Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
last 80 games
Leafs: 41 wins, 93 points
Montreal: 43 wins, 94 points

It's amazing Babcock is still around with the results he's gotten and continues to get

yes, but Montreal won back to back games on the road in two different time zones. They obviously don’t know Jack.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
moneypuck is giving the Leafs a 41% chance to make the playoffs, 37% if they lose this game. It's still early but teams can fall behind so easily and struggle mightily to catch up, especially in a hard division

Yikes! I have no idea how good a source moneypuck is but still, that's pretty scary. On the other hand, I don't see how one game this early in the season could have such a huge impact on the odds so not sure how seriously they should be taken, I'd put the Leafs chances at higher than 41% for sure myself.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yikes! I have no idea how good a source moneypuck is but still, that's pretty scary. On the other hand, I don't see how one game this early in the season could have such a huge impact on the odds so not sure how seriously they should be taken, I'd put the Leafs chances at higher than 41% for sure myself.

It’s never too early to be watching the standings.

I would put the Leafs chances at 50/50. Of the teams currently in the playoffs which ones are likeliest to fall out? As one falls out, who is likeliest to get in, then the next. I would think the Leafs are the second team in behind TB.

Montreal would be the likeliest to fall out, after that I don’t know.

I think it’s probably safe to say 7+ wins in Nov is a must or they don’t make the playoffs

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I guess I can't argue with that.

I would put the Leafs chances at 50/50. Of the teams currently in the playoffs which ones are likeliest to fall out? As one falls out, who is likeliest to get in, then the next. I would think the Leafs are the second team in behind TB.

I'd say higher than 50%. Perhaps I'm in denial but I just find it so hard to imagine a group with this much talent not getting in. I don't know what number I'd put on it as it's far too complicated an equation but at even money, I'd still bet a fair bit on them getting in and feel pretty happy about getting my money down.

Agree on MTL. Also agree on after that I don't know. :laugh::laugh:

I think it’s probably safe to say 7+ wins in Nov is a must or they don’t make the playoffs

I try to stay away from arbitrary numbers like 7+, that said they do need to get it going soon.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Far too early to worry about the standings or playoff races.
Wait until January.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I guess I can't argue with that.

I'd say higher than 50%. Perhaps I'm in denial but I just find it so hard to imagine a group with this much talent not getting in. I don't know what number I'd put on it as it's far too complicated an equation but at even money, I'd still bet a fair bit on them getting in and feel pretty happy about getting my money down.

Agree on MTL. Also agree on after that I don't know. :laugh::laugh:

I try to stay away from arbitrary numbers like 7+, that said they do need to get it going soon.

The problem is the teams they are battling have just as good or better talent. Outside the top 3 players on every team there’s just a bunch of guys that all do the same thing.

If they go under 500 in November, they seem like type that would just pack it in.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I hope Leafs fans (the chronic complainers) acknowledge the Flyers will be playing a back to back against the well rested Leafs. See the Leafs aren't the only team that plays back to back games.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Far too early to worry about the standings or playoff races.
Wait until January.

I guess it's up to each individual to decide what to worry or not worry about. Making the playoffs is far from a certainty so it seems like a worthy topic to me.

The problem is the teams they are battling have just as good or better talent. Outside the top 3 players on every team there’s just a bunch of guys that all do the same thing.

If they go under 500 in November, they seem like type that would just pack it in.

Maybe you're right. I'm not even sure how talented we are compared to other teams any more and regardless of that, just talent isn't enough. We'll see.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

Did you notice St Louis last year?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I guess it's up to each individual to decide what to worry or not worry about. Making the playoffs is far from a certainty so it seems like a worthy topic to me.

Maybe you're right. I'm not even sure how talented we are compared to other teams any more and regardless of that, just talent isn't enough. We'll see.

For sure making the playoffs based on how they've been playing so far is something to discuss.
Just meant that the standings aren't really a good indicator yet with so few games played. It can be a little skewed and will even out after more games are played.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
For sure making the playoffs based on how they've been playing so far is something to discuss.
Just meant that the standings aren't really a good indicator yet with so few games played. It can be a little skewed and will even out after more games are played.

I've watched every game and I don't think the standings are "skewed" at all, at least not as far as the Leafs are concerned. We have been pretty consistently unimpressive and don't look like a playoff team at this point.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I've watched every game and I don't think the standings are "skewed" at all, at least not as far as the Leafs are concerned. We have been pretty consistently unimpressive and don't look like a playoff team at this point.
Meant skewed as in unbalanced.
Teams haven't played similar opponents, road trips, back to backs.
Agreed Leafs have been unimpressive so far.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Do you expect them to continue to play at their current level or do you expect we'll see a change in their playing level?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Meant skewed as in unbalanced.
Teams haven't played similar opponents, road trips, back to backs.
Agreed Leafs have been unimpressive so far.

Got it. Yes you're right, while the Leafs record is a completely fair indication of their play, that may not be the case for other teams.

Do you expect them to continue to play at their current level or do you expect we'll see a change in their playing level?

I honestly don't know what to expect. They just seem completely uninspired most nights so I see no reason to expect better. I hope they flip a switch or something, find some inspiration from somewhere but I'm certainly not counting on it and honestly, I think it would be pretty naive for anyone to do so.

Another issue is that they could up their playing level and still miss the playoffs, the East seem to be much tougher this year then last. Much tougher!

Reactions: ACC1224

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Got it. Yes you're right, while the Leafs record is a completely fair indication of their play, that may not be the case for other teams.

Leafs are 10th. points percentage in the East, that levels out the disparity for games played.
Disregarding games they're 9th. in points.

I honestly don't know what to expect. They just seem completely uninspired most nights so I see no reason to expect better. I hope they flip a switch or something, find some inspiration from somewhere but I'm certainly not counting on it and honestly, I think it would be pretty naive for anyone to do so.

Another issue is that they could up their playing level and still miss the playoffs, the East seem to be much tougher this year then last. Much tougher!

Uninspired, probably summarizes their play, however I thought they looked invested against the Caps the other night. Self inflicted loss.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Leafs are 10th. points percentage in the East, that levels out the disparity for games played.
Disregarding games they're 9th. in points.

Uninspired, probably summarizes their play, however I thought they looked invested against the Caps the other night. Self inflicted loss.

Yeah PTS% takes care of games played, there are other potential factors though. We've probably had more back to back games than other teams, there's also number of home vs away games, toughness of schedule and a bunch of other factors as well to consider.

They look pretty good at times but sustaining it for any length of time seems to be unbelievably tough for no apparent reason. And when you consider that this has been going on for about 10 months now, it's tough to be optimistic. I still am but I'm not sure how justified it is at this point.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
As I remember Buffalo was in 1st place in NHL last year around this time. and I think St Louis was near the bottom. and we can all remember how things turned out.
The Leafs will be fine. They may run a 5 game win steak now. But they are closer to having the right team than last year. I think still a couple heavy pieces away both upfront and on D but heading in right direction on personnel.

Reactions: Teeder Keon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad