Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat the Kings - B2B shutouts

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I thought it was the right call. You can’t go at someone with your stick.

True except you can when you're cross checking which is when you have the most strength going at someone with your stick and you seem to be able to do it with impunity 99.9% of the time.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
He's not wrong though.....

If the Leafs would have given the exact same effort and had a plug in net and lost 5-3 and 6-5 in OT the last 2 games, I don't think we would be hearing much praise for anyone right? Any games the Leafs lose seems to be an strike against every facet of the team from most folks here.

I remember coming into this season looking at the stats under Keefe and seeing the Leafs in the top 10 in every category across the board except for one glaring issue.

Solidly below league average goaltending.

It's why I advised the dormers in the goaltending thread to wait and see before being so assertive with their predictions. Dubas may have seen this "gamble" to go with established starters as the no brainer easy choice (with some worries about health of course).
My point is the effort was not there before, not to this extent. That’s just my opinion, and good goaltending certainly helps

Reactions: ToneDog

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Still can't get over Marner's goal. Just so freaking badass

You could see his emotions throughout that play, gets behind the net and falls you could tell he was like "oh ffs" and then when no one came to take the puck hes "alright fine lets make this work" saucers it tape to tape from his ass and then have Tavares not bury it he was like "you gotta be kidding" and then when he skated into that shot and pounded it and his celly was just a "get the f*** in the net already"

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
You could see his emotions throughout that play, gets behind the net and falls you could tell he was like "oh ffs" and then when no one came to take the puck hes "alright fine lets make this work" saucers it tape to tape from his ass and then have Tavares not bury it he was like "you gotta be kidding" and then when he skated into that shot and pounded it and his celly was just a "get the f*** in the net already"

The poise and confidence by him in that sequence was unreal. I forgot who was colour commentating the game but his head nearly exploded after watching that.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I thought it was the right call. You can’t go at someone with your stick.
Most plays chop at eachother. It also looks like Engvalls stick gets caught high by Durzi's causing the head contact. Its also not a hard chop with much intent behind it.

Its a real big reaction given the actual contact. Felt like a 4-2 situation to me.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
My point is the effort was not there before, not to this extent. That’s just my opinion, and good goaltending certainly helps

I think it was there but I think there's a compromise here.....

Actually having faith in your goalkeeping can push any player to push that little bit harder even beyond 100%. The confidence variable is huge not only for your team but the other team as well. We may be seeing that play out right now.

Theres a reason why there were so many Cujo/Potvin Jerseys in the crowd but Campbells failed to fly off the shelves in the same way. Good goalies are good goalies and, despite Campbell putting up ungodly numbers for nearly 2 years after he joined the team, he choked hard in his first full season and in the playoffs and had one of the best team D insulation in the NHL in front of him in both the regualr and post season. He was never my life and for good reason. (I also hated the way he looked smaller than his stats and played even smaller than that)

If the Leafs get the level of goaltending we have been seeing in the playoffs, it will reverberate throughout the lineup and the Leafs just won't win playoff series, they will crush other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00