Leafs’ first round opponent: Boston (who tanked for us)

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Still thinking the Leafs will win the division eh?

You must have some sort of compulsive need to constantly make wrong predictions. Just stop already dude. You’ve been wrong every…single..time.
How does saying Tampa would get the Atlantic bracket predict anything? They are the first wildcard. Whichever team finishes in the first wildcard is going to get the Atlantic bracket. I didn't think that actually required an explanation.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
How does saying Tampa would get the Atlantic bracket predict anything? They are the first wildcard. Whichever team finishes in the first wildcard is going to get the Atlantic bracket. I didn't think that actually required an explanation.

It doesn’t. But you’ve made so many terrible predictions it’s hard to tell whether you are actually serious about the Leafs winning the division. Given this is a thread about the first round and your history of being dead wrong, it’s easy to misinterpret your intention.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It doesn’t. But you’ve made so many terrible predictions it’s hard to tell whether you are actually serious about the Leafs winning the division. Given this is a thread about the first round and your history of being dead wrong, it’s easy to misinterpret your intention.
You got me. I didn't mention the Leafs winning the division at all, but okay. I'm talking about Tampa. If things stay as they are, they will play Boston in the first round, and the winner of that series would play the winner of Toronto/Florida, no? The Leafs aren't catching Boston at this point. Florida might, but neither Florida nor Boston will likely catch the Rangers, so...

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
With a good coach we can compete against either or. With Keefe I think our chances are slim..it could happen but will be a struggle.
He just needs to not galaxy brain it. Keep some consistency going into the playoffs, it's not the time to start experimenting. Let the guys get/stay comfortable with their linemates and get some chemistry going. Don't do some random shit like 7D in the playoffs when we haven't practiced it all during the year, or some random line juggling hoping something sticks.

Hopefully he'll use last change.

Reactions: CincoHolio

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Tampa could easily catch the Leafs. Watch them(Leafs) only win 2 or 3 of their last games. I dont think the Leafs care where they finish now. Playing Boston or Florida. Thats like shot gun or hand grenade. They will have nothing left after that series, it will be murder. What The Leafs want is go in fresh and dont get injured. Boston finished first last year, how did that go? Just saying dont expect the Leafs to go all out to win these last 7.

Reactions: authentic and Lilou

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Florida is tanking to get the Leafs in the first round.

1712269870985.png

this should be read as ... we are resting Aaron Ekblad for the playoffs.

Like the Leafs are resting Marner.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

View attachment 846058

What's pretty laughable about this was Paul Maurice explicitly saying he'd be ready for game 1 of the playoffs/that's when we should expect him back.

No need to have a doctor track his progress then lol

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Remaining schedules for Tampa and Toronto, league wide ranking in brackets.

Tampa Bay
Toronto
Pittsburgh (21st)​
Montreal (27th)
Columbus (29th)Pittsburgh (21st)
Ottawa (26th)New Jersey (23rd)
Washington (18th)New Jersey (23rd)
Buffalo (22nd)Detroit (19th)
Toronto (10th)Florida (7th)
Tampa Bay (11th)

Lightning are breathing down our necks and have an easier schedule than us, but we've got one game in hand. Biggest problem for the Leafs is that they love nothing more than playing down to their opponents so while they should be able to take care of business against most of the teams on the docket, especially the next four, it's no guarantee they will.

Tampa has no back to backs remaining while the Leafs have two sets of back to backs so that's another point in Tampa's favour. Mitch coming back now may be perfect timing.

Really annoying we're in this position but that's what happens when you blow games against the shit of the league in Chicago and Columbus. Zero reason to have not dusted those teams. At least we managed to sweep Arizona for the first time in forever.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What's pretty laughable about this was Paul Maurice explicitly saying he'd be ready for game 1 of the playoffs/that's when we should expect him back.

No need to have a doctor track his progress then lol
I would take that to mean that he’s hurt but could play if they needed him to. Pretty standard stuff.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
With a good coach we can compete against either or. With Keefe I think our chances are slim..it could happen but will be a struggle.
To me it has always seemed that Keefe lets the other coach dictate how they want to play, rather than him dictating the play and making the other coach have to make adjustments.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Tampa is hot and Leafs don't have Marner. They will +2 us in the remaining games. We are facing Rangers

Nevermind for some reason I thought bruins were running away with east again. i havent looked at the top in a while. Thought Rangers guaranteed 2nd

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Add Quinn instead. Add Mats as well and as long as we get top 10 tending we should hit conf or cup
Bertuzzi Matthews Marner
Roberts Sundin Molgilny
McMann Tavares Nylander
Tucker Kampf Dewar

Bryan McCabe Kaberle
Rielly Yuskevich
Jake McCabe Benoit

Joseph
Samsonov

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
To me it has always seemed that Keefe lets the other coach dictate how they want to play, rather than him dictating the play and making the other coach have to make adjustments.

sometime you just dont have choice to make ajustment

get 7 new player in your roster late in season, you dont have choice to make ajustment. personally i dont think keefe really liked it last season, thats just broken team chemistry.

get key player like tavares an Muzzin injured against mtl, you have to make ajustement

or get Muzzin injured and having player like dermott or Martin Marincin to replace him, do you really having choice to make ajustment?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

View attachment 846058

Aaron Ekblad is a cheap customer who likes dishing out lumber. Mugging Bunting like it’s a dark alleyway. But he’s also a Mr Potato Head: hit him and he explodes. So if Florida is going to advertise to the world that he’s nursing this and that all it tells me is the Leafs should focus a very heavy forecheck right in Ekblad’s direction. Reaves on Ekblad on glass. Bertuzzi on Ekblad on glass. McMann on Ekblad on glass. Matthews on Ekblad on glass. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: torontoblood

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
sometime you just dont have choice to make ajustment

get 7 new player in your roster late in season, you dont have choice to make ajustment. personally i dont think keefe really liked it last season, thats just broken team chemistry.

get key player like tavares an Muzzin injured against mtl, you have to make ajustement

or get Muzzin injured and having player like dermott or Martin Marincin to replace him, do you really having choice to make ajustment?
I was thinking more in terms of line matching, especially when they have home ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad