Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
sipowicz said:
Watched my Jets play in Sunrise Fl last night and the place was empty, the Panthers are in the play off hunt and still can't draw flies, how do even begin to make money there?

I only hope you enjoyed watching that game in person every bit as much as I enjoyed watching it on DirecTV...

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I only hope you enjoyed watching that game in person every bit as much as I enjoyed watching it on DirecTV...

Last season I went to a Jets game in Sunrise and paid $22 to sit in the 8th row on the Blueline. $22 doesn't even get you into the MTS Centre, does it?

A friend of mine is a season-ticket holder with the Panthers, and he is not renewing. owing to the terrible customer service they are now offering.

The writing is on the wall ... Panthers to Quebec.

Some people have argued that Viola bought the Panthers for prestige. I call that wishful thinking. His purchase of the Panthers was a shrewd investment, and he is doing exactly what somebody who treats it as an investment would do: maximizing his return.

He has cut staff, in-game amenities, and is clearly not interested in selling more season tickets. Rather, he sees an opportunity to sell it to Quebecor. He bought it for $160 Million, probably lost in the range of $60M operating it, and is now going to sell it for $400M+. Doubling his investment in a couple of years is pretty good business.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Last season I went to a Jets game in Sunrise and paid $22 to sit in the 8th row on the Blueline. $22 doesn't even get you into the MTS Centre, does it?

A friend of mine is a season-ticket holder with the Panthers, and he is not renewing. owing to the terrible customer service they are now offering.

The writing is on the wall ... Panthers to Quebec.

Some people have argued that Viola bought the Panthers for prestige. I call that wishful thinking. His purchase of the Panthers was a shrewd investment, and he is doing exactly what somebody who treats it as an investment would do: maximizing his return.

He has cut staff, in-game amenities, and is clearly not interested in selling more season tickets. Rather, he sees an opportunity to sell it to Quebecor. He bought it for $160 Million, probably lost in the range of $60M operating it, and is now going to sell it for $400M+. Doubling his investment in a couple of years is pretty good business.

He won't sell for $400M+. Quebecor isn't stupid, the franchise isn't worth ****. He will be lucky to get $200M for it, maybe $250M if we consider that sport-franchise value has gone up a LOT in the last 2 years. Of course, the league will likely charge a $70M relo fee on top of that, but Viola won't see THAT money.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON

This isn't necessarily directed at you, but doesn't that point to a problem in Winnipeg and markets like it, not in Florida and places like it?

Why should anyone have to pay what Winnipeg charges to see a hockey game?

We have cost certainty for players and owners, but what about for the fans?

JB52

Apr 6, 2012
Quebec City
Ah! L’espoir!

But, I haven’t followed the whole thing closely lately, but I was under the impression that, with the news, this week, that Quebecor had paid the Remparts 16 million, there wasn't that much espoir left, at least on a short time period.

That, obviously base on the argument that once the Nordiques are back, the Remparts value will significantly drop. Quebecor would not pay the high price for a junior team if they knew the Nordiques were anywhere close from the new building.

ticats4

Mar 7, 2010
Wainfleet
Ah! L’espoir!

But, I haven’t followed the whole thing closely lately, but I was under the impression that, with the news, this week, that Quebecor had paid the Remparts 16 million, there wasn't that much espoir left, at least on a short time period.

That, obviously base on the argument that once the Nordiques are back, the Remparts value will significantly drop. Quebecor would not pay the high price for a junior team if they knew the Nordiques were anywhere close from the new building.

Could it also be a question of Quebecor trying to maximise use of the new Colisee by having the Nordiques 2.0 and the Remparts?

Hal1971

Mar 26, 2012
Quebec City
Ah! L’espoir!

Could be that they needed a skeletal crew on short notice to receive a NHL team on short notice. What better way to do that without raising too many questions ?

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Ah! L’espoir!

Not necessarily true. The teams would draw different crowds. This model has worked quite successfully in Calgary and Edmonton. The junior teams draw more families, but still do well at the gate.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Because the business realities that make Canada the ideal place for NHL franchises are the same ones that make Canada the place for NHL ticket gouging.

It's not gouging. It's simply supply and demand. If people don't want to pay that much, they don't have to - nobody is forcing them to go to the games.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
It's not gouging. It's simply supply and demand. If people don't want to pay that much, they don't have to - nobody is forcing them to go to the games.

I think the point some may be touching on is the Canadian tendency to proudly proclaim supporting lackluster teams at insane prices year after year as a sign of market strength. Many American markets across the major sports, perhaps most markets, hold their teams more accountable. I am from New Jersey and the decrease in attendance and ticket demand for the powerhouse franchise New York Yankees has been widely discussed in baseball circles. Even the New York Jets of the money printing NFL are starting to have trouble packing out the place at the prices they would like.

Obviously some markets are too fair weather, but I think there are many that rightly are not going to throw good money at under performing franchises indefinitely. The problem with analyzing Florida is they reside in a notoriously fair weather market but at the same time have pretty much stunk up the joint the last two decades (I am not counting the occasional playoff run as sustained success). I would like to see what they could do with a few years of a marketable team with committed ownership. Note that this is coming from someone who would very much like to see Quebec City get a team back (definitely over the abomination developing in Las Vegas) but is reluctant to support that at another fan base's expense.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I think the point some may be touching on is the Canadian tendency to proudly proclaim supporting lackluster teams at insane prices year after year as a sign of market strength. Many American markets across the major sports, perhaps most markets, hold their teams more accountable. I am from New Jersey and the decrease in attendance and ticket demand for the powerhouse franchise New York Yankees has been widely discussed in baseball circles. Even the New York Jets of the money printing NFL are starting to have trouble packing out the place at the prices they would like.

Obviously some markets are too fair weather, but I think there are many that rightly are not going to throw good money at under performing franchises indefinitely. The problem with analyzing Florida is they reside in a notoriously fair weather market but at the same time have pretty much stunk up the joint the last two decades (I am not counting the occasional playoff run as sustained success). I would like to see what they could do with a few years of a marketable team with committed ownership. Note that this is coming from someone who would very much like to see Quebec City get a team back (definitely over the abomination developing in Las Vegas) but is reluctant to support that at another fan base's expense.

You're assuming there's some kind of relationship between the team and its fans. There's not ... the team sets its prices, and fans choose to pay them (or not pay them). The question is not whether teams are pro-fan or anti-fan, or whether the fans are holding the team "accountable." It's just a business, like any other.

As a thought exercise, imagine that people who love Porsches consider themselves "fans" of the Porsche. Do they expect Porsche to lower the price because doing so would be "pro-fan" (or not doing so to be "anti-fan"). No. Porsches are what they are, and people choose to buy them or not. I can love Porsches all that I want, but so long as other people are willing to pay $80,000 for a Porsche, they will remain out of my price range.

Canadians love hockey more than (most) Americans - certainly more than Americans living in Florida. As a result, more Canadians are willing to pay to go see an NHL game - at whatever price is being charged - than (most) Americans. It's that simple.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
You're assuming there's some kind of relationship between the team and its fans. There's not ... the team sets its prices, and fans choose to pay them (or not pay them). The question is not whether teams are pro-fan or anti-fan, or whether the fans are holding the team "accountable." It's just a business, like any other.

As a thought exercise, imagine that people who love Porsches consider themselves "fans" of the Porsche. Do they expect Porsche to lower the price because doing so would be "pro-fan" (or not doing so to be "anti-fan"). No. Porsches are what they are, and people choose to buy them or not. I can love Porsches all that I want, but so long as other people are willing to pay $80,000 for a Porsche, they will remain out of my price range.

Canadians love hockey more than (most) Americans - certainly more than Americans living in Florida. As a result, more Canadians are willing to pay to go see an NHL game - at whatever price is being charged - than (most) Americans. It's that simple.

Not assuming any relationship at all; was not thinking along those lines until you brought it up. Consumers certainly can hold a business accountable for the quality of its product. Using the Porsche from your example, if its quality plummets to that of a Yugo, should the discerning consumer continue to pay $80,000 for it? The stereotypical hockey crazed Canadian fan from my example would continue to throw big money at a Yugo-like Porsche out of sheer love for the brand. Of course they can choose to do so and proclaim unwavering loyalty. Frankly, I respect that and am not trying to knock it. Just do not try to hold American sports fans, NHL or otherwise, to that very lofty standard.

Done and done. :laugh:

Ha first time I have been called out for my tag line. If you can see this comment well played, must say I deserved it for unfairly attacking another market (which admittedly I am not a big fan of at the moment).

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Not assuming any relationship at all; was not thinking along those lines until you brought it up. Consumers certainly can hold a business accountable for the quality of its product. Using the Porsche from your example, if its quality plummets to that of a Yugo, should the discerning consumer continue to pay $80,000 for it? The Canadian fan from my example would continue to throw big money at a Yugo-like Porsche out of sheer love for the brand. Of course they can choose to do so and proclaim unwavering loyalty. Frankly, I respect that and am not trying to knock it. Just do not try to hold American sports fans, NHL or otherwise, to that very lofty standard.

Really? The notion that Americans hold teams accountable whereas Canadians don't is pretty laughable.

Check out the Blue Jays' attendance figures over the past 20 seasons.
Or, how about those Oakland Raiders, Penn State Nittany Lions, and other mediocre football teams that continue to sell out.

It's sport-specific, not some grand American concept of accountability.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Really? The notion that Americans hold teams accountable whereas Canadians don't is pretty laughable.

Check out the Blue Jays' attendance figures over the past 20 seasons.
Or, how about those Oakland Raiders, Penn State Nittany Lions, and other mediocre football teams that continue to sell out.

It's sport-specific, not some grand American concept of accountability.

I agree, was thinking about editing to qualify that above but we have been generalizing as it is . Definitely the NHL in Canada is the same as NCAA football or the NFL in many American markets. My point is that NHL teams south of the border should not be held to the Canadian standard no more than the CFL should be held to the NFL standard (not sure if that is a great example but it is the only one I can think of). Do not want to drift too much further as I was originally posting to defend Florida's attendance giving their non-contention over the last two decades.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I agree, was thinking about editing to qualify that above but we have been generalizing as it is . Definitely the NHL in Canada is the same as NCAA football or the NFL in many American markets. My point is that NHL teams south of the border should not be held to the Canadian standard no more than the CFL should be held to the NFL standard (not sure if that is a great example but it is the only one I can think of). Do not want to drift too much further as I was originally posting to defend Florida's attendance giving their non-contention over the last two decades.

I'm glad you clarified that. But, I live in Miami ... and when you can get great seats for $20-50, and yet entire rows sit empty at those prices, that's not explainable by on-ice performance alone.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I'm glad you clarified that. But, I live in Miami ... and when you can get great seats for $20-50, and yet entire rows sit empty at those prices, that's not explainable by on-ice performance alone.

Yet almost everything in post #7 is inaccurate or just plain untrue, so I'm wondering how actively you follow the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad