Leafs’ first round opponent: Boston (who tanked for us)

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Tampa is hot and Leafs don't have Marner. They will +2 us in the remaining games. We are facing Rangers

Nevermind for some reason I thought bruins were running away with east again. i havent looked at the top in a while. Thought Rangers guaranteed 2nd

Isn’t Marner back tomorrow?

Reactions: ACC1224

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I was thinking more in terms of line matching, especially when they have home ice.

its the same thing i giving you florida game as exemple and people was blaming keefe because he sent the 4th line late in the game against empty...

the 2nd line was totally trash all game long with nylander/tavares being the 2 worst leafs player in that game...You cant send them to close the game...

sending kids line, not really a great idea... what was the option left because you can keep matthews line last 3-4 minute of the ice? send Kampf/ dewar line who had been fantastic all game long was probably the choice but even by doing the right choice, he was criticized because it didn't work but at the end, it was probably the only option he really had.

Sometime you just dont have the choice

Last edited:

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
its the same thing i giving you florida game as exemple and people was blaming keefe because he sent the 4th line late in the game against empty...

the 2nd line was totally trash all game long with nylander/tavares being the 2 worst leafs player in that game...You cant send them to close the game...

sending kids line, not really a great idea... what was the option left because you can keep matthews line last 3-4 minute of the ice? send Kampf/ dewar line who had been fantastic all game long was probably the choice but even by doing the right choice, he was criticized because it didn't work but at the end, it was probably the only option he really had.

Sometime you just dont have the choice
Could he have called a timeout, or had he already used it? If he didn’t have one, then I guess it makes a little more sense.

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Yeah I’m going to need it to be Florida in round 1. The way pundits talk you’d think they beat us 5-0 every game instead of riding a stupidly hot Bobrovsky to 4 extremely close wins. I know there’s a good chunk of this fan base that has PTSD because this team had to lose in the most disappointing way possible after finally winning around but f*** the Panthers. They’re beatable and I’m tired of the disrespect.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yeah I’m going to need it to be Florida in round 1. The way pundits talk you’d think they beat us 5-0 every game instead of riding a stupidly hot Bobrovsky to 4 extremely close wins. I know there’s a good chunk of this fan base that has PTSD because this team had to lose in the most disappointing way possible after finally winning around but f*** the Panthers. They’re beatable and I’m tired of the disrespect.
I could see a Florida series in round 1 and then Tampa in round 2, because I think Tampa will beat Boston. Ideal for the Leafs as they would beat Tampa in a series. The conference final might be a different story, especially if Carolina finally finds a way to play to its potential.

Reactions: 29Potvin

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
It could come down to the last game of the season where Leafs play Florida

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I wonder if in that Panthers game, it came to overtime, the Leafs pull the goalie to stop the Panthers from getting a point and then beat the Lightning in the next game to take home ice advantage. (Also empty net for an extra player to get Matthews’ 70th for extra excitement)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Our Leafs have to lose all 4 games to get a small chance of playing da Bruins and they have to win all 4 games to get a small chance to play da Lighting .. it is a virtual guarantee we are playing da Cats .. win all 4 games and we are da home team .. is it worth it???????????? .. to me I would rather rest Matty and Rielly last 2 games in Florida .. with Sammy I would let him decide what games he wants to play if any .. lets hope Matty gets 4 goals in next 2 games and we put him on ice to rest up

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022

Same here. They won't push us around this year.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I wonder if in that Panthers game, it came to overtime, the Leafs pull the goalie to stop the Panthers from getting a point and then beat the Lightning in the next game to take home ice advantage. (Also empty net for an extra player to get Matthews’ 70th for extra excitement)

No, I think priority should be getting guys rested and ready to go for game 1. Home ice advantage is not that meaningful.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
They are not resting anybody vs Leafs if home ice is on the line.
With how injury-prone some of Florida's guys are, they would be crazy to risk it, especially since Toronto can likely take home ice anyway with a win against Tampa the next night.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
With how injury-prone some of Florida's guys are, they would be crazy to risk it, especially since Toronto can likely take home ice anyway with a win against Tampa the next night.
If they beat the Leafs in regulation next week, they need 1 point in their home games vs CBJ and Buffalo to win home ice. Only way they do not care about that game is if they have home ice clinched going in.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If they beat the Leafs in regulation next week, they need 1 point in their home games vs CBJ and Buffalo to win home ice. Only way they do not care about that game is if they have home ice clinched going in.
My guess is that Toronto and Florida are either tied by the game next week or the Leafs are maybe a point behind. I think the Leafs will win out the rest of the season as they seem to be on cruise control without even putting in much effort.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
My guess is that Toronto and Florida are either tied by the game next week or the Leafs are maybe a point behind. I think the Leafs will win out the rest of the season as they seem to be on cruise control without even putting in much effort.
In which case, Florida will not rest their players with home ice on the line. Even if they lose theor next two and Leafs win their next two, they will be one pint behind the Leafs and IMO they will play hard to beat the Leafs.

Only way I see Panthers rest vs Leafs is if they win they clinch home ice by the weekend and even then I am not so sure.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
In which case, Florida will not rest their players with home ice on the line. Even if they lose theor next two and Leafs win their next two, they will be one pint behind the Leafs and IMO they will play hard to beat the Leafs.

Only way I see Panthers rest vs Leafs is if they win they clinch home ice by the weekend and even then I am not so sure.
If it comes down to that game the Panthers will do their best to stay home and not have to travel while the Leafs will want to force them to leave town.

If the Leafs start in FLA on Saturday, will they travel home after the game Wednesday or stay south?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

The good thing both of these teams is that they could very well also have home ice in the second round as Boston is ripe to get picked off by Tampa.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

This is why AI is not as threatening to mankind as people think. Talk about a complete video game geek first daydream.

The answer is this: Sundin would have to do all the heavy lifting on a line with those two. He would have to be in a defensive posture, he would have to recover pucks, forecheck, screen the goalie, try to bang in rebounds (while getting crossed checked) , win faceoffs, etc. Nylander would play a smooth skating game with sublime zone entries. Marner would do a number of drop passes, and the odd dirty dangle.

It would be a disaster. I like Marner and Sundin, but this would never work. Sorry.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Plus, Florida will likely rest a bunch of guys in that game since it is their last of the season. I doubt the Panthers will care much about winning that one.
I would bring up Clifford and play Reaves and beat the snot out of everyone.

Reactions: 29Potvin

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012

They did lose close games, but they played very poorly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad