LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
this is becoming ridiculous
expectations are gonna be through the roof

at what point is he a bust ? gets under 60 points ? 50 ? ?

i wonder how many commenting have seen him play live

i have seen him 2 x WJ and he was good not standout

this is setting up for dissapointment

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011

I think it's unrealistic to assume that he's going to have a similar impact as McDavid or even Matthews right off the bat. As in being one of the best/best of his position right from the get go. There is just no precedent of defencemen prospects doing that unlike with forwards, so definitely if you think he's going to be a Norris contender in hist first year you'll most likely end up dissapointed.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think it's unrealistic to assume that he's going to have a similar impact as McDavid or even Matthews right off the bat. As in being one of the best/best of his position right from the get go. There is just no precedent of defencemen prospects doing that unlike with forwards, so definitely if you think he's going to be a Norris contender in hist first year you'll most likely end up dissapointed.
In the modern NHL. There are historical examples in pre-Sun Belt expansion. Bobby Orr was 3rd in Norris voting and 6th in Hart voting as an 18-year-old. Ray Bourque was 4th in Norris voting as a rookie. But, we are talking about a top 5 player of all time and a top 20 player of all time. Realistically, if he's top 3 in Calder voting next year it should be viewed as a success. Transitioning to the NHL as a Euro defender isn't easy, and in recent years no player has been a legitimate number 1 in their first post-draft year (Doughty is the closest), and Doughty is really the only one to cement himself as one in their D+2 year.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Ok. I will tread lightly here.
Is Dahlin injured?
He’s done for the year?
Won’t play in u18 WC?
Won’t play in WC?
Says health is good, just wants a break from a lot of hockey and a long year, and to do what’s best for himself.
Red flag????
I counted 74 games on Eliteprospects.
I could be wrong but that is about where ALL junior aged players would be.
This includes the WJC.
I get that he could be tired mentally and it’s his right to play when and where he wants.
After all, he’s ranked first overall in every list. He doesn’t need to play in u18 or WC.
But he should. All greats and potential greats do. ALMOST WOTHOUT EXCEPTION. If he’s not injured, and he very well could be, I am afraid this is a blemish on his record and his character.
He’s great.
But true greatness comes from sacrifice.
Is 74 games in a year way to many?
I feel he’s getting bad advice from his agents....or perhaps it’s good.
It won’t affect his draft, but it affects how he looks to hockey fans in my opinion.
Again, trying to tread lightly.

Reactions: Ippenator

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
What’s hostile about that post?
Wow you people see things through rose coloured glasses.....when you want to.
I don’t agree with him not playing.
Unless of course he’s injured.
It’s easy to read. He’s lapped the field and he’s mailing it in. Probably smart.
I just don’t agree with it.
Not hostile.
Instead of attacking me, why not give me your two cents?

Reactions: Ippenator

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Ok. I will tread lightly here.
Is Dahlin injured?
He’s done for the year?
Won’t play in u18 WC?
Won’t play in WC?
Says health is good, just wants a break from a lot of hockey and a long year, and to do what’s best for himself.
Red flag????
I counted 74 games on Eliteprospects.
I could be wrong but that is about where ALL junior aged players would be.
This includes the WJC.
I get that he could be tired mentally and it’s his right to play when and where he wants.
After all, he’s ranked first overall in every list. He doesn’t need to play in u18 or WC.
But he should. All greats and potential greats do. ALMOST WOTHOUT EXCEPTION. If he’s not injured, and he very well could be, I am afraid this is a blemish on his record and his character.
He’s great.
But true greatness comes from sacrifice.
Is 74 games in a year way to many?
I feel he’s getting bad advice from his agents....or perhaps it’s good.
It won’t affect his draft, but it affects how he looks to hockey fans in my opinion.
Again, trying to tread lightly.
is this a poem?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
what does this guy do better than other dmen in the draft? I keep reading Hughes is a better skater, Boqvist has a better shot, Bouchard has the best vision, etc

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
what does this guy do better than other dmen in the draft? I keep reading Hughes is a better skater, Boqvist has a better shot, Bouchard has the best vision, etc

Hes the complete package and is elite at everything.
Vision, shot, skating, physicality, size, iq, etc.

There are concerns on Hughes because of his size, concerns on Bouchard because of his defensive play.

Dahlin doesnt have any concerns.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015

He was literally the best defenceman in the tournament......... As a seventeen year old...

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
It may be an enigma wrapped in a riddle, but it’s the truth.
I think he’s great.
Just don’t like the decision.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Despite my avatar, my superstitious and preemptive emotional tempering approach to this draft lottery is to not even expect the Wings to win the Dahlin sweepstakes at all so I will decrease my highly probable disappointment.

Reactions: Castle8130

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Dahlin still have ways to go before we know he did actually deserve that #1, and sometimes I think he is a bit overrrated. But he does have an extra ordinary game in him, and he is good in in both ends, could be attractive to teams to know that he will probably be a good 2 way player.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is he going to attend the draft lottery?
He'll do an interview for the broadcast, probably from Sweden. They probably also interview Svetch if he speaks English well enough, if not they'll probably interview Tkachuk. Don't think he'd show up. I mean, McDavid was there but he lived in Toronto where it was filmed. I also think with how awkward his response was (which he talked about more the next year going into the 2016 lottery) that prospects may avoid doing it.

It has to be awkward finding out where you are probably going to live for the next 8 year on live television and then asked about it right after.

The other thing is, how is he training for the draft and draft combine. It would be pointless to interfere with a training regime in Sweden to fly to Toronto in late April, fly back to Sweden, fly to Buffalo for the combine, most likely fly back to Sweden, then fly to Dallas for the draft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad