Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Cade Webber || Signed to ELC (now official)

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
If you say so.

I personally think anyone who isn't helping the team win now should be traded for ringers. Good players, like Guentzel, to come in and help the team immediately. You know why Carolina traded for Guentzel and not Webber?

Because they're a real contender who wants to win now.
This is like literally the first time in forever Carolina has gone out and got the best deadline piece lmao. Not the best example.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
This is like literally the first time in forever Carolina has gone out and got the best deadline piece lmao. Not the best example.

So what you're saying is they learned from their mistakes previous deadlines when they went out and got filler pieces at the deadline and didn't win.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Like I said, he was the wrong guy at the wrong time for the wrong reasons.

This should have been a trade to take place in the offseason. For a team that's in win-now mode this trade does nothing to help them win now. They have their priorities mixed up and that's what makes it a bad trade.

Has nothing to do with Webber himself who I'm sure is a good prospect.
You make that trade now so that you can get him signed before he hits the market. Now that his season at BU is done the Leafs can get him signed and playing games for the Marlies and continue his development. They don't make this trade and Carolina offers him to another team before his rights expire.

A 6th round pick is not landing you a real impact player for the playoff run. You're just getting some guy that is going to be like your #8D man or like a Michael Hutchinson type goalie.

Reactions: Frostitute

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Like I said, he was the wrong guy at the wrong time for the wrong reasons.

This should have been a trade to take place in the offseason. For a team that's in win-now mode this trade does nothing to help them win now. They have their priorities mixed up and that's what makes it a bad trade.

Has nothing to do with Webber himself who I'm sure is a good prospect.
This was the right guy at the right time for all the right reasons.

This trade was made at a perfect time, at the TDL. For a team that's in win-now mode this trade does so much to help them extend their window without sacrificing in the now. They have priorities perfectly aligned and thats what makes it a smart trade.

Has so much to do with Webber himself, who is a recent 4th round pick with years of development instead of a 6th round selection that has yet to be made and those unfortunately are unlikely to help, potentially ever.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
If you say so.

I personally think anyone who isn't helping the team win now should be traded for ringers. Good players, like Guentzel, to come in and help the team immediately. You know why Carolina traded for Guentzel and not Webber?

Because they're a real contender who wants to win now.
What did this trade prevent them from doing at the deadline?

Reactions: kb and Frostitute

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I'm surprised it's not a future ELC for Webber. He won't be eligible to play for the Marlies in the AHL playoffs if they qualify.

For the rest of the season he can only play for the Leafs, like Knies when he joined towards the end of last season.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Not sure he'll get much icetime this year with the Marlies, but excited to see him in training camp next year.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'm surprised it's not a future ELC for Webber. He won't be eligible to play for the Marlies in the AHL playoffs if they qualify.

For the rest of the season he can only play for the Leafs, like Knies when he joined towards the end of last season.
Likely due to him having the added leverage of being able to go UFA in August if the Leafs didn't do that for him.

Reactions: Menzinger

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
If he plays a game for the Leafs this season, does that burn a year off his ELC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad