LD Owen Power - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not sure why he is doing that when no guarantees that he will be number 1 next year. This just sounds to me like he doesn't want to play in Buffalo. That sucks so much for Buffalo. Finally get chosen to get number 1 pick and the top guy doesn't even want to come out for the draft. When does that ever happen?

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Not sure why he is doing that when no guarantees that he will be number 1 next year. This just sounds to me like he doesn't want to play in Buffalo. That sucks so much for Buffalo. Finally get chosen to get number 1 pick and the top guy doesn't even want to come out for the draft. When does that ever happen?
Wrong
“That said, the Mississauga, Ont. native made it clear he would welcome the chance to join the Sabres.

"It'd be awesome," he said. "It's nice and close to home, so lots of family would be able to come down ... I would go to games when I was younger and watch the Leafs versus Sabres down in Buffalo. Obviously, it's two big fan bases and a pretty good rivalry."

Power solidified his spot atop the draft rankings at the recent IIHF World Championship, averaging more than 20 minutes of ice time per game while helping Team Canada win an unlikely gold medal. Power spoke to TSN about his experience in Latvia and also revealed what he'll be working on this summer.”

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is a sign of Power's maturity and independence, IMO. An immature, dependent kid would answer "I'll do whatever the team wants me to do." The fact that he didn't answer like that would, if I were a GM, make me want him all the more because it suggests to me that he's the real deal. Certainly, there can be a problem if a prospect is too independent (see Fox and Vesey), but I think that it's more likely that he's simply signaling to teams that what he wants matters, too. The team that drafts him should respect that and not push him to sign immediately. He might change his mind and do that, anyways, but this is sort of a heads up that he doesn't want to be pushed too hard to change it. If you do that, he might resent it and it could lead to issues down the road. The best thing to do, IMO, would be to give the kid your full support in his decision to return to college, with the mutual understanding that he'll turn pro at the end of the season.

Now, the question is "will Buffalo be that accommodating?" We don't know. If they aren't willing to be, then they shouldn't draft him. That's sort of what Power is suggesting here, IMO, though not specifically to Buffalo, but to any team who might draft him. If Buffalo ignores it, thinking that he'll change his mind after they sweet talk and pressure him to sign, gets upset when he goes back to Michigan, then badgers him all season and repeats the routine next Summer, then, yeah, he might sour on them and start thinking of going the Fox/Vesey route. In that case, Buffalo would have no one to blame but themselves. Here's hoping that they're not that stupid and that they draft him only if they're willing to listen to what he wants to do.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Wrong
“That said, the Mississauga, Ont. native made it clear he would welcome the chance to join the Sabres.

"It'd be awesome," he said. "It's nice and close to home, so lots of family would be able to come down ... I would go to games when I was younger and watch the Leafs versus Sabres down in Buffalo. Obviously, it's two big fan bases and a pretty good rivalry."

Power solidified his spot atop the draft rankings at the recent IIHF World Championship, averaging more than 20 minutes of ice time per game while helping Team Canada win an unlikely gold medal. Power spoke to TSN about his experience in Latvia and also revealed what he'll be working on this summer.”

I know he says that but I don't know if I believe it 100%. It's not out of question in my opinion. But maybe he does just want to finish college and if that is the case and he really means what he says then good for him. People can see why I would question it though right? I mean they haven't been miss popular lately.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
If he's posturing, sure; if he isn't, I don't get it. You can get an education whenever you want man. Sign the ELC, get that serious top-prospect ELC money, and chase the dream. Even worst case scenario you have financial security to get you through the next period of your life.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
If he's posturing, sure; if he isn't, I don't get it. You can get an education whenever you want man. Sign the ELC, get that serious top-prospect ELC money, and chase the dream. Even worst case scenario you have financial security to get you through the next period of your life.
It’s all about proper development not an education necessary. He’s going to Michigan not Harvard.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Wrong

it would be awesome to play in buffalo...... because it’s close to Toronto.

you know where else is close to Toronto?

Toronto

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
it would be awesome to play in buffalo...... because it’s close to Toronto.

you know where else is close to Toronto?

Toronto

he’s from Mississauga. Which is an hour and a half from both Toronto and Buffalo.

let’s settle it by having him go to the team to most recently win a playoff series between the two.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
he’s from Mississauga. Which is an hour and a half from both Toronto and Buffalo.

let’s settle it by having him go to the team to most recently win a playoff series between the two.

huh? Google maps is your friend. Let him go to ufa in 4 years and he will decide.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
It’s all about proper development not an education necessary. He’s going to Michigan not Harvard.

Michigan, although not an Ivy, is still a top 25 university in the US. Definitely not a slouch of a college whatsoever. Very very good school

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I know he says that but I don't know if I believe it 100%. It's not out of question in my opinion. But maybe he does just want to finish college and if that is the case and he really means what he says then good for him. People can see why I would question it though right? I mean they haven't been miss popular lately.
Lol when the Sabres drafted Eichel he said the same exact thing. He wasn’t sure if he was going pro or back for another year at BU… ya well that lasted a couple days before he was signing his NHL contract.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Why are people acting like he dominated in University this past season?

Plenty of prospects have turned down contracts to return to school
hell North Dakota 1st round prospects literally do it all the time

Reactions: slumpy43

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Mississauga is one of the closest suburbs of Toronto. Its like a 10-15 min drive

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It's his career he should do what he wants with it. College is a great place to have some fun and hone your skills where the stakes aren't so high.

Power has a skillset that will get him paid basically indefinitely. I think he's very smart to want to ease in, especially considering where the Sabres are at organization wise.

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
If I were him I would just get drafted and leave after the contract ends. Not sure I would go to Toronto they seem to be in shaky water. I would go to a team with other young guys (18-22 range)

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Why are people acting like he dominated in University this past season?

Plenty of prospects have turned down contracts to return to school
hell North Dakota 1st round prospects literally do it all the time

Buffalo, or any team who drafts him, are 95% likely to leave him at Michigan, regardless of what he thinks, because it’s clearly the best path for him. Buffalo let’s guys develop in college all the time, it’s pretty typical. I’m not sure why it’s even news.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Buffalo, or any team who drafts him, are 95% likely to leave him at Michigan, regardless of what he thinks, because it’s clearly the best path for him. Buffalo let’s guys develop in college all the time, it’s pretty typical. I’m not sure why it’s even news.

Buffalo literally rushed their most important prospect one of the most valuable prospects in the league at the time to the NHL though.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHelmet

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Not one for big moves but this flat cap changes things. Marner, Rielly and Hallander for the 1st pick. 11 million dollar players are tough to fit in this new world and Rielly won't be taking a home town discount. He's a PP2 guy and 5th on the kill. Not good at breaking up odd mans. Terrific at getting pucks out with a pass or his feet and can join the rush with ease.

Toronto gets their 15 year stud and gets cap space.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Buffalo literally rushed their most important prospect one of the most valuable prospects in the league at the time to the NHL though.

Eichel had nothing else to prove at the NCAA level. He was a superstar as a freshman and immediately stepped onto the Buffalo roster and was a great player. If you are an Eichel, Larkin, or Keller type player that was a star in college and project to immediately be an impact player at the NHL level you should go. Power was neither a star at the NCAA level nor does he project to be a star this coming season in the NHL.

If you are talking about Mittlestadt, you are correct. He was stupidly rushed and wandered in the wilderness for a couple of years. He was decent this year but his longterm ceiling was effected.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
So because they rushed one player under a previous GM, they now rush every player? Such a silly take.

Dude you're the one that said they let prospects develop in University. Da Fuq???

a Top 3 prospect rushed into the NHL when NOBODY thought he was that dominant at Minny.
He was a pretty important prospect for your organization

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Dude you're the one that said they let prospects develop in University. Da Fuq???

a Top 3 prospect rushed into the NHL when NOBODY thought he was that dominant at Minny.
He was a pretty important prospect for your organization
Jason Botterill was canned a while ago. Keep up.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Buffalo would be wise to build out their blueline before adding forwards. That would help them stop the bleeding and become a playoff bubble team. And a good defenseman can give 15 years to a franchise.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad