GDT: Leafs(8-6-0) vs Blues(10-3-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
These kind of games are good to show where we are at. This whole week minus the Anaheim game. While SJ cannot score they dominated. We dominated LA for much of the game however the start we had, and then the two penalties we took killed us. Not to mention when we were in our own zone it was a disaster. My thinking has been this; I said before this trip a trade would happen sooner than later if; we lost all or 3-4, defense and team defense further proves that we have no internal option left. I think thus far the point is proven. We do not have anyone that can jump in our lineup and rectify this situation. It is all but certain, I think, that Leivo is traded (with Kapenen playing a montser game, though no points). To me it clear as day. Kap looks bigger, stronger, yet still fast as all hell. In fact I would say he was the best on that line, against the Kings.

At some point you need to cash in on your assets. I get it is "early," but is it really? American Thanksgiving is a week away and stats show (as I said previously), if you arent in a playoff spot you wont get there. We maybe for now but barely 2pts seperate us from 9th. For what it is worth as well, (said before), people suggesting we wait till deadline or the off season must be crazy. Why would we wait? One the deadline maybe too late, for two this is year 1 orf 2 before we have 2 big signings, and this year already we have Nylander to worry about. As well we have Bozak, JVR, Komarov as UFAs. I think we keep one of them MAYBE two.

I did some math a month ago regarding us possibly getting Johnny T or Doughty, and it is actually doable, but barely. I am not doing the breakdow again it took a long time. But right now out of the 2 players who would put us over the top? The quick thought is Doughty, stud D, right shot. Exactly what we need. But if we lose Bozak who fills the role? Nylander? Aaltonenn? At this point I dont see why we seperate Matthews and Nylander, they just have a chemistry that is hard to find. Aaltonenn is probably a 4th line center, so that being said Johnny T. would be a nice prize to take Bozak's spot. Now we would have Matthew, Tavares, Kadri, in our top 9 not bad. My concern with Doughty is in the defense market to get a guy of that caliber is pretty much impossible unless you draft the guy, or pay out the butt in FA. I also think John is more realistic because it has been said he does not like all the issues in Long Island. The arena issues, ownership and such, it is a huge distraction. The best part about these to is they are Canadian, and should be smart enough to see we are close. Doughty said we were missing on the D end to be a contender. He is correct, and he is also a cocky, ego-maniac. So put your mouth where the money is Drew, you are right, and I am sure he thinks getting him would immediately vault us into favorites. So I guess we will see.

Bottom line, especially if we lose tonight, I am calling a trade next week before the long weekend.

Reactions: LDN

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Welcome to the current decade where having your own opinion that doesn't match another posters is not acceptable. Instead of real arguments it's just insults

JVR scores goals, he produces, doesn't mean he doesn't suck more often than not. It's ok to call him garbage when he's garbage and praise him when he's not. I think that should be something people do without ridicule

Instead you get the "where are the _____ haterz now!" personal attacks all over forums. Just using JVR as an example, but this is standard with about every player. This "rub it in their faces!!" culture and obsession with being right - even when both parties are right it's just a game by game basis

What you described is not a personal attack. Calling JVR garbage is a personal attack. Just sayin'. GDT's often degenerate into player assassination. I've stopped contributing anything to GDT's during the game because of the Hyman bashing that happens ad nauseam here. It just ruins the game for me - so I step out. Calling Babcock a POS was popular last season. Again - not something I can stomach or ignore so I step out. Eventually people wanting a fun positive fan experience are gonna stop coming here because of how ridiculous it gets. Just my opinion.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I also want to see Andersen's new mask tonight. Looks amazing (instagram, facebook). Sportsnet reported earlier his first chance to wear it would be against Anaheim, but since he was not wearing it, I have to guess it had not arrived as yet (since sportsnet post said "unveils new mask," but it was not on his person in the photos).

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Agreed. Many here suck the fun out by insults (whether is it is saying "JVR is garbage," or calling someone an idiot). Calling JVR garbage is an insult as well I agree. It is not an opinion. One minute hes is amazing, "oh what a goal." The next, "oh my god he cant defend he is garbage," and so forth. I actually stopped for a couple years coming here because of this reason. I cannot stand the above comments. Wonder why other fan-bases call our fans "the worst." In fact they are wrong, because a real fan does not hop on and off and call a player this and that based on a game, or a week. JVR is a scorer and a good one. He has had a tough go, as with Bozak and Marner. Really none of those guys suck. Bozak is annually top 5-10 in faceoffs, JVR is 25g plus, and Marner is magic. Those same people criticize Hyman and Martin, but fail to criticize Nylander, who for his talent has actually been just as poor as Marner numbers (goals, assists wise). Anyway good post.

Reactions: francis246

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
i think one of my biggest issues/pet peeves with the organization and the fan base is that there is always an excuse as to why we can't be successful. It's always we can't win with player x and player y, then those players move on to new teams and prove that they can be winners. So i do get salty and get upset and say that I will be happy when those players move on and win. I really do think that this team can win with JVR on it, others do not. I felt the same way with Kessel, I think if we got the right pieces we could have won with Kessel. (I still think we would have gotten Matthews had we kept Kessel, we were terrible.) So I was really happy when he was a key contributor to Pittsburgh's cup win. I think JVR if not with the leafs will be a key part of another teams cup run some day.

I've been a JVR fan since his draft all the way to his trade with the leafs.

JvR is not Kessel, sorry. He won't be a key contributor to a cup winner someday. Kessel is a way better player. He can be a key contributor on a bottom feeder, maybe.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Andersen's new mask, for those who have not seen it
Screen-Shot-2017-10-31-at-1.09.04-PM.png

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i think one of my biggest issues/pet peeves with the organization and the fan base is that there is always an excuse as to why we can't be successful. It's always we can't win with player x and player y, then those players move on to new teams and prove that they can be winners. So i do get salty and get upset and say that I will be happy when those players move on and win. I really do think that this team can win with JVR on it, others do not. I felt the same way with Kessel, I think if we got the right pieces we could have won with Kessel. (I still think we would have gotten Matthews had we kept Kessel, we were terrible.) So I was really happy when he was a key contributor to Pittsburgh's cup win. I think JVR if not with the leafs will be a key part of another teams cup run some day.

I've been a JVR fan since his draft all the way to his trade with the leafs.

every organization says the same thing. like literally, every single one. in my estimation it's not always what's on the ice but everything that we don't know. i'm not even going to get into a Kessel debate with this. all i said was I think it's peculiar to want individual players (favourite or not) to win before your team. that's all. you explained it - i still don't get/comprehend it, because for me it's Team First, Player second - it seems like for you that's not the case

i personally don't think JVR is a good fit for the team - to where they want to be/go cost wise. I wouldn't want to give him 8 years on his deal. so unless Lamoriello does something so we can win this year, quite frankly, i am not gonna shed a tear when he goes. I'm not the type of person to go, oh, leivo = JVR (because he doesn't) and I don't think his defensive play makes us better, because we're still down 60 pts. there is something in between JVR (and the the fact that he + Bozak together (or even apart) hemorrhages goals and Leivo - to which it's Lou, Hunter etc's job to find that something in between.

Reactions: francis246

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Agree somewhat. We were rebuilding, and Kessel had a big ticket contract, that had to move for us to make other moves. Without that or the Phaneuf trade we do not have, Zaitsev or money to resign, Brown, Hyman...and this year Nylander. To the the comment of JVR is not Kessel, wrong. Kessel had 70pts playing with Malkin, and having Crosby to boot on the PP. JVR with with Bozak and yes Marner but still neither of those *yet with Marner* are near what Malkin or Crosby provides. Same with Matthews right now. Willie is having a tough go offensively (7pts for him is not the norm), Hyman seems to be slowly figuring out the offense BUT say you were to put two vet big gun wingers...Kucherov and Ovechkin, how many points does Matthews get (ya I know Matthews is a beast already just showing the comparison). You put Matthews with those two players he would have over 100pts not a question.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
i'll never understand this sentiment. it literally makes no sense to me.

You cheer for the jersey not the player, that being said I can understand how Promiseland telling people to cheer for another team can make people react poorly.

I disagreed with him over Bozak and he said the same thing to me. It's childish, we're all here because we like the Leafs, it's not their place to decide who the real fans are.

Reactions: Bullseye

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What you described is not a personal attack. Calling JVR garbage is a personal attack. Just sayin'. GDT's often degenerate into player assassination. I've stopped contributing anything to GDT's during the game because of the Hyman bashing that happens ad nauseam here. It just ruins the game for me - so I step out. Calling Babcock a POS was popular last season. Again - not something I can stomach or ignore so I step out. Eventually people wanting a fun positive fan experience are gonna stop coming here because of how ridiculous it gets. Just my opinion.

Do not confuse player and person as a same thing. If I hire an employee to do a certain job; they may be the nicest person on the planet if they cannot do their job; they will be let go.

so when I say JVR is garbage; I am calling out his play not throwing shit at him because he is does a lot for the community.

everybody gets one shot at life; you want positive fan experience - I want to see wins (if not; at least effort). You accept failures I do not!

we are not living in a Disney world here; criticism is real; effort is real; feelings are real; opportunities are real; accountability is real

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Maybe it is time to have another moratorium on Leafs player attacks in the GDT thread again.

If you want to cheer the players welcome aboard, if you want to trash the players take a hike.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
every organization says the same thing. like literally, every single one. in my estimation it's not always what's on the ice but everything that we don't know. i'm not even going to get into a Kessel debate with this. all i said was I think it's peculiar to want individual players (favourite or not) to win before your team. that's all. you explained it - i still don't get/comprehend it, because for me it's Team First, Player second - it seems like for you that's not the case

i personally don't think JVR is a good fit for the team - to where they want to be/go cost wise. I wouldn't want to give him 8 years on his deal. so unless Lamoriello does something so we can win this year, quite frankly, i am not gonna shed a tear when he goes. I'm not the type of person to go, oh, leivo = JVR (because he doesn't) and I don't think his defensive play makes us better, because we're still down 60 pts. there is something in between JVR (and the the fact that he + Bozak together (or even apart) hemorrhages goals and Leivo - to which it's Lou, Hunter etc's job to find that something in between.
We have enough scoring in Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Kadri/Marleau, what we need is speedy forwards who can play Babcock's system to a tee every night. The guys who force the turnovers (not cause them) and push play forward. This in turn will ease the burden on the D.
Wingers are the last thing to worry about, the easiest to complete (which is why we have an organization full of them and not so much center wise).
They become available all the time, Vegas is able to pull in Marchesault,Haula,Perron,etc. Tampa waives Panik, trades Drouin for D help, they are the finishing pieces.
Establish our 4 Cs moving forward, assess and fix the D, then worry about filling in the sides. Again speedy 200 foot wingers might not score the 30 JVR goals but if they push play positively, contribute timely goals and help reduce our dreadful goals against we will be a much more structured team. That's what we need around Matthews, structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad