I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
saw this on twitter absolutely LOVE the passion from Domi and Matthews

GL0G_BtXAAALJiU

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
lol thought today would be a loss, I woke up tripped coming down the stairs lol, got up made a bowl of cereal, put a k cup in forgot my cup, made a mess, could not find my truck keys, of course in my couch haha glad the leafs win
I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you....Okay I might be laughing at you a little bit

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Jack's take on the goal.. Knies picks Benoit which gives me a different perspective.. I felt it was something coached and turned out it was... pure man on man... Pasta's route created a leaf on leaf pick. and he's free.

So that's coaching.. any system that draws your two d to the blueline needs to be changed. That's outstanding video work and then execution from Boston. Has to be cleaned up.

Benoit lined up with Pasta so him skating out with him makes sense. McCabes man is the LW so him skating out to take away his space makes sense since Tavares had the C and had him tied up. Knies did go to the correct guy but Pasta used Knies like a PG uses a C in a pick and roll and Marner just drifted up way too high when he should've stayed in the slot. Defensive zone coverage was fine but communication needs to be better there from Benoit and Knies and awareness needs to be better there from Knies and Marner. Always have to have your eyes on their best goal scorer even if he's not your man.

Reactions: Kurtz and slozo

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Benoit lined up with Pasta so him skating out with him makes sense. McCabes man is the LW so him skating out to take away his space makes sense since Tavares had the C and had him tied up. Knies did go to the correct guy but Pasta used Knies like a PG uses a C in a pick and roll and Marner just drifted up way too high when he should've stayed in the slot. Defensive zone coverage was fine but communication needs to be better there from Benoit and Knies and awareness needs to be better there from Knies and Marner. Always have to have your eyes on their best goal scorer even if he's not your man.
So I feel Toronto needs to get to something zonal there. At least against the Bruins.. No system that brings your D out to the blue feels good to me..

Reactions: egd27

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You don't break up Bert off the top line with how they've played.

Mitch/Tavares just don't have the magic anymore. Tavares played his best when he had the kids on his wings as they had some speed and tenacity.

I'd probably try:

Bert-Matthews-Domi
Nylander-Holmberg-Marner
Knies-Tavares-McMann

Robertson hasn't been too bad but he's the odd man out.

Or drop Marner to the kids' line:

Bert-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
McMann-Holmberg-Marner

Key reason for that is to give Marner easier match ups and try to drive more offense from the depth. At the same time he's a good defensive player that could be quite beneficial for two inexperienced players. You could also flip McMann and Knies
I like the former, but not the latter. The problem with Mitch on the third line is that the "easier match ups" are third liners, who tend to be more physical.

Reactions: Zacman

TopCheeseShotta

Mar 1, 2020
Yep, the refs were pretty good tonight.

Also a lot of good non-calls
The non-call that coulda buried all this goodwill, was that non-whistle when Matty buried the puck under Sammy, and the scramble ensued.. That smelled of the refs being "c'mon..! It'd be funny as hell if the Leafs collapsed again.. let's hold our whistles as long as possible and wait..." Like wtffff... We'd all be singing a different tune right now if that one squeaked out and sent it to OT.

Reactions: egd27

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Thought the Leafs played quite well - had a bend but not break mentality when down early for the hundredth time (which isn't easy to do, professionals or not) - and a couple of the big guns came through ate ket points and throughout the game, and I thought Domi and Bertuzzi were mostly excellent all night. Thought Sammy struggled positionally first 2 periods but somehow got through it, and had a very solid 3rd . . . not his best game, but gutted through it. Marner definitely lacking, nothing terrible, but needs to be better for sure.

A pro win, Much needed mentality shift and they should be much better set mentally at least for game 3 . . . where home ice also brings a crap-tonne of pressure and expectations that can be a heavy lode to bear for those that aren't built for it. Expecting bigger and better things from Rielly, Marner next game!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Max Domi and tyler bertuzzi are showing their worth.

They play with the dial set to 11 (spinal tap reference for the kids).

You need to play like that in the playoffs.

Mariner might need to get a tooth or 2 knocked out. He’ll realize it’s not the end of the world and maybe just maybe he can turn up the dial himself.
The inspiration for the spinal tap quote was Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple, during a concert in Tokyo, asking the sound man "Can I have everything louder than everything else?"

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
So I feel Toronto needs to get to something zonal there. At least against the Bruins.. No system that brings your D out to the blue feels good to me..
Man to man is fine but with that much time left in the period and knowing they had time to draw up a play you have to go like 50/50 with man on man and zone there imo. Attack the puck but the slot should not be left open like that in any case. That's why I said Marner had to be more aware there and stay in the slot because that pass goes right to him if he does. Benoit did the right thing being all over Pasta at the start but he should've pulled off quicker and also went back towards the slot when they got around the top of the circle.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That 2nd goal was deflating but the boys held down the fort and just kept grinding and grinding. Even the Bert disallowed goal didn’t deflat them. They kept at it and grind it out

Reactions: aingefan and ponder

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What Marchand pulled will work in our favor since we took this game, both teams will see that as well as the officials. It was straight up embarrassing for him and the Bruins. Didn't even realize that stupid tick grabbed the wrong leg until just now hahahaha.
Also when refs see that, they got to be embarrassed for calling a penalty on that

Zacman

Dec 14, 2009
Damn, gotta give JE some credit here. Normally he'd be calling Bert a vicious goon for that. And of course we have to endure Simpson chastising Bert for daring to touch Ratley.
It's an old audio clip.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Matthews with the performance you just had to have, and he did it, it was.. just great to watch. So good.

That fourth line is absolutely cooking. Oh my god, where has this just miraculously appeared from? We haven't had a good fourth line in f***ing 30 years. As much as I am in awe of AM tonight and really, the whole team stepped up to the level you need them, the fourth line.. I really am not sure how you exceed expectations more then that line has. And it seems sustainable. Really good.

Would have felt different if the Bruins popped one, but even liked Bush flipping out on the late whack on Sammy late in third there. f*** that, yes, punch him, you don't get to do that. f***ing eh.

And for that matter, bravo Sammy too, and the simple call was Woll, but we are going wherever this goes with Sammy this year guys.

Reactions: Razz

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Can't believe I'm saying this but Boston doesn't seem to have an answer to the Leafs 4th line. Could be the difference in the series.

Diving ain't gonna cut it. I like where this series is headed. The Leafs took a lot of penalties but with a purpose of setibg the tone, and its obvious that the Leafs have the physical advantage.

Reactions: ruaware41
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad