LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Doughty stepped in immediately with #1 minutes. I expect Dahlin to do the same.
It will be interesting. Doughty, while playing at a lower-level the year prior, didn't have to re-learn angles. That usually is a big-step for Euro defenders. I can't think of one who came over and was a number one in year one. Plus, Doughty is pretty much the only guy to do it in the past 20 or more years, and he really didn't cement himself as a bonafide number 1 defender league wide until year 2.

Reactions: Oneiro

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
If you looked at the 2018 ASG rosters, he’d be maybe the 5th best D there now?
What are you basing this on? There are lots and lots of NHL D that would've had a better season than Dahlin in Sweden this year.

I don't doubt Dahlin making an immediate NHL impact and he's obviously going to be much better next year, but that's just a weird comment.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
What are you basing this on? There are lots and lots of NHL D that would've had a better season than Dahlin in Sweden this year.

I don't doubt Dahlin making an immediate NHL impact and he's obviously going to be much better next year, but that's just a weird comment.

Based on my opinion, which is what everybody is doing here.

In a list of:
Doughty
Green
Karlsson
Hanafin
Werenski
Letang
Klingberg
Subban
Pietrangelo
Burns
Ekman-Larsson

I would rather have Dahlin right now (not even counting age or contracts)ahead of OEK, Letang, Green, Hanafin, Werenski & Klingberg

Added: if he’s a generational talent, it behooves you to try and get your head around what his pecking order is even now.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Dahlin should really stay another year in Sweden. Let him develop in a top role in Frölunda and become the top D in SHL before moving over. Something he clearly is not this season. Extremly promising player but with some work to do, as it should be in his age.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Dahlin should really stay another year in Sweden. Let him develop in a top role in Frölunda and become the top D in SHL before moving over. Something he clearly is not this season. Extremly promising player but with some work to do, as it should be in his age.

This is a player that will be better served learning on the job in the NHL.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Based on my opinion, which is what everybody is doing here.

In a list of:
Doughty
Green
Karlsson
Hanafin
Werenski
Letang
Klingberg
Subban
Pietrangelo
Burns
Ekman-Larsson

I would rather have Dahlin right now (not even counting age or contracts)ahead of OEK, Letang, Green, Hanafin, Werenski & Klingberg

Added: if he’s a generational talent, it behooves you to try and get your head around what his pecking order is even now.

Dahlin is certainly not better than OEL, Klingberg, and Werenski. Show me what he has done at the NHL level to prove he is better (oh wait you can't)

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011

If he was that good I'd expect he'd be even remotely close to being one of the best defenders playing in Europe. He's not.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Some quality talent evaluators here, then.
I would imagine that a player better than John Klingberg would get some ice time in Team Sweden devoid of all NHL players. Dahlin isn't going to play in the WC either. I'm sure the terrible talent evaluators Team Sweden has will make a call to Klingberg though.

Reactions: Seiza

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Some quality talent evaluators here, then.
What you are saying is kind of ludicrous. Dahlin isn't better than some of the best nhl defenders right now. Could he play with them in the nhl at 17? Yes, he would probably fit in, but by no means is he better than them.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I don't think some of you people realize just how big of a step kids with this talent can take from year to year. It wouldn't surprise me if he was an impact D in the NHL next year. It's probably going to take him upwards of 10 games to adjust, but he'll get there. McDavid didn't look amazing his first few games either, but he got increasingly better as the season wore on as he was able to figure stuff out. Same will happen with Dahlin. He should absolutely be in the NHL next year. Playing another year in SHL would just be holding him back. Kids like this need to be challenged, because in contrast to most prospects they thrive on adversity and rise up above it.

Reactions: Aerrol

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I would imagine that a player better than John Klingberg would get some ice time in Team Sweden devoid of all NHL players. Dahlin isn't going to play in the WC either. I'm sure the terrible talent evaluators Team Sweden has will make a call to Klingberg though.

Well this kind of a terrible argument. Pure appeal to authority. Guys make misses too. Wasn't it not too long ago Swedish brass brought Tallinder over guys like Hedman to the Olympics? Didn't team Sweden just take Kronwall over guys like Lindholm and the aforementioned Klingberg to the World Cup? Sometimes they DO get it wrong. Stop appealing to authority.

"Clearly he's not good, the people in charge won't pick this 18 year old over every other professional player they have available!"

And I think he's pretty good. He's having the best u18 season in the SHL in, well, ever. He's got similar numbers to Hedman, but at a younger age. I think I'll take him.

Reactions: NoQuinn

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Well this kind of a terrible argument. Pure appeal to authority. Guys make misses too. Wasn't it not too long ago Swedish brass brought Tallinder over guys like Hedman to the Olympics? Didn't team Sweden just take Kronwall over guys like Lindholm and the aforementioned Klingberg to the World Cup? Sometimes they DO get it wrong. Stop appealing to authority.

"Clearly he's not good, the people in charge won't pick this 18 year old over every other professional player they have available!"

And I think he's pretty good. He's having the best u18 season in the SHL in, well, ever. He's got similar numbers to Hedman, but at a younger age. I think I'll take him.
I think that it's not terrible talent evaluation to suggest that the player who wasn't top 20 in defenceman scoring in SHL is not currently a better player than the player who is 2nd in the f***ing NHL.

Clearly the numbers make it absurd to suggest that Dahlin would be better than Klingberg, and Team Sweden's professional opinion just backs that up. But sure, we're all just terrible talent evaluators and there's a conspiracy against the poor kid.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Ah yes those great talent evaluators who didn't take the best forward in Sweden

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Why’s that? B/c hes swedish?
More his all around game. I also think he's not going to quite produce up to his talent level early in his career, in fact I think he'll be outproduced by Hughes early on- though Dahlin will be the better all around player. Yet once, he puts it together, he's going to be a monster as his talent level is sublime.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
I don't get to watch Rasmus as much as a lot of you guys here, but an I way off base saying that I always get a Pronger vibe when I watch him?? :dunno:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
They are terrible, not saying the Dahlin statement isn’t as bad.

I believe AHL/third pairing role in the NHL is the best way to go. He doesn’t have much to learn in the SHL.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I am wondering how good this kid really is? Would he be able to turn around the team that he plays for next season? I dont think he can have as much impact as McDavid as he plays one of the hardest positions. I mean even look at McDavid he still needs good players around him. I think the important thing is that hockey is a team sport and its also about the quality of the organization.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think he's going to be a good 1. I think he'll be like Hedman and develop into one of the top defenseman in the league.

Reactions: LDN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad