Post-Game Talk: Leafs 3 Bruins 2 // Matty gets his 70th and the game winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
By TOI - Rielly, Edmundson, Lilly, McCabe, Benoit and Boosh.

So Lilly recovered from a horrid start to earn trust and minutes down the stretch.

The guy that really lost ground tonight was Benoit. I'd rather not go to Brodie unless we have an injury.

Also - Knies won't last the series if he doesn't protect himself more..
Knies really has a target on his back, eh?
He’s giving his share too.
Loved the 4th line. Dewarrior showing his worth. Third line playing with pace.
Tough one for Lili on the pp goal, going off his skate. Otherwise looking solid.
And official series count of interference into the bench: Boston two, no penalty, Toronto one, penalty.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Yes, we need after the whistle stuff, but it does not have to be a punch to the face, or a slash so the Bruin can dive. Grab his stick, or his collar and get in his face, hell bear-hug him if you want, just no chincy stuff that the refs can call.. cause we all know they will.
That’s what face washes are for… we need more headlocks and face washes after the whistle.

F*** Boston

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
People think Boston is a well oiled machine that doesn't make mistakes. But they had 2 too-many-men penalties, and somehow managed to ice the puck while trying to make a zone entry with 3 minutes left.

People think Toronto can't defend. But they held Boston shotless for like 8 straight minutes in the 3rd period. And didn't even allow serious pressure in the final minutes.

Great game. The Leafs were unquestionably the better team, and I'm glad the score reflected that.

Last edited:

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
People think Boston is a well oiled machine that doesn't make mistakes. But they had 2 too-many-men penalties, and somehow managed to ice the puck while trying to make a zone entry with 3 minutes left.

People think Toronto can't defend. But they held Boston shot less for like 8 straight minutes in the 3rd period. And didn't even allow serious pressure in the final minutes.

Great game. The Leafs were unquestionably the better team, and I'm glad the score reflected that.
They did play a good all around road game.

It'd be nice if they were up by a few more at the end so not every game feels like a heart attack coming on with 3 minutes left.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Not on our team, heck even Boosh was clearing it better. Stop being such a homer with the guy, he was maddening tonight.
I dunno man; he was good. I think that’s just as much bias.
Not perfect, but good.

I think JT and McMann had something brewing. They played off each other well.

I wouldn't mess with the lines until I had to (Nylander return, and even then is just to swap him and Nicky Bobby I think).
JT with McMann and NickRob was a dangerous line.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Good game by the Leafs. I thought Robertson was going to get exposed bad but he exceeded expectations. Got robbed of one but he's getting chances. I would put Marner on the third line with him when Willy gets back. Gives depth scoring and gets Mitch away from harder minutes. Dewar and Reaves should stay on 4th line. Jarnkrok, Holmberg and Kampf fight for the last spots.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Third star goes to Edmundson for hacking at trees with a couple seconds left

That's the stuff that pays off in a long series. It boils my blood thinking about Chara last series vs the Bruins just punching Tavares in the face during a scrum and getting nothing for it. Not to mention all the other crap they got away with.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Trade deadline guys:

Edmundson was good. Simple game, got in lanes. Nice to have d men who take it to the other team on their forecheck . Between him Benoit and McCabe, they quieted the Bruins forecheck by the third. A lot of good support for puck battles behind the Leaf net. Boosh worries me back there though.

Dewar had his best game as a Leaf. He’s smart, fast and has the skill to pick up the puck in dirty areas. Has a low key nasty to him. He steps up in heavy, intense games. That line really has an identity now. Reaves was an absolute beast on the forecheck.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not actually sure that Mitchy reading he has a better chance at out-quicking McAvoy then winning a battle with him is the wrong read.
Skilled Players do that all the time, I've seen Matthews do that same thing many times.
They're anticipating where the puck s going not pulling the chute.

Reactions: torontoblood

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
As they did all year, Boston relied on their goaltender to keep them in the game.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
this is video proof you walk away from Marner when you can

Marner’s not winning a train wreck but he Could have or should have at least hit him a little bit.

Marner is not winning a train wreck in that situation, but he could have or should have hit him a little bit.

It won't work in this series.
I don’t think it will work in any series unless they get gifted penalties like last night.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
It'd be nice if they were up by a few more at the end so not every game feels like a heart attack coming on with 3 minutes left.
We finally got a first period goal.
this is video proof you walk away from Marner when you can

What about the bad pinch by the left D?
I see Marner hustling. I don't want him getting crushed in the corner.

I'm own rentalling him because we need balance to advance in the playoffs. His offence doesn't translate into the post season.

Regardless, he moves jerseys. So he'll be resigned. When Nylander signed for big money, my first thought was they were moving on from Marner. No GM is that gutsy though.

Good Knies backcheck.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Good game by the Leafs. I thought Robertson was going to get exposed bad but he exceeded expectations. Got robbed of one but he's getting chances. I would put Marner on the third line with him when Willy gets back. Gives depth scoring and gets Mitch away from harder minutes. Dewar and Reaves should stay on 4th line. Jarnkrok, Holmberg and Kampf fight for the last spots.
I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad