GDT: WCSF | GM 3 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Sunday, May 12th | 6:30PM PST | SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Cole needs to step it up. He was great in the Nashville series not sure what it is in this one pucks just deflecting off him left and right and into the net.

That was a very winnable game. We just let up and were far too passive in the third. The McDavid beakaway goal rattled them but we could have won that with any sort of pressure.

I do still get nervous when the top line for the Oilers spends an extended amount of time in our zone, but they've done a good job of limiting chances. Overall I've come away from both games thinking we can/will win this series.
That was when the game changed and they took over the third. Afraid to play offense and take penalties.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Hronek has completely soured. Just a mess defensively, scrambly, and can’t make a play to save his life. I’ll go as high as 6.25M because he “works” with Hughes but it’s so clear we need to sign Zadorov. Maybe Hronek is moved for a forward or a first round pick for cap space and we poach Tanev and sign a forward.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
While the Oilers are most certainly beatable due to all the holes in their lineup, lower end goaltending and a lack of depth, they're not an easy out in the first rounds.

The adjustment for game two is precisely what they need to do to win. They don't have any other options. Load up one line with their best D pairing and focus entirely on offence. Given McDavid's speed, the ease at which four of the guys on the ice will fall down, the tendency the NHL has for handing out penalties when you don't have the puck and an absolute beauty of a PP, you've got a lot going your way when you're playing that line for 40% of the game.

The Canucks, playing well, should be able. to beat this approach, but a lot has to go right. Hogs and Mikheyev simply have to be better and score on their seemingly endless chances, and Chaos and Soucy need to bring their best. No running out of position for hits and the forwards need to be available for quicker passes out of the zone.

The Canucks did not play well from about the half way point of the game yesterday, but they've got a very good idea now how to improve their play. As it was, an overtime loss was really better than they should expect. We'll see how they adapt.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Is nobody willing to consider that (at very least in the first 1/2 - 3/4 of the season ... Hronek helped improve Hughes game as much as Hughes improved Hronek's?

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Is nobody willing to consider that (at very least in the first 1/2 - 3/4 of the season ... Hronek helped improve Hughes game as much as Hughes improved Hronek's?

the knock on hronek is that he makes bad decisions under pressure and he shies from physical play. he was good in the first half because the canucks were blowing teams out and there was no pressure. now that the stakes are higher and players are more willing to put their bodies on the line his flaws are exposed. he's just not a very reliable player

Reactions: Indiana

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Agreed but that said i think if you want or expect this Zaddy for 82 games you’ll be disappointed.

You’re wrong. He’s scoring a goal a game for the rest of his career! :p:

I do think he’s showing he’s capable of being a top four guy, though - there was some question about that given his deployment after arriving in Vancouver.

afrocentric

Apr 29, 2010

There is no doubt that Hronek had some impact on Hughes' success this year. But the poise he showed in the first half of the season seems to have all but evaporated.

I think from my perspective, you can't discount the merits of his early play, and he deserves to be recognized for that. But the position his agent took when the supposed negotiations of a contract extension didn't take into account the reverse, that is to say how much Hughes played a role in Hronek's production.

If he could carry his own pairing it would be a different story, but to turn down 6.5x8 and holding out for more, only to collapse in the last 1/2 - 1/3 of the season and be a complete no show or even be detrimental to your team in the playoffs has me wondering if the Canucks may have dodged a bit of a bullet on Walsh and Hronek turning that offer down.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
You’re wrong. He’s scoring a goal a game for the rest of his career! :p:

I do think he’s showing he’s capable of being a top four guy, though - there was some question about that given his deployment after arriving in Vancouver.

It’s incredible how far above his class he’s punching, makes me think there’s something there worth a sizeable amount…but not this. He’s out of his mind and maybe mine too with what he’s done this postseason

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
1715453031114.png

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It’s incredible how far above his class he’s punching, makes me think there’s something there worth a sizeable amount…but not this. He’s out of his mind and maybe mine too with what he’s done this postseason

He's also still making his mistakes, they're just ending up visually inconsequential at the moment.

Love the elements he has brought, and he's obviously feeling it at the moment, but anyone acting like there isn't an enormous risk of this being a player who you later regret handing a big cheque off of a playoff run is out of their minds.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

Might see some shuffles in Game 3.

In no way should Karlsson be an option at this juncture with relatively healthy options. I’d rather see Hoglander stay in with PDG out and put in Podkolzin or Aman or rawdog Lekkerimaki with minimal minutes. Karlsson is an even bigger nothing burger.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Stop or contain McDavid, Draisaitl and Hyman you win the game. If they don't they won't. The Oilers aren't even that intimidating. The Canucks are on par or better on 5 on 5 than the Oilers, just have to stay out of the box. I like our chances, just need to play a complete game and don't give the big 3 "especially McDavid" many opportunities. Also need a little cooperation from the refs. Anyways I am excited.
Go Canucks

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Might see some shuffles in Game 3.

Good, Hoglander has been doing nothing but cardio out there.
We need some fresh blood.

Lmao it’s funny because it’s true

I went to Edmonton twice in my lifetime, nothing against the fine people of Edmonton but it's your standard prairie big city. Nothing more, nothing less. You gotta dig deep to find something to do, unless you got family there...there is nothing much left there.

West Edmonton Mall got boring within 15 minutes, downtown is pretty meh. For someone who was born and raised in Winnipeg, its the same old.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Lindholm-Miller-Boeser

Hog-Pettersson-Suter

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

PDG-Lafferty-Mikheyev

Oilers have a loaded line, play Lindholm with Miller & Boeser as a great match up line.

Mikheyev is a perimeter player and has been invisible the entire series drop him to the 4th line and play Suter with Pettersson & Hoglander that line was great when briefly put together in the regular season.

Reactions: crazychimp

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
If they were to bench one of the two I’d bench Mikheyev, at least with Hoglander he seems engaged in the scrums obviously has to step his game up further but Mikheyev is just not even noticeable.

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Cole needs to step it up. He was great in the Nashville series not sure what it is in this one pucks just deflecting off him left and right and into the net.

That was when the game changed and they took over the third. Afraid to play offense and take penalties.

Cole hasn't been good, but on the last play there were two Oilers waiting for the puck to get through. Should have done a better job redirecting it or let Silovs take it.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Mikheyev isn't hurting the team on the defensive side of the game but man. All the chances that have died on his stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad