Le Retour des Nordiques Partie XIII: L'espoir renait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec

This is Brian Mulroney saying that things are moving slowly but surely and that he has met with Bettman on the subject. He also says that the promoters of the return of the Nords will take more initiatives in the coming weeks and months.

He wants to keep a low profile and not say much, because that's how the league prefers it.

Figured I'd translate.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
This is Brian Mulroney saying that things are moving slowly but surely and that he has met with Bettman on the subject. He also says that the promoters of the return of the Nords will take more initiatives in the coming weeks and months.

He wants to keep a low profile and not say much, because that's how the league prefers it.

Figured I'd translate.

I got about 75 percent of that thanks to Mrs. Madore's school French. And I appreciate you filling in the other 25 percent. :nod:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I got about 75 percent of that thanks to Mrs. Madore's school French. :nod:

Oh?.... you remember the text book & big cartoon like pictures of the Leduc family & their various adventures Ugmo?... often involving their dog... Pitou! Pitou! Donne moi le poulet! Donne moi le poulet!... Pitou had stolen a chicken from the picnic basket & Jacques Leduc, he wanted it back.... Now, I found this & other stories so amusing, my french teacher, Ms. Mallette expelled me from the class. Bad influence on the rest of the students or something.... But, no problem, I learned it later from some snotty Parisiennes. So when I go to Quebec, I can act all hauty & superior. Ja. :)

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Seeing all the dates for the upcoming shows for the year, Nordiques or no Nordiques, at the very least the Arena is going to be pretty busy.

So it won't totally be a white elephant.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
It's a done deal. Just a matter of protocol and agreeing to a price. Bettman seems to hold all the cards here: Las Vegas is simply being used by the NHL to bid, probably artificially, against Quebec in order to raise the price to an insanely irrational level. Phoenix should have folded ages ago but is being kept alive artificially for this very reason. The NHL will squeeze Peladeau for 1B easy but with Mulrooney, 500 - 750MM would be the norm for a team that is probably worth 80MM in a free market.
Announcement would come suddenly this summer for the Nordiques return in October 2015. Question is who will be the first opponent? The Habs?

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
It's a done deal. Just a matter of protocol and agreeing to a price. Bettman seems to hold all the cards here: Las Vegas is simply being used by the NHL to bid, probably artificially, against Quebec in order to raise the price to an insanely irrational level. Phoenix should have folded ages ago but is being kept alive artificially for this very reason. The NHL will squeeze Peladeau for 1B easy but with Mulrooney, 500 - 750MM would be the norm for a team that is probably worth 80MM in a free market.
Announcement would come suddenly this summer for the Nordiques return in October 2015. Question is who will be the first opponent? The Habs?

That was pretty funny READ. Mulroney and Bettman are good friends... $500M for a relocation? yeah right.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Oh?.... you remember the text book & big cartoon like pictures of the Leduc family & their various adventures Ugmo?... often involving their dog... Pitou! Pitou! Donne moi le poulet! Donne moi le poulet!... Pitou had stolen a chicken from the picnic basket & Jacques Leduc, he wanted it back.... Now, I found this & other stories so amusing, my french teacher, Ms. Mallette expelled me from the class. Bad influence on the rest of the students or something.... But, no problem, I learned it later from some snotty Parisiennes. So when I go to Quebec, I can act all hauty & superior. Ja. :)

Don't remember any of that, but I have a horrendous memory. I remember some murder mystery cartoon about a kid who solved a case in Banff - whereby everyone was speaking French, which didn't seem to make sense at the time.

GF

Nov 4, 2012
Should we read into the fact that someone as close to the return of the Nordiques as Mulroney starting to speak is a good sign?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Should we read into the fact that someone as close to the return of the Nordiques as Mulroney starting to speak is a good sign?

I've taken it as so, yes.... in fact, Ive got a signed 8X10 glossy of the guy from when he was Prime Minister. Just might haul it out of a box & hang it up. Throw some VooDoo JuJu at it. Help him get the job done.

GF

Nov 4, 2012
No expansion team anywhere is worth 500m$ that's insanity. Except maybe Toronto2, but only because it's the biggest Hockey market in the world AND because Toronto1 sucks so bad that Toronto2 could get many fans rather quickly.

Of course if PKP wants to pay 1/2B$ for a piece of paper that says he can own 22 rejects from the league, then I guess it's worth that. But with 3 teams bleeding money and a brand new, state of the art arena, he'd have to be pretty dumb to pay that amount for an expansion team. Waiting for first casualty would be smarter.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Am told the boards are coming up tomorrow.
kDiVEFC.png

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
No expansion team anywhere is worth 500m$ that's insanity. Except maybe Toronto2, but only because it's the biggest Hockey market in the world AND because Toronto1 sucks so bad that Toronto2 could get many fans rather quickly.

Of course if PKP wants to pay 1/2B$ for a piece of paper that says he can own 22 rejects from the league, then I guess it's worth that. But with 3 teams bleeding money and a brand new, state of the art arena, he'd have to be pretty dumb to pay that amount for an expansion team. Waiting for first casualty would be smarter.

This post makes sense to anyone with a pulse except for the NHL front office and civic politicians in Glendale AZ.:sarcasm:

SilverPlaqueVII

Dec 5, 2011
Scarborough, ON
And still no report on the Panthers sale just yet...

How on earth did True North made a deal with Atlanta Spirit to get the Thrashers? Quebecor did not talk to the Florida Panthers owners Cifu, Viola just yet if the bailout issue is yet reached.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
I like how the one guy in the article said Quebec had to prove themselves with an AHL team...hahah, n'importe quoi!

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I like how the one guy in the article said Quebec had to prove themselves with an AHL team...hahah, n'importe quoi!

It would fail miserably, especially if, once again, as it is likely to be, it were the Habs farm team. Saying that is being ignorant (at best) about our market.

The Q works great here (and you couldn't charge more for AHL hockey). We don't need to "prove" anything with an AHL team that most people would see as an insult to their market.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It would fail miserably, especially if, once again, as it is likely to be, it were the Habs farm team. Saying that is being ignorant (at best) about our market.

The Q works great here (and you couldn't charge more for AHL hockey). We don't need to "prove" anything with an AHL team that most people would see as an insult to their market.

Really do not get that, we had the AHL in Winnipeg, the AHL team was well supported, successful and in IMO played a big part in the return of the NHL. The AHL is returning to Winnipeg along with NHL hockey and like the Jets the AHL Moose will be well supported. Hockey is hockey, if your city truly is a hockey market any hockey team would be supported!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad