GDT: Leafs@Blackhawks 8 PM SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Changing the lines to get some guys going is a positive thing rather than sticking with combos that don't work, just because
We should be seeing what chemistry lies where.
We should also be seeing what we have if/when the UFAs walk.
It's great to bring up Kapanen but you really can't see what they are all about in a limited 4th line role.
So the players we are looking for to replace JVR/Bozak/Komarov/Moore are barely getting a look. Then they are all cold rookies next year.

I want to see Marner with Matthews or Kadri, Nylander at C, Kapanen or Johnsson in a Komarov spot at different points. You have to know.
I don't care about 4 UFAs getting experience who could be gone.
Total combined points from those guys gone = 0. Contribution = the same.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I just hope to hell the PP can start getting back on track. Early in the season and last year, they were just so deadly on the PP. Now it seems like it sucks the life right out of them because they can't score.

coz they keep passing.

but we always have entertaining Chicago games and I doubt this will be any different.
and because it's at 8:00 (#oldlady) i can actually get my workout done before the game (#responsibleadult)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No I like that fact that they are trying to mix it up, but switching it up also comes with people adjusting to play with new people which could have the effect of the lines looking really bad. I think expectations should be tempered in how mixing the lines up could affect our team.

Do I hope that we score 8+ goals? Absolutely.

I think Marner being one of their top 3 offensive forwards, with Matthews and Nylander, can make that much difference on Kadri's line.

the Marleau-Kadri-Komarov line is devoid of creativity, Marner has it in spades. I could see Marner create 5-6 scoring opportunities for his mates.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
We should be seeing what chemistry lies where.
We should also be seeing what we have if/when the UFAs walk.
It's great to bring up Kapanen but you really can't see what they are all about in a limited 4th line role.
So the players we are looking for to replace JVR/Bozak/Komarov/Moore are barely getting a look. Then they are all cold rookies next year.

I want to see Marner with Matthews or Kadri, Nylander at C, Kapanen or Johnsson in a Komarov spot at different points. You have to know.
I don't care about 4 UFAs getting experience who could be gone.
Total combined points from those guys gone = 0. Contribution = the same.

Exactly! This team is a work in progress, not a team that has had line combos that have worked for years. And guys need a shot - like Goat got.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Who’s kidding who, Uncle Leo has been a black hole offensively this year, his stick is where scoring chances go to die. Really interesting to see if Marner has any chemistry on that line, my bet is it fits nicely.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Who’s kidding who, Uncle Leo has been a black hole offensively this year, his stick is where scoring chances go to die. Really interesting to see if Marner has any chemistry on that line, my bet is it fits nicely.

Yes, Marner on that line should give the Leafs 3 scoring lines which requires the opposition to spread out their defensive players. For the past 2 months you only had to shutdown 2 Leafs line because the other 2 were playing defense and nothing but defense.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

This is a HUGE test for Marner these next 2 games against Hawks and Stars on the road.

To this point Babcock hasn't had a lot of trust in Marner, and felt the need to protect/sheltered him on the 3rd and sometimes 4th lines going against easier competition (QofC) of the opposition. Part of that due to his size, but also in part due to the black holes defensively JVR & Bozak are also.

Now we get to see Marner in a top 6 role with 2-way responsible linemates Marleau and Kadri. Mitch can drive a line offensively so with both Kadri (1 goal 1 assist 2 points in last 22 games) and Marleau struggling at ES 5v5 he is intended to give them a spark offensively while also not himself being a defensive liability and draw the line down at the same time which as Komarov's role and strength.

Today the Kadri line is going to go up against either the Kane line or Toews line tonight, with coach Q having last change and deciding who faces who, and it would be interesting if we see Marner and Kane on the ice at the same time.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Whether they score or not I hope these new lines show some spark and energy all night, if only to keep pressure on Babcock not to revert to the same garbage. This goes double for playing Marner with Kadri and keeping Komarov off this line.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This is a HUGE test for Marner these next 2 games against Hawks and Stars on the road.

To this point Babcock hasn't had a lot of trust in Marner, and felt the need to protect/sheltered him on the 3rd and sometimes 4th lines going against easier competition (QofC) of the opposition. Part of that due to his size, but also in part due to the black holes defensively JVR & Bozak are also.

Now we get to see Marner in a top 6 role with 2-way responsible linemates Marleau and Kadri. Mitch can drive a line offensively so with both Kadri (1 goal 1 assist 2 points in last 22 games) and Marleau struggling at ES 5v5 he is intended to give them a spark offensively while also not himself being a defensive liability and draw the line down at the same time which as Komarov's role and strength.

Today the Kadri line is going to go up against either the Kane line or Toews line tonight, with coach Q having last change and deciding who faces who, and it would be interesting if we see Marner and Kane on the ice at the same time.
I honestly don’t think Babs had any trust issues with Marner specifically, moreso that line, his line mates. I don’t think he was “sheltered” necessarily, but that line was no question. Curious how the PP shakes out now.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I honestly don’t think Babs had any trust issues with Marner specifically, moreso that line, his line mates. I don’t think he was “sheltered” necessarily, but that line was no question. Curious how the PP shakes out now.
Marner needs the sheltering.
And he is being sheltered.
As Mess, says ... big test coming up.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Spoiler alert: changing the lines won't make this team instantly better.

Even if you are right, it's been half a season now with roughly the same lines and things aren't working. So does it make more sense to hope they magically start working, or change things up to get a few guys going? Even if a few guys get hot, that impacts everyone, and maybe that's all we need to get out of the funk.

Let's say Kadri starts scoring again, it gives us two scoring lines and maybe the 4th line takes over the game against their bottom 6?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

He's also 20. There is nothing wrong with being sheltered. He's good enough for the NHL but lacks certain skillsets (mainly strength) and is still inconsistent. These things will come with time, but ruining his confidence by throwing him to the wolves is not how you develop players, unless you want to be like the Oilers.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Makes you wonder what the expectation is for the Marner-Marleau line.

I mean, what does success look like?

Is it scoring? Or is it shutdown?

If scoring, the bar is REALLY low for Marner's new line mates. Even Matt Martin has more points than Kadri in this quarter season stretch and Marner has double that of Marleau over the same time frame. So any production out of Marleau/Kadri is great.

If it is a shutdown goal... I'm not sure how he will do there. Sort of setting him up for a fall IMO.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
No the line was sheltered, just like it was before he was the team. Bozak and JVR have been “sheltered” since they came here, it’s not on the kid, sorry. And watch how nothing changes with the Bozak line in terms of matchups, zone starts with Mitch gone.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Depends on the quality of competition they get during the 2 games.
vs. Chicago .. I think scoring.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Even if you are right, it's been half a season now with roughly the same lines and things aren't working. So does it make more sense to hope they magically start working, or change things up to get a few guys going? Even if a few guys get hot, that impacts everyone, and maybe that's all we need to get out of the funk.

Let's say Kadri starts scoring again, it gives us two scoring lines and maybe the 4th line takes over the game against their bottom 6?
I don't disagree, I'm just challenging a lot of people's perception that the line combinations is all that is causing this teams struggles. I don't expect a massive blast of offense in the first game following a lineup change.

Makes you wonder what the expectation is for the Marner-Marleau line.

If scoring, the bar is REALLY low for Marner's new line mates. Even Matt Martin has more points than Kadri in this quarter season stretch and Marner has double that of Marleau over the same time frame. So any production out of Marleau/Kadri is great.

If it is a shutdown goal... I'm not sure how he will do there. Sort of setting him up for a fall IMO.
Actually Marner is pretty average defensively IMO, so I think he should do fine. Playing with JVR and Bozak for a while will make anybody look like they are a defensive liability.

Reactions: stickty111

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I was going to post that I couldn't recall the last time we won in Chicago. Now I know why, lol.

I agree that's a really long time ago like 15 years, I trust Henny's Facts but I had to do a double take when I saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad