LD Ty Smith - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2018, 17th, NJD)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Either way, it isn't always first to the show that ends up having the best career. Smith could have played as an 18 year old but it also could have stunted his growth. He still has a ways to go on the defensive side of the puck, just getting better with his stick.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Idk I’ve watched Miller and I still see monster potential there that Smith won’t be able to hit
4va09a.jpg

theVladiator

May 26, 2018

Jack compares Ty to Quinn.

I remember seeing Smith in the preseasons game, and I was concerned by the lack of explosiveness in his skating. He is smooth no doubt, and knows the angles to buy time and protect the puck, but for one reason or the other he wasn't moving his feet enough. Coughed up the puck a couple of times because of that, gliding too much and overestimating the time he has, but I think that was right after the draft. Wondering what his skating and skating habits are like now. Did he really turn into a Roadrunner like Quinn?

Reactions: HockeyWooot

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I remember seeing Smith in the preseasons game, and I was concerned by the lack of explosiveness in his skating. He is smooth no doubt, and knows the angles to buy time and protect the puck, but for one reason or the other he wasn't moving his feet enough. Coughed up the puck a couple of times because of that, gliding too much and overestimating the time he has, but I think that was right after the draft. Wondering what his skating and skating habits are like now. Did he really turn into a Roadrunner like Quinn?
Quinn is still significantly more explosive. The Hughes brothers (Jack and Quinn at least) are just on another level than most. But Ty’s skating looks better than it did in camp last year. I think his speed is fairly average but he is very smooth and agile.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Not that hard to look good when you're playing 11 sheltered minutes a game. Let smith play a top pairing role before even comparing him to Hughes. Smith can't even hold Hughes' jockstrap LOL
15 minutes a game actually which is about the same as Hughes in his rookie year so...What are you trying to prove here? that you have peoples jockstraps on your mind?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

He's never going to be a speedy dynamic skater like Makar, Hughes, Dahlin, or Heiskanen. But he does have great edges and is very smooth - and when he's playing with confidence his feet tend to get going.

His poise and skating ability reminds me a bit of Sergei Zubov. Definitely more cerebral than most other young defenseman in the league (excluding Adam Fox).

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
He's definitely playing sheltered minutes early in the season, which is understandable. I know another rookie who isn't, though...

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Both Miller and Smith look great, excelling in different aspects of the game. It's unclear who will be more valuable long term and both fanbases should be happy about the early returns.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
He's definitely playing sheltered minutes early in the season, which is understandable. I know another rookie who isn't, though...

He is also putting up points in sheltered minutes, which says alot. He will be in the Devils top 4, in a couple of weeks.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Not that hard to look good when you're playing 11 sheltered minutes a game. Let smith play a top pairing role before even comparing him to Hughes. Smith can't even hold Hughes' jockstrap LOL

Are you laughing at Jack Hughes for comparing Smith to his brother? Relax.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
He is also playing with Tennyson, so it all equals out.

I guess the Tennyson bashing goes back to last year - when like a number of the Devils' defensemen he was all over the place and trying to do too much.

In five games this year he has been the ideal partner for a 20-year-old in his first pro season. It seems like playing with Kulikov has also rubbed off on Tennyson as he has been much more abrasive than I remember.

Reactions: MakoSlade

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
People can claim Quinn hughes might be better, but this far he is a train wreck in his own zone, missing Tanev badly. Smith's game is more complete.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I mean, I'm thrilled with Smith but he still has a lot of work to do.

Like Jack in his first season, I see an unwillingness to engage physically sometimes - he tries to win battles with his hands and skill but sometimes you have to take your medicine and fight for a 50/50 puck. That's a common flaw with smaller, skilled players so I expect it to be ironed out over time, especially because Smith is such a sharp mind. And once again, similar to Jack, I think he could simplify and settle for simple plays instead of trying to surprise every once in a while.

To me, all truly great defenders in this league - Lidstrom, Stevens, Pronger, etc. - realize that executing the high percentage play at an incredible rate is what is going to make for a long career. Playmaking is great and has to be a part of every young defender's game now, but it's the simple efficiencies that pile up over time which allow you to play 30 minutes a game and be the horse your team needs.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
People can claim Quinn hughes might be better, but this far he is a train wreck in his own zone, missing Tanev badly. Smith's game is more complete.

Funny you say that since Smith was getting absolutely bullied by forecheckers all last night.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
*Rookie defenseman has the second best start to his career of any defenseman in league history*

Yeah whatever that doesn't count cuz he's sheltered and actually he was secretly bad in those games because I said so

*Rookie defenseman has one bad game*

HOLY SHIT THIS KID IS PATHETIC WHAT AN EMBARASSMENT

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Haven't watched much North Division. He's struggling?

Dominance is a known leafs fans, with history of negative comments towards Canucks, I am a Canuck fan, he's not struggling, on the Corsi which you can see for yourself Naturalstatrick.com his Fenwick is 65% which means every time Hughes is out there 65% of the time we have puck possession, he's also generating the most offence out of the entire Canuck D core. Team is struggling is a whole, worst dman on our main team right now is Myers. He was looking pretty good with Hamonic, but he got hurt, and now we are stuck with rotating him with Myers. I will bet my account he didn't even watch the Canucks. Our games are blacked out his region. Just want to step up for my player against bull shit Leafs fans are throwing our way.

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Dominance is a known leafs fans, with history of negative comments towards Canucks, I am a Canuck fan, he's not struggling, on the Corsi which you can see for yourself Naturalstatrick.com his Fenwick is 65% which means every time Hughes is out there 65% of the time we have puck possession, he's also generating the most offence out of the entire Canuck D core. Team is struggling is a whole, worst dman on our main team right now is Myers. He was looking pretty good with Hamonic, but he got hurt, and now we are stuck with rotating him with Myers. I will bet my account he didn't even watch the Canucks. Our games are blacked out his region. Just want to step up for my player against bull shit Leafs fans are throwing our way.
I live in Western Canada right now and like the Canucks, so...

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Are pp minutes sheltered?

The best way to determine sheltered minutes in total time on ice. He is still playing on the bottom pair, PP minutes and PK have nothing to do with sheltering a rookie. The last game against Philadelphia was the first time he broke the 20 minute threshold.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
There are a lot of similarities between the two, but Quinn's skating ability is just so far ahead of Smith's, that its hard to view them on same tier.

But so far, it appears most prospect evaluations may have underestimated Smith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad