LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, NCAA (2018, 7th, VAN) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Outside of Jack Hughes, will they be taking any college guys on the team?

Also thanks for understanding that I meant the World Championships* and not the World Jrs
I would have to imagine if they get a lot of no answers from NHL dmen, then Adam Fox is pretty much going to be handed a spot here. Outside of Jack Hughes and Fox, maybe the #3 goalie could be a college kid as well..

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
This kid is going to bring asses out of their seats, and as a Hawks fan not really to happy about it, but as a hockey fan this is going to be a special player to watch only get better.
Kinda unfortunate in a way that none of them are jerks like some of the Canucks from yesteryear (Kesler, Bieksa etc.). Harder for fans of other teams to hate :laugh:;)

We need another Hawks - Nucks series (or three...) to rebuild some hatred!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I thought I remember getting an alert from the score app this morning but can’t find it now. Odd dream I must have had lol
he has been banged up as well, so it wouldn't shock me if he said no, just wanted to see if it was already out as he is 100% been invited to play -and Chris Drury said names will start dropping by the weekend with players that have said yes or no...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Kinda unfortunate in a way that none of them are jerks like some of the Canucks from yesteryear (Kesler, Bieksa etc.). Harder for fans of other teams to hate :laugh:;)

We need another Hawks - Nucks series (or three...) to rebuild some hatred!
I think you will be a pain in our ass again soon...a more likable pain in the ass, but on skill and talent, both Hawks and Canucks are heading in the right directions with their younger players. I would really like to see what Demko can do in the NHL next year, hopefully he at least gets the backup job.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I think the best aspect of Hughes defense is going to be his offense. by having the puck on his stick and getting it out of the zone, other teams are going to have a tough time scoring when he is on the ice. He also uses his stick well, and positions himself well.

He is going to have some brutal give aways, and get worked down low in our zone often as he develops, but the dynamic offence he provides will hopefully offset.

That was a great debut. If that's the level of play thathe brings most nights, he is going to be an absolute stud for us.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I think the best aspect of Hughes defense is going to be his offense. by having the puck on his stick and getting it out of the zone, other teams are going to have a tough time scoring when he is on the ice. He also uses his stick well, and positions himself well.

He is going to have some brutal give aways, and get worked down low in our zone often as he develops, but the dynamic offence he provides will hopefully offset.

That was a great debut. If that's the level of play thathe brings most nights, he is going to be an absolute stud for us.

Ironic that it was a veteran supposedly known for "the little things" that gave it away for that goal (and it was Hughes that got out to the man first, even though it wasn't his position to cover). But yeah, your point remains.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Ironic that it was a veteran supposedly known for "the little things" that gave it away for that goal (and it was Hughes that got out to the man first, even though it wasn't his position to cover). But yeah, your point remains.

I can't wait till we send Little things down to the ECHL this summer.

Hughes is going to have a ton of highlight reel dangles and rushes on high risk plays. That is going to be the best part of his game and why he is going to be fun to watch. The odd time he's going to get poke checked, lose an edge, or have the puck bounce off his stick and it is going to look really ugly. He is going to be high risk/high reward and we'll have to be OK with it when he coughs it up and it end up in our net.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
this thread is hilarious, why is there is so much vitriol from other fans regarding Hughes?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Wish he would've buried that shot and there was room there too. Getting a goal of the year candidate in your first game wouldn't be so bad right? Beautiful assist though. That move off the back of the net was so smooth

Kids so talented. Excited to see him play tomorrow against the Stars/also nervous

All of the unnecessary Hughes vs Makar threads next season will be interesting :laugh:

Pettersson + Hughes + Boeser + whoever the Canucks draft this season + Horvat + whoever I'm missing. I'd say that's a pretty solid step in the right direction

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I think this guy is going to be good as soon as he realizes he’s not as good as he thinks he is. That might sound like a strange thing to say, but I think if you compare his play at the WC last year and his play with Michigan and at the WJC the past two years, there’s a big difference.

At the WC, he didn’t try to do too much. He was making smart decisions in his puck handling. He wasn’t trying to dangle three guys in the neutral zone. He has the capability to pull off this type of thing occasionally, but so do a lot of players. Those players have learned to realize they cannot play like that with any consistency.

At the WJC the past two years and with Michigan, he played as if he was playing pond hockey. A lot of the time, it would come off. He was always one of the most talented players on the ice, but it also contributed to below-average defensive play.

i agree with this. in his post-game interview he was talking about how much fun he had playing because the players are so much smarter. you know that wasn't rehearsed because it throws a bit of shade at his old michigan teammates. what he meant was that he could fully play his game now and others could mostly keep up.

what really excites me is what hughes will do for pettersson and vice versa. my most memorable moment of the night was when hughes shocked pettersson in ot with a ridiculous backhand feed pettersson missed because he did not expect it. i have thought pettersson was worn down this season but it is more than that, he has become more conservative as the season has worn on. i think that will change when pettersson has hughes to work with.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
this thread is hilarious, why is there is so much vitriol from other fans regarding Hughes?
Likely because of the Hf meme of Canucks fans overhyping their own players, like Leafs fans. It only re-ignited it with Pettersson, and opposing fans are predicting it will be the same with Hughes. There's also a tinge of jealousy there, I think, but it's mostly because a lot of Canucks fans have been insufferable in their eyes with the hype on the main boards.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Likely because of the Hf meme of Canucks fans overhyping their own players, like Leafs fans. It only re-ignited it with Pettersson, and opposing fans are predicting it will be the same with Hughes. There's also a tinge of jealousy there, I think, but it's mostly because a lot of Canucks fans have been insufferable in their eyes with the hype on the main boards.

Extremely odd, it's only happening now because Canucks have high end prospects. Every teams fan does this. The only place I see other teams prospects celebrated without any animosity is on reddit.com/r/hockey

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
My thoughts are pretty simple...…..
as a Canuck fan, we have never had a elite Offensive Dman
Never!
What I seen out of Quinn in his first pro game gives me hope!
A lot of hope!
Man, he has feet and hands....smart too! Ficken Quick!
Oh, I hope it lasts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad