Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 5th Rd Pick (#141 OA) - Fedor Gordeev - 6'6" 211lbs LHD - Flint (OHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We all wanted swing for the fences picks before the draft.

So they do it and we still complain. Yes he has zero offense and on paper it looks like a mediocre pick but they're swinging for the fences here.

Try and develop his offensive game, it's not like we're Vancouver with no prospects so we have to draft safe... if he busts then it sucks, but anyone in round 5/6/7 could bust. They must see something we don't, they've met the kid and already know his weaknesses. I'll wait to see if they can get offense out of him...

Not to keep harping on the guy, but usually with a boom/bust type of pick there are clear signs of "boom" potential. Hard to see it with this guy.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Also Mettinen 6'5"

id rate the big D:
Greenway/Rasanen
Rasanen/Greenway

Middelton
Gordeev
Mattinen

they are all obviously far from sure things but skating for Rasanen and greenway really seperates them from thr other 3. I think i lean rasanen above greenway due to it seeming he has at least some offence

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Not to keep harping on the guy, but usually with a boom/bust type of pick there are clear signs of "boom" potential. Hard to see it with this guy.

Yeah I don't get it either. Just from reading up on him, he seemed really unhappy in Flint so maybe they see some upside and try to move him somewhere else in the OHL. Either that or they trust their development staff to turn one of these big guys into a player.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yeah I don't get it either. Just from reading up on him, he seemed really unhappy in Flint so maybe they see some upside and try to move him somewhere else in the OHL. Either that or they trust their development staff to turn one of these big guys into a player.

And that's the thing, just got to hope the Leafs scouts had a good reason to take him.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Picking guys based on height alone is usually not the best strategy...........Hunter basically disappeared after the first round steal.

You basically appeared because we didnt pick your favorite players and you wanted to complain. Sorry but leafs had a good draft.

Nice to see Hunter not trust the fake scouts like "this guy dissappeared" or "disaster picks"

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Picking guys based on height alone is usually not the best strategy...........Hunter basically disappeared after the first round steal.

Yeah, im admittedly not too high on a lot of the guys taken beyond the 2nd round of either of the past two drafts. But with late round picks just got to cross our fingers and hope for the best

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Its fine to not like a pick. Its different to say Hunter dissappeared or we drafted pylons.

Than again maybe some certain posters like complaining to show off like Road Warrior.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
id rate the big D:
Greenway/Rasanen
Rasanen/Greenway

Middelton
Gordeev
Mattinen

they are all obviously far from sure things but skating for Rasanen and greenway really seperates them from thr other 3. I think i lean rasanen above greenway due to it seeming he has at least some offence

Greenway looks OK
Rasanen looks OK

Middleton had a good season playing tough minutes
Could be team captain next year and it sounds like his mobility is pretty good
Not a great puck handler but his points totals went up which is promising

Gordeev has good mobility and it sounds like he was buried behind 3 20 year olds on his team this year so next year could be interesting with more opportunities

Their long term projects so let's give them some time see what we've got

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs lack of size and strength and need to get bigger and stronger is apparent and Leafs management and scouting really set out to correct this with our past 2 drafts.

If some of these big kids work out here, and they do take a little longer to develop generally then we might have some nice future Leaf assets to pull from to fill roster spots.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Greenway looks OK
Rasanen looks OK

Middleton had a good season playing tough minutes
Could be team captain next year and it sounds like his mobility is pretty good
Not a great puck handler but his points totals went up which is promising

Gordeev has good mobility and it sounds like he was buried behind 3 20 year olds on his team this year so next year could be interesting with more opportunities

Their long term projects so let's give them some time see what we've got

Rasanen's scouting reports and #'s i think he is a bit above OK. 0.6PPG uses his body and nothing too egregious about his scouting just learning to move his 6'8" body, i feel like he shot up alot very quickly

edit: Greenway's coach seems to really love him too which is always a good sign

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Rasanen's scouting reports and #'s i think he is a bit above OK. 0.6PPG uses his body and nothing too egregious about his scouting just learning to move his 6'8" body, i feel like he shot up alot very quickly

edit: Greenway's coach seems to really love him too which is always a good sign

Yeah I mean they look like good picks

I think the Middleton and Gordeev picks are underrated as well
I think their hopeing for a Manson type out of those guys if things go well

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yeah I mean they look like good picks

I think the Middleton and Gordeev picks are underrated as well
I think their hopeing for a Manson type out of those guys if things go well

i think Rasanen is a really good bet, im pumped to watch him next yr. all we need is one of these big guys to hit and we are laughing. If 2 or more hit we now have the highest prospect capital possible in trades, Dmen with size everyone is always looking for that.

A small skilled winger needs to make it and stick to have real value, big Dmen just need to look like they will make itand their value is there IMO

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Looks like a good pick to me, there are tons of decent 6-foot dman out there, not many 6'6" guys! well done Hunter.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
i think Rasanen is a really good bet, im pumped to watch him next yr. all we need is one of these big guys to hit and we are laughing. If 2 or more hit we now have the highest prospect capital possible in trades, Dmen with size everyone is always looking for that.

A small skilled winger needs to make it and stick to have real value, big Dmen just need to look like they will make itand their value is there IMO

Yeah it's a pretty solid way to go about the draft

I'm all for taking highly skilled guys early but I'm not adverse to taking longer term projects later on
Having a good mix of players and styles is a solid way to build a team

Drafting centers and defensman is never a bad plan

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If any one of these bucket full of Hagrid size defenders turns into a top-4 NHLer one day it's gunna be huge.

Yes, i think Hunter obviously still sees value in a big hulking shutdown guy who can skate in todays NHL. As you said, all it takes is for one of these guys to be a late bloomer in terms of skating and IQ and they are a gem drafted so late. We draft for skill early (1st couple of rounds) then go for the goalies and complimentary peices later. Most teams drafts are lucky to get two NHL players out of it, so you need hedge your bets on certain style of player each draft.

Gordeev looks like he will be a monster if he puts on even a little man muscle.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016

I didn't know which of your endless negative quotes to pick so I grabbed one of the latest.

First, you post like you have more knowledge about these players and the drafting process than the Leafs brass. Here's the truth...you don't.

Second, Babcock has said many times that he values players who play the game heavy. That doesn't mean he necessarily wants 25 Chara's running around the ice, but that he wants his players to play strong and dominate with puck possession. The applies to everyone from Marner all the way to Polak.

Third, the cost of D-men seems to be going up in this league.

Fourth, rarely do players in later rounds make it to the NHL, let alone have a decent career in lower leagues.

If you combine points 2-4 you can see that the Leafs are hoping that some of these rough stones can be polished and tuned into a diamond. If just one of these guys makes it the NHL and plays with us for more than 5 years then we've done well at this point in the draft.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Obviously Bracco has value He was the best player in the mem cup.

Bracco>>>> Gordeev . Is anyone else disputing this?

That's like saying a steering wheel >>>> brake pedal. To be honest, both these player are lacking in elements that could undermine any positives they bring. Frankly I don't want Bracco trying to get Milan Lucic out of Anderssen's crease. Nor do I expect Gordeev to provide much offense. Frankly the Leafs need solid 5th/6th defensemen way more then they need a Bracco. The 1982-83 Edmonton Oilers had four 100 point forwards, but lost to a more complete Islanders team. You need more then offensive flash to win games. Matthews, Nylander, Marner won't win a Championship on their own, it will take a team with everyone doing their job well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille