Leafs’ first round opponent: Boston (who tanked for us)

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
My expectations aren't as high as last seasons around this time but it would be nice to finally beat the Bruins, although thats not likely.

I feel like if we ever win a cup again, we will never win it without beating them en route. Like the Red Sox having to beat the Yankees to get over the hump.

The worst part is if we manage to beat one, we probably gotta face the other anyway lol

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Give me Boston any day, I like the Leafs chances there.
I don't think they have much chance against Florida.
Pasta is a mutant and a big problem but I'd be so disappointed if we lost to a team whose tops centre's are Coyle and Geekie. We should in theory be able to win that series. Won't be easy but that's an obvious weakness compared to Barkov and company

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Pasta is a mutant and a big problem but I'd be so disappointed if we lost to a team whose tops centre's are Coyle and Geekie. We should in theory be able to win that series. Won't be easy but that's an obvious weakness compared to Barkov and company
Only in Toronto can 4 players get paid more than the other teams star and everybody then only talks about how good that OTHER star is vs our guys lmao.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If they lose in the first round everyone from Shanny right on down to the assistant coaches should be shown the door as well as some of the core.

No more excuses, no more moral victories and certainly no more respect in the handshake line

How that hasn’t already happened is mind boggling to me.

It’s like it’s not about winning, it must be about something el$e ?

You are only as strong as your weakest link.

Did you not play red rover as a kid ?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I want Boston. I like that Bergeron is no longer there, Marchand is older and the chance to beat them and rub it in the face of those scumbag Bruins fans is too good to pass up.

Reactions: torontoblood

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Only in Toronto can 4 players get paid more than the other teams star and everybody then only talks about how good that OTHER star is vs our guys anyone lmao.
[/QUOT
Let's face it ,the shanaplan failed.any team the leafs face in the first round if the Leafs beat them ,the coaches will be fired
The leafs ,if they win or round or even 2
Are as good as this bunch will be .
It's been some nice entertainment ,but it's not playoff worthy team

Reactions: NVious

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Sadly Leafs core 4 forwards are too soft and aren't built to beat either Florida or Boston physical style of play.

Ontario GTA native, Bruins fan. Just wanted to mention that the Bruins don't play physical. if you read that board you'll see that it's the #1 complaint about the team. Maroon and Peeke were brought in to help. Peeke is helping. It's not clear what Maroon has left. But essentially all year despite being 1st, fans have groaned at how soft the team is. It's running away with being the #1 complaint about this Bruins squad.

Boston is getting carried by goaltending. Their C depth is atrocious, and their scoring is way too dependent on Pasta/Marchand, and their McAvoy-Lindholm pairing also carries too much of the load.

The Leafs' top 3 lines will be too much for a team with only one good forward line and one good D pairing. Only the goaltending can save them.

The Bruins have scored 5 less goals than the Leafs. I think they average a quarter goal less per game than Toronto, and are in the top 10 in the league for scoring.

There is no McAvoy-Lindholm pairing. Lindholm is paired with Carlo. Also if your concern is for Marchand, he does not play with Pastrnak. Marchand plays with Coyle and Debrusk.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Bertuzzi matthews domi
McMann tavares marner
Holmberg jarnkrok nylander
Knies dewar kampf

Rielly boosh
Benoit mccabe
Edmundson lily

Reactions: m1ker

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ontario GTA native, Bruins fan. Just wanted to mention that the Bruins don't play physical. if you read that board you'll see that it's the #1 complaint about the team. Maroon and Peeke were brought in to help. Peeke is helping. It's not clear what Maroon has left. But essentially all year despite being 1st, fans have groaned at how soft the team is. It's running away with being the #1 complaint about this Bruins squad.

The Bruins have scored 5 less goals than the Leafs. I think they average a quarter goal less per game than Toronto, and are in the top 10 in the league for scoring.

There is no McAvoy-Lindholm pairing. Lindholm is paired with Carlo. Also if your concern is for Marchand, he does not play with Pastrnak. Marchand plays with Coyle and Debrusk.

I do like that you clarified that Boston doesn’t play physical. Definitely not physical as compared to their 2011-2014 heyday. But whenever we play the Bruins it seems like the big dogs are scared by the ghost of those former teams. Like Chara’s shadow might chop them in the corners or something.

Reactions: torontoblood

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
that never happened. how were we dominated for 2 periods every game when we outshot them in literally every game except game 3. we lost every game by 1 goal and the 1 game we lost by more than 1 was because we had a goal called back.
I remember Knies getting ragdolled and injured with no response and then us having no offence once Knies was out of the lineup. I also remember game 5 being disgusted the first 2 periods because we couldn’t get the puck out of our zones. The response from fan base was we couldn’t be happy with a series win because how badly we got out played.

You make it sound like it was a coin flip Florida won.

Reactions: myleafs and egd27

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016
if Boston - Leafs in 5. Boston always gets caught up at times playing the speed and skill game and Nylander will punish them.

if Florida - Leafs in 7 as Florida will at times defeat themselves, make costly mistakes looking at Matthews and Marner too much, and the Leafs gritty guys will get the ugly but timely goals. (ie bertuzzi , domi and tavares) , and then Samsonov owning the crease. I think here comes the deep playoff run. Be ready for it.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Boston won again.
Florida solidly in second now.

Boston 3 points ahead of Florida now.
Remaining strength of schedule has Boston with the #1 toughest remaining matchups.
I am confident we will play Boston first round.

The way the playoffs are set up it is conceivable Toronto plays the #2 team in the NHL round 1 and the #1 team in the NHL round 2. Boston and Florida are currently 1-2 in the NHL.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The reality is our path probably goes through both anyway, so I’m not too fussed on which comes first.

That said, in the spirit of the OP, I’ll say Boston is the preferred matchup.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I’m cool with facing either team… I think this year’s playoffs, we see the core step up.

Domi and Bertuzzi are going to lead the way in showing there’s a playoff gear and everyone needs to play tougher.

I seriously like our chances if they play that way… regardless of how Keefe runs the bench.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I actually don’t care which team we face. I feel they are both tough outs and that’s fine. I actually think Leaf’s being the underdog in the first round will help them.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If they lose in the first round everyone from Shanny right on down to the assistant coaches should be shown the door as well as some of the core.

No more excuses, no more moral victories and certainly no more respect in the handshake line
if Boston were a weaker team than us you might have a complaint, but they are a better team and currently have beaten us 6 straight. Only in a fluke do we beat them. So if we don’t get flukey fire everybody? lol!

Panthers are also a better team than us but we play better against them, maybe we stand a chance there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad