Leaf Draft Wars 2015: Who! Will! They! Pick!? - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Last thread is at its limit ..Continue discussion here.

My personal 2015 NHL Top 15 Draft Player Rankings

#1 Connor McDavid, Centre, Erie Otters, OHL
#2 Jack Eichel, Centre, Boston University Terriers, NCAA Hockey East
#3 Noah Hanifin, Defence, Boston College Eagles, NCAA Hockey East
#4 Mathew Barzal, Centre, Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL
#5 Dylan Strome, Centre, Erie Otters, OHL
#6 Ivan Provorov, Defence, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL
#7 Pavel Zacha, Centre, Sarnia Sting, OHL
#8 Mitch Marner, Right Wing/Centre, London Knights, OHL
#9 Lawson Crouse, Left Wing, Kingston Frontenacs, OHL
#10 Zach Werenski, Defence, Michigan Wolverines, NCAA Big Ten

#11 Mikko Rantanen, Right Wing/Centre, TPS, SM-Liiga
#12 Kyle Connor, Centre, Youngstown Phantoms, USHL
#13 Timo Meier, Right Wing, Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL
#14 Nick Merkley, Centre/Right Wing, Kelowna Rockets, WHL
#15 Evgeni Svechnikov, Left Wing, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles, QMJHL

My list is structured so that Leafs draft either for either a #1C or #1D at #4 overall.

With my favourites in order for Leafs pick #1. Barzal #2. Hanifin #3 Strome ... However I'm expecting the Leafs to draft Marner with the pick.

Last edited:

91Kadri91*

I wonder if our analytics guys (Dubas, Charron, Pettapiece, Metcalf) have tracked this stuff by going through gametape.

That would definitely give us an edge. Could spot the underrated guys who maybe haven't produced that much because of mitigating factors (crappy team, lack of minutes, etc.) but still drove play.

Dubas did talk about getting an edge, and that would certainly be an edge.

PCS% is also a new metric that, at the very least, is interesting. Plenty of work still to do, but a promising start.

91Kadri91*

Interesting stuff!!

I just wish they provided the list. I know it's based on a consensus (you can see that in the twitter discussion), but I've only got the top-6 figured out (I'm pretty sure), and Werenski is apparently the one with the extremely low PCS% among the top-10.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I've read Gauthier is a good skater and last night LD made him look less than average in an end to end skate.

So someone is being over or under rated here.

Mind you neither are close to Zacha, who just bursts through zones.

Big players' skating always gets underrated. Short choppy strides look faster than long powerful ones.

FG and LD are probably both victims of this.

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013
I just wish they provided the list. I know it's based on a consensus (you can see that in the twitter discussion), but I've only got the top-6 figured out (I'm pretty sure), and Werenski is apparently the one with the extremely low PCS% among the top-10.

Rantanen probably rounds out the 3 lowest ones in the top 10, along with Hanifin (likely the dot after McEichel). I imagine just because they must have smaller cohorts due to the leagues they play in.

edit: Btw, do you have a twitter handle if you don't mind sharing?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I wonder if our analytics guys (Dubas, Charron, Pettapiece, Metcalf) have tracked this stuff by going through gametape.

I would certainly hope so.

That would definitely give us an edge. Could spot the underrated guys who maybe haven't produced that much because of mitigating factors (crappy team, lack of minutes, etc.) but still drove play.

San Jose has been doing this type of stuff for 10 years. Other teams as well. Not sure it's not giving us an edge so much as catching us up.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Tavares was questioned about his skating when he was drafted. I don't see a problem with Strome's or Draisaitl's skating when you have the instincts to play the game.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Barkov was questioned about his skating when drafted, now it's more than fine.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
My personal top 10

McDavid
Eichel
Hanifin
Marner
Strome
Barzal
Provorov
Werenski
Crouse
Rantanen

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barkov was questioned about his skating when drafted, now it's more than fine.

No prospect is perfect. It's about checks and balances. You can have a great skater with mediocre hockey sense. You can have a mediocre skater with exceptional hockey sense. Just because someone can skate, does not guarantee success.

I look at Tavares, Bergeron, Thornton, Getzlaf, Sakic, all guys that skating was not their strength. But more than made up for it, in hockey sense. I do know Strome has hockey sense.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
No prospect is perfect. It's about checks and balances. You can have a great skater with mediocre hockey sense. You can have a mediocre skater with exceptional hockey sense. Just because someone can skate, does not guarantee success.

I look at Tavares, Bergeron, Thornton, Getzlaf, Sakic, all guys that skating was not their strength. But more than made up for it, in hockey sense. I do know Strome has hockey sense.

Does he have the drive? Can he be a difference maker at the highest level? Can he be a 1C on a cup winning team?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
can't we at least have an interesting thread title now? please? like

Leaf Draft Wars 2015: Who! Will! They! Pick!?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
1- Connor McDavid
2- Jack Eichel
3- Mitch Marner
4- Dylan Strome
5- Noah Hanifin
6- Ivan Provorov
7- Mikko Rantanen
8- Matthew Barzal
9- Zach Werenski
10- Travis Konecny

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yep. Strome's a really smart player.

Edit: I actually think Getzlaf is a really good skater lol

Big men can't skate syndrome. He does not look like he is moving fast, but he gets there. He is strong on his skates like Perry. Not overly fast, but good skaters. Both make up for it in size and hockey IQ though.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
also Bergeron has skating issues?

1- Connor McDavid
2- Jack Eichel
3- Mitch Marner
4- Dylan Strome
5- Noah Hanifin
6- Ivan Provorov
7- Mikko Rantanen
8- Matthew Barzal
9- Zach Werenski
10- Travis Konecny

why do you think the Leafs would skip Hanifin?

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
Last thread is at its limit ..Continue discussion here.

My personal 2015 NHL Top 15 Draft Player Rankings

My list is structured so that Leafs draft either for either a #1C or #1D at #4 overall.

With my favourites in order for Leafs pick #1. Barzal #2. Hanifin #3 Strome ... However I'm expecting the Leafs to draft Marner with the pick.

I love Barzal as well. Did a bunch of research and watching of him and all that comes to mind is two words DIFFERENCE MAKER. He plays a complete game and I can see why he was considered top 5 before the season. I would have zero issues with the Leafs taking him and I remember Hunter talking about him in an interview. That being said if Arz. takes Strome, Haniffin is too good to pass on IMO. Draft will be an exciting time for us and a source of great debate afterwards I am sure.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Other than Mcdavid, there are many what ifs this draft. There are no guarantees for all prospects. Not just for Strome.

Good lawyer talk.

Asked for your opinion though ;)

Also think that Eichel is all you'd want in a prospect too, but obviously more or less every other player you will have questions on strengths and weaknesses.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I love Barzal as well. Did a bunch of research and watching of him and all that comes to mind is two words DIFFERENCE MAKER. He plays a complete game and I can see why he was considered top 5 before the season. I would have zero issues with the Leafs taking him and I remember Hunter talking about him in an interview. That being said if Arz. takes Strome, Haniffin is too good to pass on IMO. Draft will be an exciting time for us and a source of great debate afterwards I am sure.

Same here, more and more I am leaning towards Barzal. He looks so solid and a natural playmaker

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay

I would love to see the eafs trade back in this draft to be honest. I know many are going to disagree and that's fine. However if they could make any of these trades I would hop all over it.

Leafs 4th& 65th overall to NJ 6th, 46th & 41st, Clb for 8th, 34th & 38th or Phil for 7th & 27th.

Leafs need to acquire more picks and I think Barzal not a drop as some do, plus with multiple 2nd's or another late 1st we may also be able to move up nicely and have a great start to this rebuild.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I would love to see the eafs trade back in this draft to be honest. I know many are going to disagree and that's fine. However if they could make any of these trades I would hop all over it.

Leafs 4th& 65th overall to NJ 6th, 46th & 41st, Clb for 8th, 34th & 38th or Phil for 7th & 27th.

Leafs need to acquire more picks and I think Barzal not a drop as some do, plus with multiple 2nd's or another late 1st we may also be able to move up nicely and have a great start to this rebuild.

I think the drop off from Hanifin, Strome and Marner to Barzal, Crouse, Rantanen, etc is pretty large.

We're in a great position to finally draft in the top 5 and get a sure fire blue chip prospect, and we want to move down because Barzal looks really good but can't put up 15 goals in his draft season?

The risk makes no sense to me.

Dropping down from #24 makes a lot more sense if you want to acquire more picks then dropping down from the #4 spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad