Post-Game Talk: Leafs 5 Carolina 2, Happy St. Patrick's Day

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Thanks, I just saw it. Looked accidental to me.

Just saw the Jarnkrok penalty, that was garbage
Accidental or not, any contact to the head of another player should ALWAYS garner a minimum of a 2 minute minor for roughing, no questions asked!!! 4 officials on the ice and no penalty call against 'Pool party' was completely irresponsible and borderline corruption IMHO.

In this example, Acciarri was injured and taken out of the game with an injury. A 5 minute major should have been assessed.

I really believe that if a Leaf had been the perp, a penalty would have been called!!!

As an example, we all saw the mugging of Jarnkrok just inside the Caness blueline, again with contact with his head and neck. No penalty called!!! He then proceeds to go to the net where he is pushed into the Canes goaltender. Only Jarnkrok is issued a penalty on the play. This is NO LONGER referee error, but clearly it is referee corruption in favor of an American based team.

JMHO.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Accidental or not, any contact to the head of another player should ALWAYS garner a minimum of a 2 minute minor for roughing, no questions asked!!! 4 officials on the ice and no penalty call against 'Pool party' was completely irresponsible and borderline corruption IMHO.

In this example, Acciarri was injured and taken out of the game with an injury. A 5 minute major should have been assessed.

I really believe that if a Leaf had been the perp, a penalty would have been called!!!

As an example, we all saw the mugging of Jarnkrok just inside the Caness blueline, again with contact with his head and neck. No penalty called!!! He then proceeds to go to the net where he is pushed into the Canes goaltender. Only Jarnkrok is issued a penalty on the play. This is NO LONGER referee error, but clearly it is referee corruption in favor of an American based team.

JMHO.
The reffing was borderline inept. Nevermind the Acciari hit, which some may say was accidental (careless and still warranted a penalty) but that goalie interference call on Jarnkok was ridiculous. He turned his skates outside of the blue paint and had effectively stopped when he was pushed into the goalie. Like someone said, refs getting ready to shaft the Leafs again in the playoffs.

All in all, a very good game by the Leafs though I didn't like some of the work in our own zone. Too many easy looks and careless giveaways. I'm glad to see Rielly playing alot better than he had been. Also happy to see the hitting that has crept into our game. Playing the Leafs now will include some punishment.

Reactions: Altair

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
I'm glad we were able to keep all forwards under 20 mins (even with the injury) while getting the win

Both are important

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

JMHO.
Definitely should have been a penalty I just don’t think it was deliberate and obviously the refs missed it. Looks like none of the Leafs saw what happened either

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Looked and felt good having Schenn out there yesterday.

Even wth 7 Dman dressed it looked and felt good that Holl wasn't one of them in a BIG WIN.
I wouldn’t get too excited. Holl is locked into the top 6 for the playoffs.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

JMHO.
My jaded self fully agree with the bolded comments you made. I even feel if it was a Leaf it might have been a 5 and a game.

The reffing was borderline inept. Nevermind the Acciari hit, which some may say was accidental (careless and still warranted a penalty) but that goalie interference call on Jarnkok was ridiculous. He turned his skates outside of the blue paint and had effectively stopped when he was pushed into the goalie. Like someone said, refs getting ready to shaft the Leafs again in the playoffs.

All in all, a very good game by the Leafs though I didn't like some of the work in our own zone. Too many easy looks and careless giveaways. I'm glad to see Rielly playing alot better than he had been. Also happy to see the hitting that has crept into our game. Playing the Leafs now will include some punishment.
There was no borderline. It was outright embarrassing.

I said to my wife when Keefe was talking to Pollock before the 2nd period started, if Pollock is saying anything other than "Sheldon, we got a couple wrong there, sorry, we're on it" he is a moron and not capable of officiating at this level. Local boy trying to seem neutral I suppose?

There is a lot of borderline and in the shadows stuff that officials miss, I get that. These two plays were out in the open for all to see with at least one set of officials eyes on them. So, for those two calls (one non-call) to happen is blatant incompetence.

Good on the boys for saying f*** that, we are winning anyway, cause I believe if this was a Leafs loss then these moronic calls would be talked about a lot more.

Looked and felt good having Schenn out there yesterday.

Even wth 7 Dman dressed it looked and felt good that Holl wasn't one of them in a BIG WIN.
I don't know if everyone caught it, but the number of times the guy Schenn was covering/checking ended up on this ice was amazingly high. I caught a lot of plays behind the play or off to the side where he was just laying everyone who came near him out. Absolutely what this teams needs when you have guys like Holl and Liljegren who like to stand next to their checks rather than actually check them.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Haven't seen that said yet, do you have a source?
It hasn't been said. He's wrong. What else is new.
Based on lineups, seems the only locks are Rielly, Brodie, McCabe, and Giordano, with Holl, Liljegren, Schenn, and Gustaffson fighting for the remaining spots.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
So if we got 12 and 6 and Holl is playing which D are sitting? Gustafsson and Schenn? That would be dissapointing since Ottawa will be super physical tonight

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I still prefer this version from the Sundin era:
st._pats.gif

Although the brown hockey pants were a little much.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I wouldn’t get too excited. Holl is locked into the top 6 for the playoffs.
I'm aware. Going to be interesting to see how many of Dubas trade deadline additions on D end up in the pressbox, so Keefe can play Holl.

Rielly --- Brodie
McCabe --- Liljegren
Giordano --- Schenn

Gustafsson --- Holl

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Just watching the game now, that Jarnkrok penalty, wow, what a joke. There's no chance the ref saw it as goalie interference, it was right in front of him.

Also, really wish we could've seen O'Reilly in these jerseys, soooo nice

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander has disappeared since the trade deadline
Exactly. Only six points in six games, despite having the second most shots (and the most missed shots) - what a loser! And who does he think he is blocking 5 shots in 6 games?

Corsi Scoreboard

View attachment 670939

Canes 70, Leafs 36.
And there I was thinking they were going to give the Leafs the 2 points, just because they scored more goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad