Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Cade Webber || Signed to ELC (now official)

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
It's a 6th rounder... it's definitely a good idea to use the pick to acquire a prospect you like rather than play roulette at the draft table.
Its a guy he wanted and would have had to pay to sign. Lets dump all our firsts and seconds but then crud ourselves when a 6th (who will never play for us) gets thrown out.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I was wondering about any precedent for a guy with his production at 22 in the NCAA making it- unfortunately quant hockey cuts off at 1000 names and that's at 9 points.

What we interesting was down in that range I didn't notice many "tweener" type depth D- Davis Drewiske was the only one the popped out. Edit- Using EP to expand the search there's also Megna and Witkowski

There were 3 names that were notable though- Josh Manson, Nick Seeler, Kevan Miller. Holl and Mike Kesselring also failed to put up numbers in school.

Last edited:
Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I was wondering about any precedent for a guy with his production at 22 in the NCAA making it- unfortunately quant hockey cuts off at 1000 names and that's at 9 points.

What we interesting was down in that range I didn't notice many "tweener" type depth D- Davis Drewiske was the only one the popped out. Edit- Using EP to expand the search there's also Megna and Witkowski

There were 3 names that were notable though- Josh Manson, Nick Seeler, Kevan Miller. Holl and Mike Kesselring also failed to put up numbers in school.
Yeah, we'll have to see.

But I do think for his development, he should be with the big team rather than the Marlies for this year.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I doubt he plays for production. Let's face it, if he makes it, it's physicality. Tre is trying to change the weak culture.

Reactions: arso40

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I’ll bet a dollar those two are a pairing to start the year in the A next season.
1711412989971.png
The legend begins....

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd expect he'll follow Holls development path, a couple years in the AHL before anything else. He's likely a multi year project if he signs

I would guess they are trying to build a Hal Gill for sometime down the road... like you said, he's not going to solve any problems in the near future, but I could see the Leafs signing Joel Edmudson to 2 years and then in 2 years time he's a darkhorse for a job so the Leafs don't have to pay an extra price in 2026 or something when he's 24-25 and ready to rock n roll.

Reactions: Menzinger

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'd expect he'll follow Holls development path, a couple years in the AHL before anything else. He's likely a multi year project if he signs
I could see this, including the ECHL for a year. The AHL is not an ideal league to develop offensive skills that weren't there before. Holl scored 1 goal his last year of college and then 6 with Indy so it seems like a stepping stone season. If Webber's defense gets him into the AHL early that's fine too but no need to to rush him.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Was Webber really worth a sixth round pick?

I'm not convinced he was. Even if it was a fair price I'd still rather they drafted their own player. At minimal all this talk about him signing here wouldn't even be a subject of discussion.

I'm sure Webber is good prospect.

The problem is the Leafs are supposed to be in "win-now" mode. The deadline is when you trade for ringers. Good players who maximize your chances at winning the cup.

That ain't Webber.

Which makes this a bad trade. The wrong guy at the wrong time for the wrong reasons. Wasting a sixth round pick in a contention year on someone who might never play for the team is never the smart choice.

Another master class in asset management, Toronto Maple Leafs style.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I'm not convinced he was. Even if it was a fair price I'd still rather they drafted their own player. At minimal all this talk about him signing here wouldn't even be a subject of discussion.

The problem is the Leafs are supposed to be in "win-now" mode. The deadline is when you trade for ringers. Good players who maximize your chances at winning the cup.

That ain't Webber.

Which makes this a bad trade. The wrong guy at the wrong time for the wrong reasons. Wasting a sixth round pick in a contention year on someone who might never play for the team is never the smart choice.

What the **** did I just read?

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

That ain't Webber.

6th round picks are nothing. The likelihood of landing an NHL player from the 6th round is like 2%.

If they draft their own player from the 6th round, it will likely take him 5-6 yrs of development before he's making an NHL club. How does that help the Leafs in the near future while we are in our window?

By doing this, we get a player that is already developed and maybe the scouting staff thinks he's close to being able to help them. We were able to trade for Hyman in a similar situation. That worked out pretty damn well, didn't it?

Have you even watched this kid to say that this is a bad trade?

NJG

Jun 27, 2015

That ain't Webber.

How would you know if he was worth it? You've never heard anything about him or even knew who he was before the trade and have never seen him play. So how exactly do you think he was worth it or not?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Have you even watched this kid to say that this is a bad trade

Like I said, he was the wrong guy at the wrong time for the wrong reasons.

This should have been a trade to take place in the offseason. For a team that's in win-now mode this trade does nothing to help them win now. They have their priorities mixed up and that's what makes it a bad trade.

Has nothing to do with Webber himself who I'm sure is a good prospect.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Like I said, he was the wrong guy at the wrong time for the wrong reasons.

This should have been a trade to take place in the offseason. For a team that's in win-now mode this trade does nothing to help them win now. They have their priorities mixed up and that's what makes it a bad trade.

Has nothing to do with Webber himself who I'm sure is a good prospect.
I hope you realize this makes literally no sense lol

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I hope you realize this makes literally no sense lol

If you say so.

I personally think anyone who isn't helping the team win now should be traded for ringers. Good players, like Guentzel, to come in and help the team immediately. You know why Carolina traded for Guentzel and not Webber?

Because they're a real contender who wants to win now.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If you say so.

I personally think anyone who isn't helping the team win now should be traded for ringers. Good players, like Guentzel, to come in and help the team immediately. You know why Carolina traded for Guentzel and not Webber?

Because they're a real contender who wants to win now.
You do realize that GM's can work on more then one thing at a time? Like real life doesn't work like those old EA NHL games where you only get 4 phone calls to make at the deadline lmao

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
You do realize that GM's can work on more then one thing at a time? Like real life doesn't work like those old EA NHL games where you only get 4 phone calls to make at the deadline lmao

Sure, and when the Leafs go out early again this year you can cling on to that excuse like Linus to his security blanket.

Keep telling yourself it's ok they lost again because the future looks so much brighter now that they got Webber in the system.

Go Leafs Go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad