Leaf Draft Wars 2015: Who! Will! They! Pick!? - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
One of the reasons why I liked Lindros is he refused to be chattel.

No one had to trade Lindros, they could have left him outside the NHL.

Leafs can draft whoever they want, but that doesn't mean Marner becomes property of the Leafs, just his NHL playing rights.

I agree with you that all these players are trade able but you are obligated to fulfill the requirements of your term and you can not force your employer trade only to one team (in this scenario it was Toronto) and he did the same thing when he was drafted and I believe (correct me if I am wrong) he is the only 1st OA pick to do that

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Here's a little something - something I've been working on:

Here's some high profile 1st Rd'ers from the OHL since the 2009 draft. It is their goals & points percentage based on their teams scoring. It is also pro-rated for their GP (VERY important IMO). Have a looksie:

McDavid - 52.9%pts - 19.4%goals
Tavares - 52.3%pts - 29%goals (Blended stat between LON & OSH)
Marner - 47.7%pts - 16.7%goals
Seguin - 47.1%pts - 21.3%goals
Yakupov - 46.3%pts - 20.8%goals
Stamkos - 45.7%pts - 25.0%goals
Dal Colle - 42.4%pts - 17.4%goals
R.Strome - 41.2%pts - 12.8%goals
D.Strome - 39.5%pts - 13.8%goals
T.Hall - 38.7%pts - 14.6%goals
Bennett - 36.4%pts - 14.4%goals
M.Domi - 34%pts - 15.2%goals
N.Kadri - 33.2%pts - 10.6%goals
Crouse - 32.5%pts - 18.5%goals

For a Different perspective here they are sorted by goals percentage, does it seem any more accurate?

Tavares
Stamkos
Seguin
Yakupov
McDavid
Crouse
Dal Colle
Marner
M.Domi
Hall
Bennett
D.Strome
R.Strome
Kadri

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I mentioned this should be factored in, good of you to point this out. Crouse playing on a weaker team than London or Erie. 29 goals in 56 games is a solid number for Kingston. He also had 2 more goals to zero to Bennett in OHL playoffs. I heard he is pretty good.
This is some fine Interactif'ing. Ignore points then make a comparison based on a 4 game series.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
All things equal, we have agreed skill is the most important factor to who the Leafs pick.

Hunter said skill is defined as "“Skill to us is hockey sense. Puck skills. All the things that make a guy unique."

Puck Skills is easily noticeable. Hockey sense, more yes and no. All things that make a guy unique? Not so much. I think this is where Crouse falls into his own unique niche.

It is easier to draft small guys with skill. It is not so easy to find bigger players with skill. This is the part that makes Crouse unique. It may make Strome unique to some.

Most would say there is not a large difference in talent from Strome to Marner. Since it is much harder to find size and talent. For argument's sake how about Leafs draft Strome, and pick up a pick to draft Konecny or Barzal later if we want a player similar to Marner. Bracco should be available at #24 if we want small and skilled.

How about if we forget about this debate in between Strome and Marner and pick Hanifin if Arizona pick either Strome or Marner (the big split is between these two guys), but with Hanifin (there are only few who would prefer Provorov or Werenski, but majority prefer Hanifin) and who can argue about Hanifin (keep in mind I am a big fan of Hanifin)

The posters usually do not talk about Hanifin, because he is the least controversial of all and with Hanifin without any question you are getting a # 1 D, who is going to patrol our blue line for a long time

I believe next year you have options to pick your C with size and skill or you can acquire another pick this year and with that pick you can go for your #1 C

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For a Different perspective here they are sorted by goals percentage, does it seem any more accurate?

Tavares
Stamkos
Seguin
Yakupov
McDavid
Crouse
Dal Colle
Marner
M.Domi
Hall
Bennett
D.Strome
R.Strome
Kadri

It's too early to tell for some of these players. But this is a very interesting and different look at a prospect. Good discussion, something new to the table.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
How about if we forget about this debate in between Strome and Marner and pick Hanifin if Arizona pick either Strome or Marner (the big split is between these two guys), but with Hanifin (there are only few who would prefer Provorov or Werenski, but majority prefer Hanifin) and who can argue about Hanifin (keep in mind I am a big fan of Hanifin)

The posters usually do not talk about Hanifin, because he is the least controversial of all and with Hanifin without any question you are getting a # 1 D, who is going to patrol our blue line for a long time

I believe next year you have options to pick your C with size and skill or you can acquire another pick this year and with that pick you can go for your #1 C

There's actually lots of questions about whether Hanifin can be a #1 which is why he keeps falling down some teams draft boards. Some teams think Provorov has more of an impact while Hanifin might almost play too safe of a game and end up as a 2nd pairing guy.

If he was a slam dunk #1 defenceman for a long time he goes #3 overall without any hesitating.

The amount of people throwing out sure things and guarantees about everyone ranked #'s 3-100 in this draft class is getting to be hilarious here.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

My belief is anytime is a good time to draft a #1C with size and skill if you have a chance, they do not come along everyday. Since we have been without one since Sundin was traded to us. If you have a chance to get one, better not wait.

Barzal, Konecny, Merkley, Beauvillier, and Bracco are all skilled guys we can still pick up this year. Last year we got Nylander with Ehlers, Fiala, Paternak and Fabbri still available.

There was only one Draisaitl though.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Let's not forget one thing that all these kids are 18 or going to be 18 at the time of draft - we all talk about flaws in all of these prospects, whether it's size, foot speed, puck handling, defensive or any other flaws. Please keep in mind all these are still growing and developing their skill and if these flawas are minute then we should not make this an issue (like any scout would say need to work on ----)

Zacha Apr. 06; 1997
Mcdavid Jan. 13; 1997
Marner May 05; 1997
Strome Mar. 07; 1997
Crouse June 25; 1997
Eichel Oct. 28; 1996
Hanifin Jan. 25; 1997
Provorov Jan. 13; 1997
Barzal May 26; 1997
Rantanen Oct. 29; 1996

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

If Hunter takes a Dman don't be surprised if that player is Provorov. ;)

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
There's actually lots of questions about whether Hanifin can be a #1 which is why he keeps falling down some teams draft boards. Some teams think Provorov has more of an impact while Hanifin might almost play too safe of a game and end up as a 2nd pairing guy.

If he was a slam dunk #1 defenceman for a long time he goes #3 overall without any hesitating.

The amount of people throwing out sure things and guarantees about everyone ranked #'s 3-100 in this draft class is getting to be hilarious here.

And which teams would those be, pray tell.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Y = why exactly does Morrison still have a job, again?

Ask that after the draft. I don't think they'd fire him heading into the draft, might want to let this draft finish before making that choice. Shanahan waited until the season ended in regards to Nonis and others.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
If the Leafs pick 4th I think it's a pretty good bet they draft somebody.

larry-david-stare-down-okay.gif

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If I read anything into this, player "Y" is Strome. Meaning Leafs are definitely getting Strome if he's available:

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-new-philosophy-has-them-looking-to-select-future-stars-at-upcoming-entry-draft

I think the only thing you can truly decipher from this is that they want player Y...

I do think they know who they want. I won't hazard a guess as to who it is, but I think there's one of the 3 that they really want, and they'll just go through the motions to see who Arizona goes with. I doubt they have a problem taking one of the other 2 as a consolation, but it would be nice to get the guy we've got our sights on from the get-go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad