time frame.

A change is good but if both units end up going cold, we are not getting the single point in OT

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Are you in favour of keeping the same lines then?
No I like that fact that they are trying to mix it up, but switching it up also comes with people adjusting to play with new people which could have the effect of the lines looking really bad. I think expectations should be tempered in how mixing the lines up could affect our team.

Do I hope that we score 8+ goals? Absolutely.

I think it will. Expecting 4+ goals tonight.

Not just the line changes, but Kap and Moore instead of Martin and Goat is a big upgrade too.
Here is an example of thinking the lineup changes will instantly make our team better. You think our 4th line C and W have such a big impact on a game? I really don't.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I just hope to hell the PP can start getting back on track. Early in the season and last year, they were just so deadly on the PP. Now it seems like it sucks the life right out of them because they can't score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad