Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 4th Rd (Via PIT) Vladislav Kara - 6'2" 187lbs LW\C - Irbis Kazan (MHL)

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
wow Volkov and Kara are nearly identical statistically right down to height and weight its a good sign. Obviously Volkov must be a better skater or something to create that much separation. But I have liked Bobylev since the draft he has done very well he is an exciting pick

What do you see with Bobylev? I've been more impressed with Chebykin (Stats watching at least ;) ).

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What do you see with Bobylev? I've been more impressed with Chebykin (Stats watching at least ;) ).

chebykin was good too, I like him as well. I look at stats and any short vids I can find. I forgot Bobylov's scoring wasn't that great when he went back to Victoria for some reason I though it was better than that

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I see Komarov in Bobylev. Like a Komarov clone almost.

I compare a lot of people to Komarov, but he is the closest comparison to him I have seen yet.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I see Komarov in Bobylev. Like a Komarov clone almost.

I compare a lot of people to Komarov, but he is the closest comparison to him I have seen yet.

Bobylev is a lot more skilled than Komarov and he drops the gloves. Bobylev reminds me of Backes. I would like to see Bobylev on the Marlies next season. I think he may play another season in the W as an overage?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Good read, He seemed excited to be an NHL draftee and motivated to one day become a Leaf.

Is there a good chance he's make Ak Bars kazan full time next year?

In the KHL there is a rule, that, iirc, in the team's line-up for the game there should be at least one U20 player. I think it is pretty likely Kara will be that player for Ak Bars in the coming season. Another thing is that it is a big question if it is better to get more TOI in VHL or mostly sit on the bench in the KHL.

TMLFOREVER**

May 8, 2017
I think its a terrible pick by Hunter. They should have picked a safer pick in that spot instead of Kara.....who will NEVER play for the Marlies, let alone the Leafs.

They could have grabbed him in the 7th round. He was NOT ON ANY LIST.

Does anyone know how many players have regular spots in the NHL that were drafted after the 2nd round? 49! Do you know how my Leafs there are in that 49? NONE

I know some of you are Hunter fanatics. I am not one of them.

The Leafs can save millions in scouting staff and just draft from Central scouting. Had they done that in the last 3 years, the Leafs would currently have 14 players that have NHL experience. Hell, the Leafs should fire all scouts and hire the Central Scouting staff.

Matthews-No Brainer
Marner-No brainer

And, it seems Babcock did most of the scouting that brought in the swedish D men.

For 3 years we have seen Hunter go off the board and get guys he could have gotten in the 6th or 7th round.

Sometimes you have to pick the guy that is BPA at that spot and take a chance that the Dud you want will be available in the 7th round, or sign as an undrafted player.

We all know it takes time to develop players. But when with enough be enough with Hunter? I will give him one more year and if there are still no players outside the 2nd round, then he must go.

Riding Marner's coat tails has gone on long enough.

And with all that said, there was a better pick IN EACH OF HUNTERS 3 YEARS AT EVERY SPOT!

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Does anyone know how many players have regular spots in the NHL that were drafted after the 2nd round? 49! Do you know how my Leafs there are in that 49? NONE

I know some of you are Hunter fanatics. I am not one of them
Best review your Leafs lineup again genius.:shakehead

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I think its a terrible pick by Hunter. They should have picked a safer pick in that spot instead of Kara.....who will NEVER play for the Marlies, let alone the Leafs.

The Leafs can save millions in scouting staff and just draft from Central scouting. Had they done that in the last 3 years, the Leafs would currently have 14 players that have NHL experience. Hell, the Leafs should fire all scouts and hire the Central Scouting staff.

Matthews-No Brainer
Marner-No brainer

And, it seems Babcock did most of the scouting that brought in the swedish D men.

For 3 years we have seen Hunter go off the board and get guys he could have gotten in the 6th or 7th round.

Sometimes you have to pick the guy that is BPA at that spot and take a chance that the Dud you want will be available in the 7th round, or sign as an undrafted player.

We all know it takes time to develop players. But when with enough be enough with Hunter? I will give him one more year and if there are still no players outside the 2nd round, then he must go.

And with all that said, there was a better pick IN EACH OF HUNTERS 3 YEARS AT EVERY SPOT!
Dermott, Bracco, Nielsen, Timashov (2015) Korshkov, Grumdstrom, Woll, Brooks (2016) are all looking like great picks based on the spots they were made and some of the lesser prospects are playing really well too. Even guys like Bobylev and Chebykin are doing well for where they were picked. This year's draft is too early to judge, in fact all of them are to some degree.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Matthews-No Brainer
Marner-No brainer

i dont get this line,

Komarov, 6th rnd pick
Brown , 6th rnd pick
they are regular players to me

if you are just talking about hunter, then that is the epitomy of an overreaction. He has had 2 drafts and you expect 3rd-7th rounders to have made it by now? for example Connor Brown just made it last season 5 years after being drafted

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
i dont get this line,

Komarov, 6th rnd pick
Brown , 6th rnd pick
they are regular players to me

if you are just talking about hunter, then that is the epitomy of an overreaction. He has had 2 drafts and you expect 3rd-7th rounders to have made it by now? for example Connor Brown just made it last season 5 years after being drafted

My interpretation was, who has Hunter got into the NHL with the Leafs after the 1st. round?

None of the players you mention have anything to do with Hunter's Leafs drafting.

You can check here...
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008490.html

Brown was drafted in 2012 ... the most recent non-1st. rounder to make the team.

Valiev's 10 games is the most recent Leafs pick to play some games in the NHL after being drafted outside the 1st.

Much too soon to evaluate Hunter's drafts.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
My interpretation was, who has Hunter got into the NHL with the Leafs after the 1st. round?

None of the players you mention have anything to do with Hunter's Leafs drafting.

You can check here...
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008490.html

Brown was drafted in 2012 ... the most recent non-1st. rounder to make the team.

Valiev's 10 games is the most recent Leafs pick to play some games in the NHL after being drafted outside the 1st.

Much too soon to evaluate Hunter's drafts.

which is exactly my point. Do you beleive that i think Connor Brown at 23 yrs old was drafted in the last 2 years? or that i have been living under rock while he was on the marlies?.

My point was it is too early to judge Hunter eg: look at brown it took him 5 years, i also said this in the post you quoted

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Matthews-No Brainer
Marner-No brainer

There's no question there were more accomplished players available at #124 in the draft. The Kara pick is a real head scratcher especially when Shvyrev was available.

Draft Analyst simply states "he cannot skate", which almost fits a pattern of the leafs taking oversize players beyond the second round who all seem to have similar issues with skating.

My concern here is that the percentage odds of any one of these sluggish guys upgrading their skating to an NHL level is probably below 2%. In other words very remote.

The likelihood for an average skating fourth round pick to play in the NHL is about 10% so from a purely statistical point of view Hunter is taking bigger risks drafting for size in the bottom part of the lineup.

Personally I think they'd be better off always drafting BPA instead of drafting for need as needs will change over time and you can always trade quality prospects.

Hunter is probably using his OHL experience as a guide but there's a difference between evaluating 15 year old bantams and 18 year old junior players who are nearly fully developed and less likely to improve their strength and skating in a major way.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
There's no question there were more accomplished players available at #124 in the draft. The Kara pick is a real head scratcher especially when Shvyrev was available.

Draft Analyst simply states "he cannot skate", which almost fits a pattern of the leafs taking oversize players beyond the second round who all seem to have similar issues with skating.

My concern here is that the percentage odds of any one of these sluggish guys upgrading their skating to an NHL level is probably below 2%. In other words very remote.

The likelihood for an average skating fourth round pick to play in the NHL is about 10% so from a purely statistical point of view Hunter is taking bigger risks drafting for size in the bottom part of the lineup.

Personally I think they'd be better off always drafting BPA instead of drafting for need as needs will change over time and you can always trade quality prospects.

Hunter is probably using his OHL experience as a guide but there's a difference between evaluating 15 year old bantams and 18 year old junior players who are nearly fully developed and less likely to improve their strength and skating in a major way.

you are assuming Hunter is making these picks 100% on his own? there is no way, other scouts would have signed off on this pick. The other scouts arent all former CHL scouts either

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
which is exactly my point. Do you beleive that i think Connor Brown at 23 yrs old was drafted in the last 2 years? or that i have been living under rock while he was on the marlies?.

My point was it is too early to judge Hunter eg: look at brown it took him 5 years, i also said this in the post you quoted

I agree completely.

We don't know if Hunter is good at drafting players for the NHL.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

I know you can get carried away with highlight reels but this kid looks really good. I'll admit, havent paid really any attention to him before but watching that video the guy is big, can skate, has some playmaking ability and can finish.

Could definitely see him playing in the NHL.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I know you can get carried away with highlight reels but this kid looks really good. I'll admit, havent paid really any attention to him before but watching that video the guy is big, can skate, has some playmaking ability and can finish.

Could definitely see him playing in the NHL.

While he may have the size and puck handling scouts say his skating is terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad