Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat the Kings - B2B shutouts

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Thanks for your brilliant insight as always

He's not wrong though.....

If the Leafs would have given the exact same effort and had a plug in net and lost 5-3 and 6-5 in OT the last 2 games, I don't think we would be hearing much praise for anyone right? Any games the Leafs lose seems to be an strike against every facet of the team from most folks here.

I remember coming into this season looking at the stats under Keefe and seeing the Leafs in the top 10 in every category across the board except for one glaring issue.

Solidly below league average goaltending.

It's why I advised the dormers in the goaltending thread to wait and see before being so assertive with their predictions. Dubas may have seen this "gamble" to go with established starters as the no brainer easy choice (with some worries about health of course).

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Just remember folks, according to the league this play did not warrant either a penalty or suspension, simply a fine.

If you are wearing a Leaf jersey and your 'victim' dives and sells the acting job only then will a suspension be discussed. Bonus points if the 'victim' is wearing a Bruins jersey.

Poor Engvall paying the Leafs tax from DOPS. The way this league disciplines is really bizarre.

Chief keefe

Sep 27, 2015
Mississauga
My current thoughts...

1. The Big 4 have finally bought in to team defence which has pushed everyone to also buy in
2. Sheldon's systems are unreal when they are actually followed
3. Sammy and Murray are pushing each other and are lights out
4. Our old goalie coach... sucked royally
5. How good will we look when we are healthy?
6. Dubas has a big task on figuring out which peice to bring in at the deadline to not disrupt this but compliment. You don't want to screw this up. Has to be a vet or two who will buy in equally... Kane you want another cup with your fellow American?

This is the best group we have had around AM and MM... Happy times in leaf land

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
My current thoughts...

1. The Big 4 have finally bought in to team defence which has pushed everyone to also buy in
6. Dubas has a big task on figuring out which peice to bring in at the deadline to not disrupt this but compliment. You don't want to screw this up. Has to be a vet or two who will buy in equally... Kane you want another cup with your fellow American?

just wanna point out that i agree our new goalie coach has done well..but seattle has gone from 27th in 21' to 12th so far this season in GAA

seems like it had much more to do with our goalies than goalie coach honestly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief keefe

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
just wanna point out thta i agree our new goalie coach has done well..seattle has gone from 27th in 21' to 12th so far this season in GAA

Agreed. I never had the faith in Campbell, even last November. And Mrazek was an absolute disaster positionally. With Murray or Samsonov, I worry less about a cheapie crippling the team. It’s early, but if this continues, we may be set in goal for a few years.

Reactions: djdev

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The sad reality is that there is no surprise that this hearing is happening, when there should be no hearing.
Im fine if thats the standard, but its not.

Kinda interesting that we lose a player for some time on an illegal and unnecessary hit thats 2 minutes and not a second thought to more. But have a player meeting with the DOPS on an infraction that didnt cause injury, or any missed time, and really didnt look vicious.

just wanna point out thta i agree our new goalie coach has done well..seattle has gone from 27th in 21' to 12th so far this season in GAA

Where i can see praise for the coach is how our current goalies are finding a level they havent in some time. Year over year for the team itself doesnt matter much with how Mraz, Soup ans Källgren have looked this year

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Kinda interesting that we lose a player for some time on an illegal and unnecessary hit thats 2 minutes and not a second thought to more. But have a player meeting with the DOPS on an infraction that didnt cause injury, or any missed time, and really didnt look vicious.
Isn't a meeting automatic on a Match Penalty?

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica

Where i can see praise for the coach is how our current goalies are finding a level they havent in some time. Year over year for the team itself doesnt matter much with how Mraz, Soup ans Källgren have looked this year
im just saying, it was on our goalies and not the goalie coach i believe. i also said the new guy clearly has built something with the new guys which is great.

Reactions: Gallagbi

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
What a fantastic game that was. All the boys played with purpose, Samsonov was solid and we got Brodie back and looking fine.
Oh and Mitch extending his point streak in style.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
My 3

1st Star William Nylander

Will was a weapon out there last night at both ends, gorgeous goal that looked as nonchalant as if he was shooting on a peewee tender. He dominated the boards, centre ice and was solid in defending the goal. A huge nod for his success goes to those other guys and I don't mean Dirty Murr and the boys!.

2nd Star The 2nd pair

Or maybe the 1st pair depending how you look at it. 38 and 37 have become real top 4 NHL Dmen. Somebody last night was saying how solid Lijegren looks, he's also really smooth which makes a nice contrast to the sandpaper and barbed wire Sandin brings with his game. He's not quite a little ball of hate just yet, but he's getting there. Liljegren doesn't rough people up so much as he just pins and neutralizes them when he wants. When they did need help Sammy was there to shut the door.

3rd Star David Kampf

The rest of the boys must be watching David work as hard as he does and saying to themselves I'm not going to let this guy down, if he wasn't so valuable as a centre I think I'd give him some shifts with JT and MM, he's earned it for sure.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Does Dubas get rewarded for his patience with this core? It seems the goaltending was an area of focus to improve the club and so far that is the greatest stealth move of the off-season by all nhl gm's. Goaltending/defense wins in the playoffs and that's where the focus should of been.

Keefe has a great structure with the d men - its working out so far. I would like for us to get another guy in there come deadline. It will help come the playoffs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Could be, but the fact it was a match when it could have easily be a 2 or 4 min with a dive is questionable on its own
I thought it was the right call. You can’t go at someone with your stick.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
My current thoughts...

Couldn't agree more about Keefe's system.

The seamless transition from players in and out of the lineup including the 8-11th dmen stepping in and getting results is a testament to that.

Brodie great job coming back in.

Hopefully Reilly simplifies his game when he returns as well

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
My current thoughts...

Kane is 100% not the answer at the deadline.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Depends who you ask.

A lot of people would say he is.

He certainly wouldn't hurt
We have cap space to either make one move for Kane, or two moves to add depth to the forward group and or the defence.

Do the leafs need more top 6 scoring? I don't think they do. Kane isn't going to be playing in the bottom 6 and you're not going to move any of our current top 6 into the bottom.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
We have cap space to either make one move for Kane, or two moves to add depth to the forward group and or the defence.

Do the leafs need more top 6 scoring? I don't think they do. Kane isn't going to be playing in the bottom 6 and you're not going to move any of our current top 6 into the bottom.
I would argue the Leafs do indeed need more top 6 scoring.

Losing 2-1, losing in OT searching for someone to score the big goal leads me to believe Kane would be perfect.

I am not sold Knies will jump into top 6 but if he can be physical and help out in bottom 6 then that would fill the bottom 6.

All that being said, I really doubt it is going to happen and your scenario is far more likely to become reality

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Anyone else notice the reactions of Nylander, Marner, and Matthews after they scored? These arent kids anymore, they're grown men :sarcasm:. But in all seriousness, they act more like "we have business to take care of".

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't think another big ticket forward is the answer.

I'd rather fill out the lineup with some cheaper gritty secondary pieces then take a gamble on Kane.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Couldn't agree more about Keefe's system.

The seamless transition from players in and out of the lineup including the 8-11th dmen stepping in and getting results is a testament to that.

Brodie great job coming back in.

Hopefully Reilly simplifies his game when he returns as well
Keefe's system works with big goalies that stay in position. Mrazek was the complete opposite of what we needed and Campbell is just a shaky personality. Both our guys now are big and steady, perfect fits.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00