Post-Game Talk: Leafs 3 Bruins 2 // Matty gets his 70th and the game winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Knies has looked great in a couple stints on the 4th line.

Dewar was good tonight. I still think there's more upside if you drop knies down to the 4th line instead of dewar in case willy comes back.
I'm liking Dewar so far. Not a big guy, but he's a fighter and battles hard everytime I see him on the ice. If Marner could be like that more that'd be great.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
It's been working so I don't want to change it, it is just frustrating to see how many plays die on his stick.

He gets in on the forecheck, and I am happy that the line is working... just much like Hyman did, it is frustrating to watch him constantly fan on passes and lose the puck... but he is a net positive and finally spreading out the talent is great.
In his defence a lot of players on our team has this happen to them. I don't think I've seen a team fan on passes more or lose the puck as much when stickhandling or when they are about to shoot.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What a difference a goal makes. This town would have been miserable the next few days. Now I feel like streaking. Nothing better than waking up in the morning after a big win. 3 more

This.

We lost the series in every thread yesterday and now we've won it.

I'm cautiously optimistic, I think we showed between the two games that we can win the series if we play our game, but the series is far from over.

Reactions: leafs in five

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think this is the last year he is a "yo-yo" player

I really believe that by next year he will have worked out his issues of pace and picking his spots to show his skill and will be a super valuable piece. I can see him becoming similar to a Daniel Sprong, someone who plays 12-14 minutes but gives you ~20 goals and ~40 points and maybe more

He's making a solid argument that he shouldn't be the one who comes out which is a good thing.
Absolutely, and with the cap crunch he's a useful guy to keep. He's coming out, but not on merit, next year he's a regular for sure. Great to see him stay healthy and really evolve. He could be a 25 goal guy for us.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
lol thought today would be a loss, I woke up tripped coming down the stairs lol, got up made a bowl of cereal, put a k cup in forgot my cup, made a mess, could not find my truck keys, of course in my couch haha glad the leafs win

Damn bro that was quite a morning you had LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Cleetus

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
In his defence a lot of players on our team has this happen to them. I don't think I've seen a team fan on passes more or lose the puck as much when stickhandling or when they are about to shoot.

Don't disagree, I just think Hyman is a decent comparison. He does a lot right but also will frustrate you a fair bit when he dekes himself out or throws a pass to the opposition.

Like I said, net positive, just frustrating at times.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Second half he settled in and he's the one who won the puck on the wall to close out the win, but for sure he wasn't great. Need more dynamic play for sure.
I know what you're saying, but if Auston didn't win the game and Samsonov didn't come up big when it mattered, we are all talking about another no show from Mitch.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
HUGE win! Team dug deep there, great effort, and we finally got 3 goals in a playoff game :)

Doesn’t seem like McMann will be back for game 3, but Willy might. If so, tough decision on who to take out. I think it’s between Knies, Robertson and Dewar. Dewar probably keeps his spot because PK, so one of the other two I think. Robertson has been quite good, but has a slightly less clear role; Knies has been fine, not as good as Robertson IMO, but has a more clear role.

If taking out Robertson, I’d try:

Bert - AM - Domi
Knies - JT - Willy
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Mitch
Dewar - Kampf - Reavo

While if taking out Knies, I’d try:

Bert - AM - Domi
Willy - JT - Mitch
Robertson - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
Dewar - Kampf - Reavo

Last edited:

NastyKnies

Feb 20, 2010
Canada
twckljbfcysc1.gif

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
If they can find a way to light up swayman and they are forced to go back to ullmark the series is done

Reactions: Kurtz

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Don't disagree, I just think Hyman is a decent comparison. He does a lot right but also will frustrate you a fair bit when he dekes himself out or throws a pass to the opposition.

Like I said, net positive, just frustrating at times.
I think when he becomes a little more selfish around the net and drives the net and tries to score instead of forcing it to Matthews I think he'll be just fine.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm getting sick and tired of the Leafs having at least one penalty where one of their players is given the extra penalty after a scrum. There is no way the Leafs are doing anything extra that the Bruins aren't also doing. Keep this shit even man
The only extra penalty was Bert's vicious lovetap on Marchand, who suffered a temporary fatality (fortunately for them, he resurrected in time for the PP).

I'm glad I didn't have to hear Edwards' call on that - I'm sure it was apoplectic.

The Edmundson penalty probably wouldn't have been called if it wasn't Marchand. We actually had more PPs, and amazingly they got the only two too many men.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The only extra penalty was Bert's vicious lovetap on Marchand, who suffered a temporary fatality (fortunately for them, he resurrected in time for the PP).

I'm glad I didn't have to hear Edwards' call on that - I'm sure it was epileptic.

The Edmundson penalty probably wouldn't have been called if it wasn't Marchand. We actually had more PPs, and amazingly they got the only two too many men.

Yep, the refs were pretty good tonight.

Also a lot of good non-calls

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
What a game by Matthews. Thought Dewar and Jarnkrok deserve a shoutout both of those guys hustled their ass off. Been impressed with Reaves. Need more out of Marner if we’re gonna win this series and I thought Liljegren was brutal tonight, not too encouraged with that. The Benoit-McCabe pairing is gold though

Reactions: Lilou and fancy lad

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Max Domi and tyler bertuzzi are showing their worth.

They play with the dial set to 11 (spinal tap reference for the kids).

You need to play like that in the playoffs.

Mariner might need to get a tooth or 2 knocked out. He’ll realize it’s not the end of the world and maybe just maybe he can turn up the dial himself.

Reactions: Racer88 and Lilou

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Boston fans irritate that this went uncalled. Ignore the fact Marchand grabbed the wrong leg though - so it couldn't have been the tap.

If they called Marchand for embellishment - Jack Edwards might have walked down to the referee himself.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Robertson deserves some love too. There was one play in particular I thought he showed some real maturity. There was a line change coming and instead of the easy dump to give them the puck, he recognized the ice and curled back to hold the puck and let us change. Million miles an hour Robbie is slowly becoming slow it down and do the smart thing. He slots back out when Willie comes in, but he's gaining more and more defensive confidence. And he was robbed too tonight.
Robertson had an excellent game in his limited minutes. That line was very solid all night and played a mature game. Robertson and Jarnkrok generated more in the offensive zone than Marner or even Tavares did at 5v5.

Boston fans irritate that this went uncalled. Ignore the fact Marchand grabbed the wrong leg though - so it couldn't have been the tap.

FYI sound in clip isn't real (for this game), it's an old clip of Edwards presumably being a homer dubbed over the video. Edwards sounds like he has Alzheimer's now and isn't anywhere near as articulate as he is in that video. Embarrassing dive regardless

Reactions: Zacman and arso40

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

Jack's take on the goal.. Knies picks Benoit which gives me a different perspective.. I felt it was something coached and turned out it was... pure man on man... Pasta's route created a leaf on leaf pick. and he's free.

So that's coaching.. any system that draws your two d to the blueline needs to be changed. That's outstanding video work and then execution from Boston. Has to be cleaned up.

Reactions: Kurtz and Zacman

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
If they can find a way to light up swayman and they are forced to go back to ullmark the series is done
My thinking exactly. If you f*** up Swayman then you have messed with the Bruins psyche completely, cause then it doesn't matter who is in net.

"Ullmark, Hallmark, Swayman, Swayboy, I don't care, Leafs in five"
- Auston Matthews

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

If they called Marchand for embellishment - Jack Edwards might have walked down to the referee himself.

Hey when those old that retire don’t hold back

Maybe he’s tired of being told to be a bruins homer :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: PromisedLand

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Absolutely, and with the cap crunch he's a useful guy to keep. He's coming out, but not on merit, next year he's a regular for sure. Great to see him stay healthy and really evolve. He could be a 25 goal guy for us.
Both Robbie and Knies are fearless in the forecheck and in the corner. Which is great to see.

Reactions: DarkKnight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad