Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 4th Rd (Via PIT) Vladislav Kara - 6'2" 187lbs LW\C - Irbis Kazan (MHL)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You're assuming all 15 were unanimous in picking Kara.

How many picks do you think the Leafs have taken where the majority of our scouting department disagrees with Hunter but he has the final say, a few?
Hunter is a very intelligent hockey mind but there were other very intelligent hockey minds that would've taken Shyryvov, Chemelevski, or Minulin there.

My point is, this "But theyre the experts" schtick gets tiring.

Yes, the point should be "but they've actually scouted him!"

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

How many picks do you think the Leafs have taken where the majority of our scouting department disagrees with Hunter but he has the final say, a few?
Hunter is a very intelligent hockey mind but there were other very intelligent hockey minds that would've taken Shyryvov, Chemelevski, or Minulin there.

The Leafs picked a guy you have never heard of, so it must be a bad pick ... smh

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Hunter must know something here like he is projected to be drafted in this years CHL Euro import draft and perhaps be playing in the CHL next year.

This guy seems like a 7th round pick to me, as he wasn't on any scouting report or ranking that I've seen on him.

Wonder what Hunter saw that made him a 4th round pick after being passed over last year undrafted?. :help:

I have no information to suggest anything like this is true, but perhaps there is some similarity to the Martins Dzierkals situation in 2015 where the pick seemed way off the board and out of nowhere, but the Leafs were concerned that another team was about to take him and he wouldn't be available later. (I believe it was Nashville in that case).

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario

Minulin didn't even get drafted and it's probably our European scouts pushing for this prospect.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Looking at Hunter's comments, seems like a typical Leafs pick. Smart, good skater, nice hands, plays two-ways. Additional bonus of having some size.

I guess it looks a lot better now, but I would still prefer for him to be a center to address some of our depth concerns there. Otherwise seems like a poor-man's Grundstrom.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I was reading it's possible he gets drafted to the CHL and joins whoever drafts him. Not sure how legit that is though.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Our scouts must really like him to step up and take him in the 4th. It should be noted that he was on a weak VHL team, which would obviously have a negative impact on him statistically. He seems to have all the tools to be a good skating, power winger.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I was reading it's possible he gets drafted to the CHL and joins whoever drafts him. Not sure how legit that is though.

That would make more comfortable about his development.

There has to be a study out there that says staying in one league with a billet family in a stabilized country is much better for your mental health and development overall.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
That would make more comfortable about his development.

There has to be a study out there that says staying in one league with a billet family in a stabilized country is much better for your mental health and development overall.

gosh this whole draft is project ....way less high end talent than the last few ...why does anyone question the leafs scouting staff anyways ,I think they have done a superb job ,this is the draft to go off the board ,the key is development ,which the leafs do now ,but since when does every pick in every draft have to makr the NHL .
this is kinda ridiculous ,

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He needs to be very very good to make it.

if he every made the NHL what role do you think he would play, i think Hunter said he is a winger so a 3rd line winger? providing alot of development happens in his game

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
LW on a line with Marner

i honestly have no idea if you are joking or not. If he is a good complimentary winger who can finish he could very well end up there, i know nothing about him though

edit: like hyman isnt a 1st line winger he brings something that adds to the 1st line he gets to play there. In no way do i think he has top line upside

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
gosh this whole draft is project ....way less high end talent than the last few ...why does anyone question the leafs scouting staff anyways ,I think they have done a superb job ,this is the draft to go off the board ,the key is development ,which the leafs do now ,but since when does every pick in every draft have to makr the NHL .

I Agree. Even last years later rounds are 3 years away from reaching potential. There are qualities they are looking for in each position, skill is obviously up there, but they throw in size on defense or speed, then a two way game, grit, determination, overcoming adversity, personality, coachability, maybe they played on a bad team, or inferior league, buried behind inferior players, that's why you have boots on the ground, to see these things up close.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
i honestly have no idea if you are joking or not. If he is a good complimentary winger who can finish he could very well end up there, i know nothing about him though

edit: like hyman isnt a 1st line winger he brings something that adds to the 1st line he gets to play there. In no way do i think he has top line upside

I should've prefaced it by saying if he develops very very well. I think Hunter described him as a "two-way winger who's big, strong and has a good shot". Videos seems to show that he has good finish and isnt afraid of going to the dirty areas, so yeah, like Hyman. Not a 1st/2nd line player per say, but could compliment Marner well.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I should've prefaced it by saying if he develops very very well. I think Hunter described him as a "two-way winger who's big, strong and has a good shot". Videos seems to show that he has good finish and isnt afraid of going to the dirty areas, so yeah, like Hyman. Not a 1st/2nd line player per say, but could compliment Marner well.

yep and thats what is great about the big 3 they are all so good we dont need to worry about the opposite wing (for marner) and one winger (for Nylander or Matthews) opposite winger doesnt need to be a 1LW just bring something to compliment our 1RW, 1C or 2C.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
if he every made the NHL what role do you think he would play, i think Hunter said he is a winger so a 3rd line winger? providing alot of development happens in his game

Hard to tell... I don't see enough of the offensive upside for the top-six, although for a 3rd line guy I'd say he needs to be better at D. I kind of had an impression that Hunter&Co went for the raw tools (frame, shot, skating) here hoping that they can develop something good out of it, whatever it might be.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the pick, I didn't have him in my Top70 of Russian draft-available players, but to be fair I didn't follow him too closely this year, as he wasn't on my watchlist for this season, so there is a good probability that I'm wrong. Seen him on Sochi U20 camp game videos and wasn't too impressed (aside from the goal I posted earlier).

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Hard to tell... I don't see enough of the offensive upside for the top-six, although for a 3rd line guy I'd say he needs to be better at D. I kind of had an impression that Hunter&Co went for the raw tools (frame, shot, skating) here hoping that they can develop something good out of it, whatever it might be.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the pick, I didn't have him in my Top70 of Russian draft-available players, but to be fair I didn't follow him too closely this year, as he wasn't on my watchlist for this season, so there is a good probability that I'm wrong. Seen him on Sochi U20 camp game videos and wasn't too impressed (aside from the goal I posted earlier).

Thank you for proving that people who oppose Hunter on an individual pick are not conspiracy theorists or lunatics.

By how much are Shvyrev, Smirnov and Svetlakov better than Kara?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Thank you for proving that people who oppose Hunter on an individual pick are not conspiracy theorists or lunatics.

By how much are Shvyrev, Smirnov and Svetlakov better than Kara?

In my rankings I had Svetlakov at 11, Smirnov at 14, Shvyryov at 23... but again, they are different type of players than Kara, not sure if it's correct to compare them.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario

...What?
That had nothing to do with my comment about his OHL possibilities. I firmly believe that if a player is in a more stable environment they are more likely to succeed.

The comment of mine that you quoted had nothing to do with the Leafs scouting staff or the draft decisions as a whole just about wanting Kara to come over to Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad