Pre-Game Talk: Leafs at Flyers Nov 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The girl he's with, is wearing a Stanley Cup costume. The man, is a Maple Leafs player. That's an old Picture, seen it years ago.

Pretty easy to see the joke based on caption. It's a shot at the Leafs, who they're saying will never win a cup.

Get it?

"He's never going home with her"
I didn't realize she was wearing a costume.
Thought it was just a girl in a dress balancing a bowl on her head.

Get it now.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
In the last 11 games Barrie has put up 0-1-1 points and is a -9 +/- while Holl is 0-3-3 points & +2.

Barrie is a -6 on the season and that is worst among all Leafs Dmen who are all or better except part time player Maricin -1 in 6 games.

At ES Barrie has been the weakest among Dmen.

+/- is a terrible stat and Holl is getting far easier matchups and usage

I'm not thrilled with Barrie's play this season but he's still better than Holl

The forward lines look good, D is thin but hopefully the forward group can look after them a bit (highly unlikely unfortunately)

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
And with Montreal's win over Vegas, they pass in the standings again. This is getting ****ing embarassing, when you compare our rosters side by side we should be leagues above them.

They compete harder than we do unfortunately.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I think if we start on time and finish strong and give it 100% and keep it out of our net and cycle low , and stay out of the box and play a 200 ft game and take the man and stay in front of the play and defend well and have good specialty teams and forecheck hard and be defensively aware and our goaltending comes up big and steals a game and our transition game is good and we are Gud pros and we play tough and if we stay on our toes and play fast and skilled and we did our homework and we take their fans out of the game and we protect the puck and are aggressive in all areas of the ice we might come out with a win , but we will have to wait and see

Only if we eat right.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's an extreme example, but it's a perfect example of why they play 82 games and not quit after November ends.

The players contractually can’t quit, but we can look at them objectively and if they’re not in a playoff spot by the end of Nov they probably won’t make it, if they are battling 3 teams from the Atlantic and 2 or 3 from the Metro

I fully expected them to be in this position, so I won’t be surprised either way.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Ok, kinda old and overused joke now. Second he's not even the captain.

I never saw any pics of JT for Halloween which is interesting. Did he not participate in the team bonding event?

The guy's a father and probably trying to get in as much time as possible with his kid.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
No no no no no no no no no
N O spells no
No no no Marincin on second unit
NO

Dermott practically just returning from injury probably complicates things. Otherwise, the pairings might shake out as:

Rielly-Ceci
Dermott-Barrie
Marincin-Holl

Distribution of minutes and pairings don't always perfectly line up anyhow. Sounds like Muzzin being out of the lineup will be brief as well.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia

I am sorry, but we are not going anywhere like this. You might not believe me, but I can tell and I hope this doesn't age well, but Marner does not have the will to win. That is why he took the greedy contract and why would he? He already has an amazing apartment, wonderful girlfriend. He just needs to stay injury free and he and his whole family are set for life.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

I am sorry, but we are not going anywhere like this. You might not believe me, but I can tell and I hope this doesn't age well, but Marner does not have the will to win. That is why he took the greedy contract and why would he? He already has an amazing apartment, wonderful girlfriend. He just needs to stay injury free and he and his whole family are set for life.

It's a Halloween photo. The blue collar workhorse Hyman still makes over two million a year. They all make ludicrous amounts of money.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

He can suffer a career ending injury tomorrow and still wind up with like 70+ mill in career earnings. He's already set for life.

People were seriously ripping into him on that twitter thread though.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Wtf is Hyman and his significant other supposed to be
scooby-doo-gang.jpg

Hyman and his girlfriend are Shaggy Rogers and Velma Dinkley . They are second rate characters who play the supporting role to the main "cool" characters Fred Jones and Daphne Blake (Marner and his girlfriend). Most of the time used for comedic relief in the show. All of this makes me really mad and confirms that Marner is so full of himself. On the other hand much respect to Hyman - he is a true man!

BIG EDIT: Pff, sorry guys! In my anger that Hyman was used I seem to have imagined things. They seem to be other people and not Shaggy and Velma. My bad!

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I really wanted Spezza to do well but it's clear he's no longer an NHLer
He always also on the slower side but now he seems really slow

Reactions: Polaris1010

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I really wanted Spezza to do well but it's clear he's no longer an NHLer
He always also on the slower side but now he seems really slow

I don't think he's done worse than Shore. I'm guessing they keep swapping through the season. Well or until Hyman is back.

Reactions: MyBudJT

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Hoping to see the powerplay a few more times against a historically undisciplined Philadelphia team. I thought McFarland was on the right track going back to last year's set up, as this year's set up has been nowhere near as effective at generating shot attempts & xG. Obviously the entries have been awful this season, but even the in-zone set up should improve drastically with Marner back in his playmaking niche, and Matthews with his catch & release on the left. Nylander as a right handed, one-timer threat in the bumper spot with Marner on the right will be and interesting change from Kadri last season as well.

That aside...we've had fun games against Philadelphia in the last few seasons. Went 2-0-1 last year with a 17-11 score. Remember that Johnsson hatty? That was one of my favourite games of the year. Anyways, I'd rather a bit more of a disciplined, tight game from the boys in this one, but it's a Saturday night, and frankly, I just want them to start November with a win. Better goaltending (hopefully), better defensive depth with Dermott getting up to speed, a better PP, and better EVS performance from the top six are what I'm expecting this month, so I hope to see that against Philadelphia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad