LD Owen Power - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
To be honest, if I'm Buffalo, I draft him and let him do the extra year or two in college if he wants.
That team, especially once they trade Eichel and likely Reino, will be an absolute tire fire. Keep kids away from that, it's why teams have been successful in their rebuilds and why others haven't.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
I am not a scout, nor do I pretend to know a lot about Owen Power but reading this scouting report that Bob McKenzie published earlier this year, am I missing something? Shouldn't you want your #1 overall to have a higher ceiling?

He is incredibly mobile and agile for such a big man. While he’s not considered an elite point-producing offensive talent nor is he regarded as a physically-punishing defensive or shutdown defenceman, he’s viewed as well above average in all the fundamental areas — skating, skill, hockey sense and competitiveness, as well as the ability to move the puck, get shots on goal and defend in his own zone...And did we mention he’s 6-foot-5 1/2 and 213 pounds?"

https://www.tsn.ca/owen-power-the-unanimous-no-1-in-tsn-s...

Reactions: Legionnaire

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I am not a scout, nor do I pretend to know a lot about Owen Power but reading this scouting report that Bob McKenzie published earlier this year, am I missing something? Shouldn't you want your #1 overall to have a higher ceiling?

He is incredibly mobile and agile for such a big man. While he’s not considered an elite point-producing offensive talent nor is he regarded as a physically-punishing defensive or shutdown defenceman, he’s viewed as well above average in all the fundamental areas — skating, skill, hockey sense and competitiveness, as well as the ability to move the puck, get shots on goal and defend in his own zone...And did we mention he’s 6-foot-5 1/2 and 213 pounds?"

I think that is a fair take. To me, Power projects as a Parayko type. A valuable player to be sure but missing a couple of elements that would elevate him to superstar status. That said, it's not a "sexy" draft so I'm not surprised guys like he and Beniers are so highly regarded. They are projectable if not a little "safe." A guy like Luke Hughes probably has a higher ceiling but he has more warts. It will be fascinating to see how things unfold.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

I feel like that is exactly what I want in a dman, a good blend of offense and defense.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think that is a fair take. To me, Power projects as a Parayko type. A valuable player to be sure but missing a couple of elements that would elevate him to superstar status. That said, it's not a "sexy" draft so I'm not surprised guys like he and Beniers are so highly regarded. They are projectable if not a little "safe." A guy like Luke Hughes probably has a higher ceiling but he has more warts. It will be fascinating to see how things unfold.

Power actually is actually much more raw than people seem to acknowledge -- I see him as a risky pick, but with the higher ceiling. His ceiling is through the roof.

The reason he doesn't use his size is the same reason he has such a high ceiling. If he ever does figure that aspect out...the sky's the limit. If he doesn't figure it out, he's an average offensive dman, which is basically a bust for 1OA.

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
To be honest, if I'm Buffalo, I draft him and let him do the extra year or two in college if he wants.
That team, especially once they trade Eichel and likely Reino, will be an absolute tire fire. Keep kids away from that, it's why teams have been successful in their rebuilds and why others haven't.

If Buffalo puts him in the NHL it would be criminal -- he's clearly not ready. The new Buffalo GM has already said he's not rushing the 1OA though, so I doubt they even think about it.

College is a great place to develop, they're probably happy he's in such a good program.

Reactions: Volica

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Power actually is actually much more raw than people seem to acknowledge -- I see him as a risky pick, but with the higher ceiling. His ceiling is through the roof.

Power is the exact opposite of most really big prospects -- people are usually worried that they only reason they have success is because of their size. But Power plays like he's 5'10", and doesn't use his size at all.

The reason he doesn't use his size is the same reason he has such a high ceiling. If he ever does figure that aspect out...the sky's the limit. If he doesn't figure it out, he's an average offensive dman, which is basically a bust for 1OA.

I'm not saying he's tapped out. Obviously he has room to grow, get faster, work on his shot, etc. That said, if people are looking for him to fundamentally change his personality/style of play they might end up disappointed. That's why I compared him to Parayko. He's a tiger that hasn't changed his stripes...and that's okay as long as your expectations are check.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm not saying he's tapped out. Obviously he has room to grow, get faster, work on his shot, etc. That said, if people are looking for him to fundamentally change his personality/style of play they might end up disappointed. That's why I compared him to Parayko. He's a tiger that hasn't changed his stripes...and that's okay as long as your expectations are check.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to disagree, just kind of adding to your point.

To me, Parayko is what he becomes if he doesn't figure it out. His ceiling is astronomical if he can address the "average" traits he has, and use his size more. I guess his value as a prospect depends on how likely he is to be able to do that. With his IQ, I think it's possible, but having a hard time deciding if it's probable.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If Buffalo puts him in the NHL it would be criminal -- he's clearly not ready. The new Buffalo GM has already said he's not rushing the 1OA though, so I doubt they even think about it.

College is a great place to develop, they're probably happy he's in such a good program.

You underestimate the arrogance/stupidity of many NHL teams.

Despite overwhelming evidence that playing a second year in college is better for all but the most elite of players (guys who step into the NHL as good players immediately) teams still believe that their development system will somehow buck the trend.

I fully expect to lose at least one of our Big 4 from this years draft to an early signing and then have to try and explain to said fan of that team why the player is a disappointment when they come here and post about it three years from now.

Cale Makar, Quinn Hughes, Charlie McAvoy, Cole Caufield, Zach Werenski, Spencer Knight, Josh Norris, Brock Boeser, Alex Tuch, Nick Schamlz.

Why would anyone not want to send a player back to college for a 2nd year with results like that? Mind boggling.

Reactions: MuckOG

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Nope, try again
"Buffalo let’s guys develop in college all the time, it’s pretty typical"

That doesnt mention specific GM's,

Yes, but the one GM is the only one who rushed anyone, unless you go back to Myers.

Are you able to read? What’s your point? Everyone agrees that one prospect was rushed, but in general, it didn’t happen any other times, and the GM who did it was fired.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
You do not know the chain of events that it resulted in rushing him. Such a dumb decision.

set this organization back years.

Yeah, I know those sequence of events all too well. They may have even taken said players advice too literally about his replacement.

Last edited:

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

You can’t draft Gretzky 1 OA if he isn’t in the draft. You can only draft who is there that year. Power is far from a finished product. No one knows what his ceiling will be. But there is no way in the world he develops better playing for Buffalo next year rather then at Michigan. Let him play monster minutes, dominate, go to the WJCs. He will be a much better player for Buffalo when he is 22 if he develops for a few years in his late teens.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Lol but you can't say that Mississauga is an hour and a half from both Toronto and Buffalo...
I live in the GTA, I drive DT Toronto everyday.

takes around 15-30 minutes depending on where in Mississauga you're going From toronto (East / west side)

it's around 1.5 hour to buffalo. i go to at least 5 times a year to see the sabres unfortunately lol.

Now if it's 5pm trying to get on spadina onramp going west bound. yeah you'll be sitting for an 45 minutes before you hit kiplin

With all that being said. Powers is from mississauga he won't refuse to sign/report to buffalo if drafted, give me a break. Some people just like shitting on all things buffalo.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Go back to college
But then you only have 2 more college years before free agency
DURRRRR. Sick joke.

I think another year at MICH will be great for him. Former Sabre Steve Shields is the player dev guy over there so I am sure they have alteast a solid connection

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

Power is the exact opposite of most really big prospects -- people are usually worried that they only reason they have success is because of their size. But Power plays like he's 5'10", and doesn't use his size at all.

This reads as though his floor is Cody Franson and his ceiling is Shea Weber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad